1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Default CTF maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Oct 4, 2013.

1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So, @Geti has asked for suggestions for new maps to add to the default CTF map cycle. He's also like feedback on any current maps that need changing/removing.

If you know of a good map, post it and I'll add it to the list for review.

If there's a particular map that doesn't work/needs fixing name it (maps & names can be found in KAG/Base/Maps/CTF/Community), tell us why it doesn't work/needs fixing, and I'll add it to the list for review.

Please try to keep talk focused on specific maps & their design-- if you want to discuss general aspects of CTF map design please do that here.
    ----

Suggested maps for the default cycle:
    • newValleyMap.png Fell's ValleyMap
    • Typhoon.png Skinney's Typhoon
    • Crypt.png Skinney's Crypt

Feedback on maps in need of fixing/removal:
    • MillenniumBell.png
    • Snatchmark.png
    • TresFlags.png
    • KoujiMap.png
    • EjMap.png
    • MonsteriCTF1.png
    • monctf2.png
    • rayctf.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Guitarman likes this.
  2. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Got bored made a valley map. Thats okay to be reviewed right...? Tried to make it reminiscent of the old school KAG.

So... What does my map have?

Geological Correctness
    • Loose stone up top. Heavier more compact stone on bottom.
    • Gold inside mountains or underneath rivers.
    • Map designed to emulate glacial drift, corrosion, and erosion.

Strategic Design
    • Large map to allow for epic castle building.
    • Gold strategically placed in areas needing exploration (delays siege engines)
    • Caverns strategically placed to allow more venues of attack on a 2D plane.
    • Cliffs strategically placed to provide extra defense (needs a knight to shield up for another knight to climb) from initial rushing.
    • Stone placed underneath flags.
    Aesthetic Appeal
    • Mirrored map designed to emulate natural valley formation.
    • Nostalgic feel with large mountain behind spawn and large mineral deposits ripe for mining.
    • Massive cave system designed specifically to provide a sense of adventure and reward from exploration.

ValleyMap.png

Edited the map. Took out bison. Made valley cliffs higher. Expanded initial build area. Improved it so that the trees would load and the foliage was just right. Made little fishy placement more random. Also changed file name so it would load.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    PUNK123, Guitarman and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  3. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

I currently have two CTF maps posted in the Resources section that I would like to see reviewed.

[​IMG]
    Resource
    Download

[​IMG]
    Resource
    Download

Feedback
    Everything I type here is my personal opinion, this opinion is not meant to be an attack against the person or persons whose maps I am reviewing and providing feedback on.

Official
    A particularly fun map that could be even more enjoyable with a few changes.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Intersecting terrain levels allow for unique strategies to be employed.
    Balanced amount of gold and trees for map size.
    Good visual cues for where resources are located.​
    Cons
    Lack of stone, especially at the start of the game leaves flags exposed from the get go.
    Lack of bedrock, elevated terrain can be completely removed making long games frustrating.
    Uppermost elevated terrain makes bomb jumping and catapults far too powerful.
    Tent too close to edge of map, the map's width could be increased to include more stone and trees without shrinking the combat area.​
    My favorite CTF map so far, my only complaint is the excessive amount of resources.​
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Very balanced even with the asymmetrical terrain.
    Good visual cues for where most resources are located.​
    Cons
    Overabundance of stone.​
    Particularly enjoyable as an archer.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Good flag placement, requires builders to work together to cover them all.
    Cons
    Lack of stone.
    Lack of trees in starting zone, could use at-least 1 more.
    Could use at-least 10 more blocks of sky.
    Water is mostly ignored due to the elevated terrain above it​
    Community
    Out of all the CTF maps, even the kag generated maps I dislike this one the most. I would like to see it either massively reworked or removed.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    None off the top of my head.​
    Cons
    Flag placement allows teams to bury flags making them nearly impossible to reach.
    Overabundance of stone.
    Overabundance of trees and lack of spacing between them.
    Bison are a nuisance at best.
    Water is mostly ignored due to the elevated terrain above it and the ridiculous amount of sharks.
    Platform blocks that I can only assume were meant to be gold.​
    A very solid and unique layout that is plagued by random resource and bedrock distribution.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Unique map layout
    Solid flag placement and layout​
    Cons
    Too much noise with resource distribution makes gathering more of a nuisance than it should be.
    Bedrock is too randomly placed, it should direct the flow of where builders dig.
    Random placement of underground water hinders digging and adds to the frustration of gathering resources.
    Excessive amounts of gold doesn't reward teams for taking key points on the map.
    Tents not placed on solid ground and too close to edge of map.​
    An absolutely fantastic map, this would be my favorite if not for a few shortcomings.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Simple layout allows for easy navigation
    Solid flag placement and layout
    Cons
    Excessive gold available in build area
    Lack of bedrock near the first flag and water allows for almost impregnable fortresses.​
    Annother fantastic map from Monsteri, my cons are only minor changes to boost player flow.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Cons
    Tree's near first flag should be spread out and moved, they look out of place and hinder initial construction.
    Bedrock on either side of the central lake should allow for tunneling to counter waterside towers.​
    An interesting concept for a map but one that I deplore playing. I would like to see this map extensively reworked or removed entirely.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Unique terrain​
    Cons
    Random smattering of resources with a complete lack of heavy stone.
    Tent is far too close to the edge of the map
    Excessive use of water without the bedrock to keep it contained or the space needed for naval warfare.
    Terrain that is difficult to navigate especially in the middle.
    Starting castle is an empty shell that is difficult to adapt into a working bastion, could use major improvements to layout.
    Underground widely ignored due to ease of flooding (lack of bedrock) and no notable tactical or strategic advantage.​
    This post will be edited to include feedback on other maps.​

