1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Starfarer- A cross between space pirates and zombies and mount and blade!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by One, Feb 26, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Main site: http://fractalsoftworks.com/
    Basically this game Starfarer, is a mix between spaz and mount and blade, if you have played spaz then you would know how repetitive the combat is, in this the combat is fun and you can really feel the power behind the weapons. Unfortunately it is in alpha, meaning not much content. But there is enough to keep you going for awhile! About 10 or so missions, i find them all impossible except the first one. (I'm terrible at strategic games) Its currently 10 dollars, and prone to change. If you enjoy space combat, strategy or rpgs i suggest you buy this game.
    Current Features

• Pilot your ship in top-down 2d combat
    • Command your fleet in tactical battles
    • Detailed combat mechanics
    • Customize your ship’s loadout before battle
    • Explore a war-torn star system
    • Mod support for user-made factions, missions, ships, and weapons
    Upcoming Features
    • Play your own character who gains experiences and upgrades skills
    • Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
    • Explore the sector for knowledge and profit
    • Trade goods, run mining operations, build industries — and defend your interests
    • Become involved in factional politics
    The videos you are about to watch are of a earlier version, it now includes the basis of a campaign mode.

Vidar and Wonkyth like this.
  2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

So, is it at all like the old DOS game Wing Commander: Privateer?

3. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

It's true that the game in it current state in not content rich, but I am still having a lot of fun with ship builds and the tactical hurdles specific to each ship and fleet build.

When you start a new sandbox game, you start with one ship, usually a frigate, and attempt to slowly build your squadron against mercenaries and pirates. Your weak in the early stages, and only pick fights with other solo frigates, or small bands of fighter class crafts. Winning earns you money, artillery, resources and sometimes the ability to overtake vessels and add them to your forces via marines. Eventually you should be able to compete against large fleets of fighters, frigates, cruisers, destroyers and other behemoths. I've spent about 4 hours with it, its unforgiving and has a bit of a learning curve, but I'm excited to see where it might go.

What is playable so far is a blast.

Since the Alpha price is 10 dollars outright, and there is no playable demo, I don't think it is getting the attention it has the potential to garnish. The developer will have to find a way to increase exposure without a 10 dollar purchase.

I'm very glad I bought it, I look forward to future updates.

One likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi