1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Make Builder the default spawn

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by bobotype, Apr 12, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

Why is the Knight always the class one spawns as first off the bat? Builder makes the most sense to be the initial spawn class-- health value inbetween that of the Archer's 2 and Knight's 4, supposedly the icon of the game due to its unique construction system, and most of all the fact that the Builder is literally the only class you should be playing as in the opening build time.

The only thing default Knight spawn is good for is when base is invaded by spawn campers, but then again you should be going Builder to wall up the base anyway, not Knight. Having Knight as the always-first spawn is illogical.

2. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I assume you're speaking mainly of take-the-halls?

The biggest reason i can think of for spawning as knight, is so that you actually have to go and take the hall to switch to builder, that way you're not missing out on supply drops during build time.

3. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

I thought any class could capture a hall in TTH.

4. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Yes, but in a small game, if new people started as builder, they might be compelled to gather a bunch of materials before even approaching the hall, which would mean missing out on supply drops.

RadioActive likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For the record, the choice to spawn players as a combat class initially rather than as a builder is to help support new players - new players make TERRIBLE builders, and benefit from watching people who know what they're doing for a few games. I believe the time it takes for someone experienced to swap from knight to builder at the start of the game (ie a few seconds taken to hold WA or WD and then a second to tap E and click) is easily justified by all the time saved fixing new builder's mistakes, and supplying the team with a nice wave of lemmings.

This can be changed in a mod if you wish to test how it goes, I'm not likely to change it in vanilla. Look at how players are spawned on next-map and on joining the game in the take the halls rules code.

emasame and KingMufasa like this.
  6. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

With respect, won't players be becoming builders somewhere along the road anyway once they get bored of Knight? Mistakes will inevitably be made by new Builders, because they have to start playing Builder at some point and making those learner mistakes, and playing as Knight and observing architecture isn't really going to fix that unless they play as Knight for a very long time. I don't really know if it's an innate thing during that time for new players to be scrutinising wall and trap structure rather than learning bomb jumps and doubleslashes.

Or can the Builder at least have the central spot on the minimenu, like this
    Archer>Builder>Knight
    Because my inner OCD, I hope you can understand, is killing me that it doesn't go 2 Hearts 3 Hearts 4 Hearts.

7. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

I really have no idea why you should spawn as builder at first, as Geti mentioned that would mean trouble. Why not something like this:
    • New accounts spawn as knights/archers
    • At the start of a game, everyone start as a builder, except new accounts, this should hopefully make more players participate in the building time.
    • Experienced players also spawn as knights/archers outside of build time.

8. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

Weird, Apronymous deleted his post

9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

<Deleted by Apronymous, Sunday at 6:24 PM, Reason: Realised this is a TTH thread. I don't play TTH so my post is probably built on a foundation of igno.>

Mods: Rainbows