1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG - Collectible Card Game

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ej, Apr 28, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Contrary suggested here designing a real card game and 2 hours later I had basic mechanics. So it's time someone started a thread.

Keep in my mind that the rules are super alpha and I'm posting them to get some feedback from you.

DA RULES:
    Basic:
    -Every deck consists of 25 cards.
    -Every player can has in his deck only certain number of non-player cards. Player cards are limited only to one per each.
    -Every player starts the game with 50 lives, if he loses them all he loses the game.
    -If a player cannot put on the table any card he loses the game.
    Cards:
    -Type of cards are: resources, items and players.
    Resources are piles of: wood, stone and gold. They are needed to summon player cards.
    Items are: bombs, arrows and catapults. You can support player cards with them. They don't cost anything
    Players are: knights, builders and archers. They are described and limited by some certain rules in which we will look later.
    - Every card which was used/killed/whatever goes back to the bottom of the deck.
    -Every player should have 5 cards on the hand all the time, if he uses/loses/whatever any given number of cards he should draw this certain number from his deck.

Woah, boring things done. Now let's talk about the juice.
    thefield.JPG
    The things above is the battlefield. Rectangles with 'P' are places where you can place your cards but only on your side!).
    The arrows show your range:
    Range of knights and builders is the red arrow (only melee combat).
    The blue arrow is range of archers, they can pass two rectangles with their shots.
    Horizontal position doesn't matter, you can attack everything in any line you can reach.
    Every player card can move forward, backward, left and right. However, knights are the only class which can move without losing their turn, after they attack. However, they can move only forward when doing this.
    'Turn' is considered to be attack or waiting during 'attacking sickness'.
    Player cards with 'attacking sickness' cannot do anything when they are having this.
    'RESOURCES' square is the place where you store your resources card. There is no limit there.

Now, the cards. I prepared 2 basic concepts:
    knight.JPG
    A player card showing a knight.
    -The big number in the left corner indicates his 'attacking sickness'. When it's 1 he can attack every 1 turn, so he practically doesn't have this sickness (most of knights don't, builders and archers do).
    -In the lower left corner you can see his cost of summoning (or hiring, it's a knight, not a dragon).
    100/100/10 tells us we need to sacrifice 100 wood, 100 stone and 10 gold to get this card to the battlefield.
    He is so expensive due to 2 things:
    -his unit counter is 3/1. It means every time he attacks the enemy loses 3 units and you lose 1. It's pretty good for a knight.
    -his special ability: the bombjump ability means he can use a bomb item to pass a single front line and attack cards behind it.

But how to get resources to summon cards? It's simple, you use builders. Every builder can spend his turn mining which lets you to put to your resources zone 2 resources cards. It's the easiest thing to do since most of the builders builders are terrible at combat.

Now:
    250stone.JPG
    A stone pile card.
    Pretty simple to describe:
    It provides you 250 stone.
    The 'L:2' in the right lower corner says limit of this card is 2. It means you can have only 2 cards of this kind in your deck.

How to play:
    At start, both players picks 3 player cards (at least 1 builder, to get any resources in the future) and place them 'reversed' (bottom side on the top) on a chosen rectangle on their side of the table. After both of them did it they reveal their cards.
    Then, one of the players start his turn. He can attack with his cards, mine with his builder(s) and when he finished this 'stage' he can put on the table 2 additional player cards (if he can afford them) and 1 item card.
    Then the 2nd player does the same. And the 1st one does the same again.

If you aren't confused enough and someone is willing to classify this and make this logical and understandable to everyone I can explain items.

Also:
    feedback?

Rayne, Blueboy23, Rambo and 7 others like this.
  2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

lol I had a huge post written up but I realized some flaws in it then I forgot about it. Overcomplicated mess, read if you like.

So that rad KAG card thread Rambo made got me thinking, we can do better than putting stats into a Yugioh card template; lets make a real card game because we are a collection of talented motherfuckers.

