1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Movies!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thebonesauce, Feb 14, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

What are your favorite movies? A specific genre? Anything in particular you wanna talk about?

First up is Blade Runner. This was the movie that really changed my life, and even more so having seen the 2007 director's cut where they removed the tacky as fuck ending and shitty voice overs trying to emulate the 40s crime noir bullshit. The movie has such thick philosophical undertones; the Replicants are searching for longevity, a way to experience more life seeing as they haven't experienced much only having a four year lifespan. They're simply searching for all the answers that we all are; Who am I? Where did I really come from? Where am I going? Obviously, the atmosphere is what everyone remembers, the gritty, dark, rainy, grimy LA underbelly. Overpopulated and culturally diverse.

The most poignant scene in the film has to be Batty's death scene. After sparing Deckard's life, he sits and says something that Rutger Hauer came up with on the spot; "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-Beams glitter in the darkness near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..." I tear up every time. The Replicants in many cases are more human than human, just as Tyrell says in the beginning of the movie. They develop very intense emotions for each other, they cling to photos trying to have a grip on anything resembling a past... They attack Tyrell, knowing full well all the knowledge that the geneticists had was in their brains, hoping, grasping at straws, praying there was a way to give themselves more life. Roy cries when Pris dies, because it was his one love in his life, and knowing that he is the last one and will be dying shortly saves Deckard's life. As he goes, he releases the dove that he was clinging to, just to have something that was alive in his hands in his final moments... Still one of the few moments in any movie that breaks my heart and sucks me in every time I see it.

Next, I wanna talk about Super.

Super is a newer film with Rainn Wilson, best known as Dwight Schrute from the American version of The Office. In this film, he plays a pathetic, shlubby guy named Frank who watches as his recovering drug addict wife (played by Liv Tyler) slips out of his fingers and into the arms of a suave drug dealer named Jock (played by Kevin Bacon). When Frank experiences a (rather graphic) vision of his brain being touched by the finger of God, he decides to become a super hero, known to the populace as The Crimson Bolt. His catch phrase? "SHUT UP, CRIME!" He runs around the city in his shitty Buick and smacks people around with a pipe wrench, and it's just as dark and funny every time I see it.

Ellen Page is also in this film as Frank's spunky sidekick named Libby, also known as Boltie. The movie was directed by James Gunn, previously known for Troma movies and his gory horror flick Slither. He certain makes an impact in this film because while it is insanely demented and horrifyingly funny, it also takes a serious look at Frank as a person and poses one simple statement; All that it takes to fight crime is the will to want to stop the forces of evil.

If you haven't seen this movie, please, do it. It's in my top 10 favorite films of all time.

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Suggestion: for spoilers use the
    Code:
    [spoiler]secret stuff of secretness[/spoiler]
    to create spoilers like this:
    Why did you click me?

On Topic: On comedy movie I enjoyed was Shawn of the Dead. It took everything that makes a zombie movie standard and (personally) boring and mad it a great comedy. I really enjoyed the jokes and parodies in it, and it felt more like what would actually happen if zombies were real. I felt the ending could have been a little better, but it was still overall very enjoyable.

3. thebonesauce

Then you'll love Super. It's right in the same vein of very dry, dark comedy.

4. lehoon

lehoon King

Contact
    Up in the Air
    Stranger than Fiction

oh, and Anchorman
    "Great story. Compelling, and rich."

Contrary likes this.
  5. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Hell yes.

Also, I quite like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. And Batman. Batman is also good.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

These were pretty rad. Dat tragicomedy.

My favourites would probably be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future and The Breakfast Club.

Vidar likes this.
  7. thebonesauce

You have excellent taste.

You rule Contrary, and your favorite movies are amazing as well. Eternal Sunshine is just one of those movies that you need to see in your lifetime, and makes you appreciate the relationships you have that much more. Groundhog Day is one of the funniest, most interestingly/surprisingly philosophical movies in a long time. As for BttF and The Breakfast Club, well... They're classics. What more can be said?

