1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Open letter to Aphelion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by norill, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It was a security mechanism, nothing malicious.

This will give you an idea of what it was:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. If it is offtopic, perhaps it should be moved to a new thread, as this is a fairly valid concern - regardless of whether or not it works, which it does not, it appears to have malicious intent. What function exactly, in your own words, was these few lines meant to do?

3. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Updated my post.

4. Okay. I'm satisfied with that response.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Note that I said "break content" not "fuck with server settings". I don't have a huge problem with that implementation of stuff since none of those settings are particularly hard to revert, but it'd be more polite to have a pop-up over the client's screen explaining that the content was taken when it shouldn't have been, or more imaginative to embed a rickrolling animation that plays.

I'm going to decline to comment on the whole thing, but I'm pretty tired of the drama around modders stealing each others stuff even when that stuff is already shared w/ permissive licenses.

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So. :huh?:

Clearly my hopes that norill & Aphelion could come to a neat resolution and people in general could come to an agreement on how we as a community do these things from here on out (i.e. establish a general code of conduct or what have you) were overly optimistic. Sigh. Sorry. I guess I'll have to restrain my belief in the majik of people being decent human beings to one another. >_>

Now that you've all had a good stomp on my dreams I'd like to propose* two changes to the nature of this thread:
    • One: norill, Aphelion, and the particular details of their case are topica non grata in this thread from here on out. While I'd love to hear that norill & Aphelion have sorted their dispute to their mutual satisfaction, that's clearly not going to happen here (particularly with you here, Klok, I'm afraid. You type a lot in Aphelion's defense, which does you credit, but it also has the side effect of muddying the waters due to your sheer volume of output plus everyone and their dog trying to reply to you). I would strongly urge both norill & Aphelion to strive for an outcome that satisfies both of them as the longevity of KAG is dependent on the strength/cohesion of the modding community. If you want a mediator feel free to PM me.
    • Two: any further discussion aught to be focused on how we as a community would like to see modding resources shared in the future. Ofc, even if we reach an agreement there's nothing stopping someone from ignoring it completely, but having such an rule would provide guidance for uncertain peoples as well as lend a modicum of justification to treating those who ignore said rule. :3
    Have at it (if you will). :gear:

*NB: I'm actually being a total prat here-- I say "propose", but what I actually mean is "this is happening, deal with it". Basically I'm doing this to try and salvage something from the thread and as an alternative to locking it to prevent another bunfight.

7. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

[​IMG]
    Just give people credit... Its simple just say, "I borrowed code from ___________" or if you really coded it yourself then you coded it yourself. Simple answers to convoluted problems.

8. Arcrave

Arcrave http://tinyurl.com/ArcravesTheme Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

ITT:

[​IMG]

startselect3 likes this.
  9. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Please: There should be some sort of punishment if this isn't carried out...

Or maybe just the lovely get sued thing.

startselect3 likes this.
  10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The punishment is called ostracism by the community. It's why this should have been a PM first, then public second. If Aph fixes it over PM, it's done and over. If it gets posted first, then fixing things is just him "copping out" and "saving face" even though he might have done it with just a polite request. (We can't know now because it was never attempted!)

But yes, ostracism by the community and people hating your guts is generally why code theft and the like don't happen, unless the person literally doesn't care at all. They'd have to be a complete sociopath though if that were the case.

11. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

its not very hard to ignore the opinions of jewnoses on the forums when making any type of posts.

Apronymous and startselect3 like this.
  12. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

My opinions. please don't hurt me
    If you take something give credit
    If someone isn't following the rules this kind of thread can be created (it's obviously a pretty good punishment)
    This thread should die

13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

/agree
    /agree

...right after pming the offender and receiving no reply or receiving negativity in return!

14. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I think Klok is trying to tell us something, but I can't quite make it out; maybe if you repeat it a few times more...?

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Actually, threads like these should not be closed.

Overclosing of threads due to oversensitive individuals is exactly what leads to stale ideas that never go anywhere. There was actually very little flaming in this thread (including removed posts). However, in the future what should happen instead is that these threads should inevitably be split, discussion of, and actual posts. Discussion from outside parties is going to happen, if not on the forums somewhere else, this gives people who don't have another discourse the ability to partake, it also allows differing views to actually clash and attempt to curry favor for their thoughts, this is essentially the main reason for a forum, discussion. Stopping discussion because you believe it is too volatile (before it actually is anything close to outright flaming) makes it nothing but a carebear zone where nothing gets done, no one worthwhile stays, and no one changes their opinions, ever. Essentially you create tumblr syndrome "These are the people I like and I talk to them, cause I can't talk on the forums about it", so you develop your own ideas and end up with little individual groups having with something akin to a mental superiority complex. (I can't say I also am not phased by this).

PMing the offender is an optional step really, these types of things have their positive reasons to see the light of day as well, it is not just naming and shaming (which is not always bad), if they stay silent you will never know and the person can easily do it multiple times without people knowing. As you yourself did not know of the previous deal and I had to tell you several times over the forums despite you being clearly very close to Aphelion.

A PM as well however is a great step if it's a first time thing or if the person seems to have genuinely done it as a mistake/not have noticed your licensing. I would like to see similar to the starbound forums mod resource area, licensing being an addition to every mod, so that it becomes quite clear what is and isn't available.

16. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

I've always wanted a system where you could comment on a post without getting involved with a thread. Somewhere where klok could repeat that you should pm and yagger can call people jewnoses.

17. Superblackcat

I'm not quite sure why Aphelion is so hurt over this...

He made a mistake of stealing, norill called him out on it. Norill didn't even fucking force a punishment or something. He just said that aphelion needs to change his shit in accordance to the law. Others could, and would sue for it. It's America, get ready to be sued. It's a sue happy country. Aphelion is hurt that norill called him out on stealing? This is quite mild, IMO. And would've been solved if Aphelion came in, said Sorry Norill, I'll either add the credits, or delete all your shit from my servers. That easy. One post.

But this thread is also discussing what should happen in case this happens in the future. Which will be inevitable. So we should stop getting butthurt over every post, and discuss why something would work, what would work, and how to change it for the better in the future. Like fucking adults.

Personally, a thread where this is reported. The offender gets PMed when their name is put into the thread. If it's not changed within a week. The server goes offline, goes bye bye. and Some other punishment for the offender. (Which I would add, is quite mild compared to getting sued).

startselect3 and BlueLuigi like this.
  18. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

I think it's pretty obvious this thread has done its job and nothing more will happen now (than hate and useless posts), why it isn't locked yet? I had hope it would be yesterday and today as well but mods are just watching shit going down with some popcorn?

The subject is pretty over and is now not going anywhere usefull. Can we end this thing?

19. Superblackcat

20. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

It's clearly not fitting in this thread from my view, if anyone is willing to speak about it, i'm pretty sure it would be much greater in a clean thread than this open letter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.