1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Spike Properties

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duplolas, Jan 23, 2014.

?

Of these answers, what would you like to see happen?

1. Allow spikes to be placed with the option to use either stone or wood spike placement properties

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Gives spikes a buff to extend and retract faster when on stone

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Do nothing

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

If you didn't know, spikes have different properties when placed on different surfaces. With stone, spikes can expand and retract, with everything else they stay up.

Only problem with this is that in some cases, like vertical surfaces, having spikes always being out is better. Which brings us to what I would like to talk about.

When spikes are placed on stone, they extend and retract on a delay, leaving time for players to run over them without being injured. That's why vertical surfaces with wood blocks and spikes work better. Though, wood can be set on fire and is less durable.

So, what I think would be good is if you could change if a spike trap can extend and retract by binding it to the space bar when first being placed on stone. Default, they will remain as they are now.

Or, simply make it so there is no delay when spikes extend. That no matter what, they do damage.

Either or works good. One is more complex and adds another layer of gameplay to builder and the other is simple. Both however give a small buff to builder that I think would be good.

Piano likes this.
  2. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Sounds nice and interesting, but I can see a griefer argument starting up over this. I would personally love it, but that's just me.

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

A smart builder makes good traps utilizing stone/dirt or stone/wood combinations. Also, a smart builder doesn't make traps and instead helps his team advance ground and win so this point is moot anyway.

101i likes this.
  4. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

You shouldn't feel bad for making fast, cost-effective traps during build time, or when there's a bit of a lull where your team isn't pushing.

Anyway, back to the OP.. There's already a solution to this. If you want constantly extended spikes on your walls (Which i hate builders for doing, because it makes life hard for your own archers), checker your buildings with both stone AND wood. Done properly, the building is impervious to firespread, while letting you utilize always-extended spikes.

5. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I don't quite understand why people do this, to be honest. The original post suggests a small change to make life easier on a player, then someone else comes in and says "oh, well we don't need that if you're good enough". No offense intended, but it's posts like these that make new additions to the game few and far between.

Getting back on topic, this small, but useful addition to spikes would really expand on stone building design. No longer would a stone trap be easy to break out of. You could make it so it kills anyone before they can attack the platform at the top. I really, really like the idea of this, and if not this, then something similar. Two different types of spikes maybe.

6. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I'm just suggesting solutions that are already in the game... I'm in no way trying to sound elitist. I agree though, a spacebar function for making spikes retract/stay out constantly would be a neat addition.

7. orange_otter_01

orange_otter_01 Ballista Bolt Thrower

they should just go back to classic spikes that way you cant line ur buildings with spikes and be invincible

8. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I don't think so. extending and retracting spikes is a good feature in the guy. I just feel like you shouldn't have to change the type of block you use to receive a certain outcome.

9. orange_otter_01

its over powered and takes the fun out of kag!:>:(::>:(::>:(::>:(::>:(::>:(::>:(:

10. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

How in any way does lining your building with spikes provide a significant advantage?

Any half-decent archer can grapple a building covered in spikes without taking a single hit, the only thing it prevents really, is wall-floating, which is fine. A single bomb can blow up like 3 sets of spikes.

Builders can also destroy spikes in like 2 or 3 hits, making them the most fragile entity in the game.

11. orange_otter_01

you dont get it do you?
    spikes are constantly jabbing out at you and when builders try and destroy a set of spikes: STABSTABSTAB
    you need to have alot of bombs (15) to destroy an entire lining of spikes from a tower or a castle

12. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Lol. Why would you stand directly on them to destroy them? You don't need to break all of them, just the ones that stop you from what you're doing. Then you can just collapse the rest of the tower/base/whatever.

Spikes are on a delay, unless you need to stay in one spot to do something, you can just run straight past them most of the time. Or if you're a SMART builder, you can just place woodblocks or something over them to provide safe passage.

Spikes are by no means overpowered. Heck, compared to sawmills they're kinda useless for traps and the only purpose they really serve is to kill bad players / make minecrafters waste more stone.

Also 15 bombs is an exaggeration, unless you're absolutely horrible at bomb throwing.

13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Get back on topic please. The point of the debate is whether or not to add another options for spikes, not discuss the validity of using spikes when building.

14. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

^There's no good reason not to add more functionality to spikes. There's absolutely no downside i can think of to adding it in, and since they don't currently have a spacebar function, why not?

/thread.

There's really nothing else to say.

15. orange_otter_01

im a half decent archer and i cant get over a spike-lined tower un-scathed

16. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Then you don't know how to grapple vault.

It's pre' simple really. Just hold the direction opposite to the wall (if the wall is to your left, hold D), while falling, grapple at just the last moment before your hook would go out of range, keep holding away from the wall, and let go as the grappling hook launches you into the air. (basically bungee jumping :3)

Edit: -sigh- this is getting out of topic. I just need to post a guide on archer stoof.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  17. This change would contribute to more constant stalemates because of the spike spamming.

18. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I don't really see this happening unless you're talking about a server like crazy CTF where stone just falls from the sky in the thousands... If this change caused builders to use spikes more, it just means their walls would be shorter/thinner due to lack of stone.

This could lead to unintelligent uses of spikes appearing way more often, however.. (unintentionally dirt-spiking on stone, thus harming your team), but meh.. Every tool can be used improperly.

19. I was talking about the change on effectiveness about spikes. If they had no reaction time it would be much more difficult for a team to get to a hall/flag if properly defended.

20. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

But these already exist. If the spikes were set to not retract and have no delay, they could damage their own team, just like spikes on dirt/wood/bedrock currently do. And they would also have the same property of only damaging you upon falling on them/walking directly into them. If you walked along a field of constantly-out spikes, you would take no damage unless you jumped.

Mods: Rainbows