Contrary likes this.
  8. lehoon

lehoon King

Yeap.
    </br>--- merged: Mar 13, 2012 7:11 AM ---</br>

9. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I really can't say which movie is my favourite. I just can't, there are too many films I want people to sit down and watch.​
    I can however say that I am big fan of horror movies, more specifically: Horror movies containing zombies.​
    No real idea what's so appealing about the whole premise. Zombies starts showing up, taking over the world, bite by bite. I think it has something to do with the whole dehumanization of a person and our inability as the human race do anything about it.​
    Or maybe it is just because I fucking love seeing zombies getting killed in funny and clever ways. Watching a group of people desperatly trying to survive against a horde of zombies with whatever tools they have at their disposal. I love it.​
    Everything from "Braindead" (Dead Alive) to the more recent and serious series "The Walking Dead," I just can't enough of zombies. They are after all the reason I bought KAG in the first place.​
    Now, let's get down to it. My favourite zombie movie so far, the one that I think defines the whole genre perfectly is the 1985 movie, "George Romero's Day of the Dead."
    [​IMG]

Now this my dear honey badgers. This is the real fracking deal. This movie is everything you would expect from a good zombie movie. Strained relations between the survivors because of the immense pressure of getting their brains eaten by zombies. Awesome zombie experiments, trying to figure out how they work. And last but not least, some of the most gruesome zombie death scenes I've ever seen.​
    I borrowed this movie to a friend once, he made the stupid misstake of eating spaghetti with minced meat while watching it. The day after, "I will never eat minced meat again."​
    There's no cgi bullshit here, everything you see is real. The effects were made by no other than Tom Savini, you heard me. Mister fucking sex machine, from the movie "From Dusk till Dawn." Sadly no cock-gun in this one.​
    They used old food to simulate the insides of a human person during the "gobble gobble" scenes. It is said that this meat went bad and started to smell horribly during the shooting of this movie.​
    If you love zombies, watch this damn movie. Prepare to be awestruck by some amazing shit.​
    Oh, I almost forgot!​
    "CHOKE ON 'EM!"
    You will understand once you've seen the movie. I wont spoil anything.​

Edit: Well look at that, 100 posts! This is the greatest achivement in my life, so far. I am aiming for 1000!

10. MacD

MacD Shark Slayer

Favourite movie? I'm not sure on that one. Genre? B-rated horror movies (fuck yeah Troma)

If you enjoyed The Human Centipede, do yourself a favor and don't watch the second one. It was a pile of shit, I'm pretty sure it was just made to try and shock people.

11. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Similar to the first, then?

thebonesauce likes this.
  12. Titmau5

Titmau5 Bison Rider Staff Alumni

If you like scary movies watch "Candyman". You wont sleep for a week.

thebonesauce likes this.
  13. MacD

MacD Shark Slayer

It makes the first movie look like a quality movie in comparison.

14. Chayeh

Chayeh Shopkeep Stealer

Do the Right Thing by Spike Lee is my favorite movie. It's his best movie and the reason he gets a pass on a lot of the mediocre movies he makes. It's probably the best movie on race, well maybe besides Killer of Sheep.
    [​IMG]

15. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

How did Blade Runner change your life? What age did you see it?

My favourite movie is probably Tilsammen (Together), a Danish film set in 70's Sweden about an abused mother who packs her bags and flees from her alcoholic football hooligan husband to her "free spirited" leftist brother, and lives in his commune. It's a black, bleak comedy. You ever hear the term "Finnish Theatre"? Well, it applies here. It's cheerier than that term would suggest though. Can't say more for fear of spoilers, but I will say that it touches on all bar one of the things I've ever been interested in (Although to be fair to the director, it'd be hard to shoe horn post humanism in).

Movies :D

Mods: BlueLuigi