1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

new chat console (hiding certain events)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by darDar, Jun 13, 2014.

?

Yes or No ?

1. Yes

87.5%
  2. No

12.5%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

Hello,
    I've always disliked the way of how chat messages are being displayed. If you are in a game but want to follow the chat you simply can't do that. You can either play and will miss the chat, or you will watch the chat but can't play.

There are simply too many events happening (player joined the server, player quit, etc.)
    I dont know if there is a way to remove those events in the chat but I think the actual chat-messages should be more outstanding than they are right now.
    If there is no option in the settings to hide certain events maybe add such.

That's it, please use the poll to vote for Yes or No and add your thoughts if you have some.

RadioActive, Gurin and 101i like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Does it help to say that you can use pgdn/pgup to scroll the chat window?

3. darDar

no, I want to see the Chat without losing the focus on the game, that's why the messages should be more outstanding (larger). Clicking Pgdn/pgup while navigating with WASD is not really causing a smooth gameplay in my opinion.

PS: the game has tiny emotions + comic look, such a 'linux terminal style' chat-window doesnt really fit in my opinon.
    I might add some layouts.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can bump the size in guiSkin.cfg

Code:
    chatConsoleFont = GUI/Fonts/DejaVu/DejaVuSans.ttf
    chatConsoleFontTTFSize = 10
    Exposing that stuff in the options menu is on some long-lost TODO, it's actually kinda tricky to do though (frustratingly due to really really old code used there).

Splitting it into events and chat could be an interesting idea - was just wondering if you were "missing the chat" in the sense of not being able to read back the chat buffer.

Would be interested to see some layouts. It's not something I've considered changing for a long time.

5. darDar

okey, but by changing consolefontsize to something else the server events would be affected as well.
    So, maybe just add an option like
    chatConsoleMessageSize = 10 <- font size option for chat messages
    chatConsoleEvemtSize = 10 <- font size option for server events (joined the game , left the game, ...)
    by setting the latter one to = 0 it would be invisible, it might add just spaces then which would be buggy.

got some work to do now but I will add some ideas later

6. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

more bothered by how it's harder to log kills in Beta

any equivalent cc_killfeed for beta?

7. Geti

No, because you don't need to log anything except for interoperability with external program, and you can code your own logger for that using the rules callbacks for events like a blob dying, player taking damage, and so on, used in vanilla for the scoreboard and the like.

8. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I always thought it would be cool if teamchat would be displayed above your character. It would disappear after a few seconds and be translucent, similar to the way DoTA does chat.

9. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

No, I can follow chat while playing, Deal with it :smug:

10. Armitage1982

Armitage1982 Shark Slayer

Anyway, what he say is true : it's not useful to know in the chat window who logged in, that "player is know as player69" or that team is unbalanced.
    Just add an unbalanced title/icon on top corner or something, it will be easier to see.

Mods: Rainbows