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    PUNK123 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think maybe it could be helpful to also (maybe in a separate thread) discuss what exactly we think are good qualities in a CTF map.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

6. Skinney

A couple more reviews for maps currently in the default cycle.

Community
    A very solid and unique layout that is plagued by random resource and bedrock distribution.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Unique map layout
    Solid flag placement and layout​
    Cons
    Too much noise with resource distribution makes gathering more of a nuisance than it should be.
    Bedrock is too randomly placed, it should direct the flow of where builders dig.
    Random placement of underground water hinders digging and adds to the frustration of gathering resources.
    Excessive amounts of gold doesn't reward teams for taking key points on the map.
    Tents not placed on solid ground and too close to edge of map.​
    An absolutely fantastic map, this would be my favorite if not for a few shortcomings.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Cons
    Lack of bedrock near the first flag and water allows for almost impregnable fortresses.​

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

Thank you very much, Skinney. :)

Anyone else got any thoughts/criticisms to offer?

8. Skinney

You're welcome, I wish more people would post their criticisms and concerns. I hear enough complaints about maps in game, I find it odd how so few people will take that vocal opinion and move it onto the forums where it can be constructive.

Community
    Annother fantastic map from Monsteri, my cons are only minor changes to boost player flow.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Cons
    Tree's near first flag should be spread out and moved, they look out of place and hinder initial construction.
    Bedrock on either side of the central lake should allow for tunneling to counter waterside towers.​
    An interesting concept for a map but one that I deplore playing. I would like to see this map extensively reworked or removed entirely.
    [​IMG]
    Pros
    Unique terrain​
    Cons
    Random smattering of resources with a complete lack of heavy stone.
    Tent is far too close to the edge of the map
    Excessive use of water without the bedrock to keep it contained or the space needed for naval warfare.
    Terrain that is difficult to navigate especially in the middle.
    Starting castle is an empty shell that is difficult to adapt into a working bastion, could use major improvements to layout.
    Underground widely ignored due to ease of flooding (lack of bedrock) and no notable tactical or strategic advantage.​
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 7, 2013, Original Post Date: Oct 6, 2013 ---
    The more I play the more I think KAG would benefit from a no-build zone at the top of the map that would extend down X pixels. I think this would limit player interaction with the black area(the top of the map where blocks get bugged out and sprites get overlayed with solid black).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    FuzzyBlueBaron and Contrary like this.
  9. FuzzyBlueBaron

Just as a reminder, please keep all discussion of maps (as opposed to feedback on particular maps) here. Ta. :)

10. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Since this is like the only map I actually like, I thought I might let you guys critique.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/catigernus-ctf.16451/
    The images for the map, etc are on the thread. (Posted in resources.)

~~~
    https://forum.kag2d.com/attachments/gurin0-png.28212/
    A fun challenging CTF map with one flag per team, lots of stone on bottom of map, and a tonne of trees. ;)
    Pros:
    1. Easy Navigation
    2. Shows where mats can be found.
    3. Middle can be taken, but very hard to hold the point.
    4. Not "capture middle 2 win", type of map.
    5. Balanced terrain.
    6. Flat terrain for 1v1.
    Cons:

1. People can easily cover the flag with stone.
    2. Camp at flag. ~ (I mean by building a fort in the little mountain at the spawn(s).
    (Can't think of more off the top of my head)
    ToDo:
    I might be updating my map. ~ Change the mountains at spawn a little. So people can't so easily bury the flag. (May change tent position.)
    Also, decrease the amount of trees.

UPDATED:: https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/catigernus-ctf.41/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/ctf-drifter.30/
    Would like another to be critiqued'. (It's good for feedback, etc.)

A two-flag-per-team CTF. With floating either side, and a collapse ancient temple in the centre.

image.jpg
    Pros:

1. Flat areas for 1v1
    2. Tunnelling starters in the temple.
    3. Water for drill cooldown(s)
    4. Alot of stone for long games.
    Cons:
    1. Alot of stone (minecrafters, i suppose.)
    2. Can't think of more off the top of my head. (Atm).

Updates/toDo: may be fixing the temple a little. Fix 'thick stone' placement to look a more satisfying.
    Maybe put a solid block under-neath the tents.

~
    Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You can't break the top blocks covering the flag in Rayne_NerysRidge. The stone blocks should be moved 1px higher to avoid the bug.

Thanks for the feedback. Is the gold excessive, though? Usually there's at least one asshole who digs up all the gold and leaves the pile somewhere to decay. You'll need a lot of siege in this map as well to win.

The trees were actually supposed to be bushes, but seems like I picked the wrong colour. I'll fix that and nag Geti to update the map, same with bedrock.

12. Skinney

Each block of gold represents 20 gold, you have 16 blocks (320 gold) that are easily accessible, 15 blocks (300 gold) that take a little more effort and 4 blocks (80 gold) that are a waste of time. Combine all of these values and you have a total of 700 gold available just in the build area at the start of the game. Now I agree that Catapults, Ballistas, Warboats and Tunnels are key in these larger maps to win however they should not be so easily accessible from the get go. How gold is distributed in this map, teams don't have to make any choices regarding what shops they start with due to the supply of the resource. Not to mention there is little strategic advantage to securing additional gold available in the center of the map.

Regarding resource decay and other CTF issues you can discuss them here!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

This map needs more immediatly visible gold, since boats are required to actually play this map, and you need 50 gold to build the boat workshop. 2-3 blocks should do.

Fellere825 likes this.
  14. Fellere825

Thanks for the feedback bud. When testing the map I actually have been considering reducing the center valley in size. So I'll do that when I'm free.

Edit: I was free. Made the valley shallower. Reduced Water Levels. Added Island in the middle. Added more visible gold in mountains.
    ValleyMap.png

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Monsteri likes this.
  15. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

My faveroutes are:
    Fell's valley map
    Skinney's crypt
    Raynes_liquidate

#All in no perticular order
    I very much like they way the terrarin is laid out in @Rayne 's map. I like the unique battle style that it would bring in.

16. >planned out everything on the map
    >everything's random

getiface.jpg

edit: also lol, how can anyone like the waterstall map

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Fellere825 likes this.
  17. Fellere825

Map edit. If anyone else has anymore feedback please tell me. The map could always use some improvement. Thanks EJ for the feedback, it was spot on and really helpful.
    ValleyMap.png

Took out the giant lake in the middle.
    Fleshed out the caves so that people could move in without digging.
    Battle ground in middle has more elevation.

Monsteri and Contrary like this.
  18. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Take a look at my maps.

HiddenPoverty.png
    UndergroundRiver.png

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  19. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

FuzzyBlueBaron and Contrary like this.
  20. Fellere825

FourRivers.png

edit of the valley map keeping the water in the center.
    expanded the middle island
    added more tunnels
    added more gold
    shallower lake
    wider map
    flag further from spawn

Thank you Chrispin and Hella for the feedback. It was very helpful and hopefully this edit will address those issues present in that game we played. Feedback is always appreciated, I will try my best to be receptive and adapt the map to the feedback presented.

Guitarman and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.