1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with CTF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TruebornRamsay, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TruebornRamsay

TruebornRamsay Catapult Fodder

Every map is extremely small and your second flag can be literally captured in seconds. Every game last less than a few minutes and building is utterly pointless; whoever wins the first sword fight wins the whole game pretty much. No strategy involved, just instant fighting and winning like deathmatch.

CTF was way better in alpha (except for ridiculous jumps with bombs). They really should consider adding bigger maps.

butterscotch likes this.
  2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

It's less an issue of map size and more an case of needing to refine map design & flag placement. If you'd like to come up with better maps, please do. Any truly great maps that have popular support with the community will likely be added to the vanilla out-of-the-box map cycle. ;)

{edit}
    Also, welcome to the forums. Do have a look around while you're here, as there are some really great resources for your average player. :)

giggiggiggiggig and Contrary like this.
  3. TruebornRamsay

TruebornRamsay Catapult Fodder

Well it just seems extremely rushed despite the week or 2 of development. The map size does become an issue when it limits features like building which is futile on a lot of the maps due to size and time restriction. I know it's supposed to be more like classic but a map with water in it and boats would be very fun imo.

Thanks for the welcome I've been browsing since I started playing a bit before beta was released but I've finally decided to post :)

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Fair enough; maps that don't give you enough space & time to build stuff around your flags obviously need reworking. That said, the 2 weeks you mention didn't really go into making/testing maps; the focus was on just trying to get things out asap so that the community could play ctf and (ideally) start to come up with great map designs. I think your comment about needing some decent water maps is spot on and if you have any kind of creative flair then I'd highly recommend you make a few and head to the maps section (https://forum.kag2d.com/forums/maps.90/) and share them with others, as this should help inspire them to try making a few water maps too. ;)

Also, glad you decided to post. It's more fun for everyone when both sides are communicating. :)

Contrary likes this.
  5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

There's at least one map where the flag is past where you can go during buildtime and both sides usually capture their opponent's flag from that spot right at the start of the match. That's dumb.

GloriousToast and Hawxx like this.
  6. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Yeah, I actually make sure my maps aren't like that because it's really pointless having two flags then.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Note that literally all of those maps were made by community members, their names are in the filename of the map and you can freely berate them about it :^) I think the point of those forward flags is to provide an opportunistic point where you can make quick caps from if you can hold it, but I've never seen that happen except in steamroll events.

As FBB says, I feel this is much more of a map issue than a gamemode design issue.

thebonesauce likes this.
  8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

This. I seriously can't even believe it's still being argued about. Make more maps if you're unhappy with the current state of things. I've played CTF a few times and had a blast, regardless of where the flags were/how bade mapes were/etcetcetc. Create some more content ya plebs.

norill likes this.
  9. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

I agree that CTF's problems mostly stem from map design/layout, but it isn't fixed by just making more maps. Server owners, administrators and staff need to take steps to install those maps which are currently largely ignored in the resource section. I can personally count on one hand the amount of times I have played on a non-official map and this isn't because the map looked terrible and I didn't want to join the server its because there is simply nobody hosting them.

Guitarman likes this.
  10. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Well yes, obviously everyone needs to make the effort.

My point is that everyone needs to stop pointing fingers at the devs when it's a community/server owner issue.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You could also, you know, forward them to us so we can patch them into default servers, and provide feedback on exactly which currently included community maps need removing or changing so that the default server situation can be improved.

12. Geti

(ideally in one thread rather than as 500 PMs to me that will get buried among such classics as PLS INCLUDE THIS HAT PLSSSS and UNBAND ME ADMIN I NO GRIF)

Guitarman and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  13. FuzzyBlueBaron