I figure me and/or some other people can crank out cards in MSPaint or whatever. We can use edits of sprites and it will look good if we add backgrounds and shit like that.

So, idea time. Go wild, though try to remember somewhere in the back of your head that it's best to make the game as complex as possible from mechanics that are as simple as possible.

My ideas:

Board: To represent the push pull of KAG, the game would be divided into five squares arranged horizontally. You would play units in your zone and move them forward if there are no units occupying your square. You win the game if you can clean out the enemy's final square.

Resources: Every card would be payed for with stone, wood, and/or gold (the concept of coins can be collapsed into this). You wouldn't need to use every kind of resource, it would be viable to run a deck solely off of wood or stone. I think gold should be for special stuff so a gold only deck wouldn't work very well if at all.

Structures:

Mines/Mills: Generates resources. Special mines or mills can have special effects like an extra draw for more cost. Placed off in their own area.

Buildings: Have a health value and can be played one per square. Have special effects like blocking movement and giving archers extra range.

Structures and workshops: Have special effects and can be played alongside or without buildings.

Characters: Characters are played in the home zone and can move one square by default. Tokens are placed on characters to indicate damage. All character types may have special abilities which can break the norms.

Knights: Have attack and health. Can target characters in the same square.

Archers: Have attack value. Can target characters one space over, enemy knights only take damage if engaged in combat with knights. Cannot move and attack same turn. Archers die from any damage.

Workers: Have an attack and health value. Attack value will be used against buildings not characters, minimum increment attack value used against other characters. A worker must be present in order for a building card to be played. Workers can attack enemy buildings during battle and can ladder over if no knights or archers are present in the same square.

Other: Anything else, like items and event cards.

Example cards:

Knight Henry 1 Stone

1 Attack 3 Defense

Building Spikes 3 Stone

Any enemies that pass this square take 1 damage. Can stack with other buildings.

Overlord likes this.
  3. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Magnificent!

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Okay, so I think the general idea is very very good, when are we going to get cards going with artwork.

Also, what is the HP of those cards, like what is the HP of that knight bro? Is it 3 knights 2 archers 3 builders?

Also will you be having special types for example 'Strathos the Builder' who can both attack and mine 2 resources in a single turn and has like 1/0 for dmg done/taken.

Also, can you progress in the enemy's field?

Also, what do catapults do?

Also, archers can't shoot from the back? what if you implement dice and have to roll a d6 (3+ wins) to shoot successfully from back side to back side.

Also, can you actually 'build'?
    Also, what about larger battles? What made you choose the exact size?
    Also, what about structures?
    Also, what about zombies?
    Also, what about bison?
    Also, did you think about putting your stone in the catapult and shooting?
    Also, what about loading a guy in the catapult and shooting him to the other side to then attack from the back and lulz
    Also, if you can totes move to the enemy's side, can you fill it up with your dudes and get a technical victory by them not being able to spawn and you kicking ass? XD
    Also, do items take up slots when placed down?
    Also, is there a limit to resources out on one time?
    Also, is max resources on hand 250?
    Also, where did you learn to draw so good?

sj67 likes this.
  5. 1. HP don't exist. You can kill enemy cards only with bombs, kegs and catapults.
    2.Very possible.
    3. Yes, I can.
    4. They have outstanding unit ratio and are able to kill cards.
    5. They can shoot from any position. If you place your archer in the last line he can shoot only the first enemy line. if you place him in your first line he can shoot every enemy line. It isn't limited.
    6. Possible, Contrary gave some good building ideas.
    7.What about them? Size is based on usual CCG games (you can still play much more cards than in opther CCGs)/
    8. Look at 6.
    9. They are dead.
    10. They are furry.
    11. Nice.
    12. Very nice.
    13. Yes, you can. It's described in general rules: if he cannot place any card on his side you win.
    14. Possibly buildings, items are placed on player cards.
    15. Nope.
    16. It's limited only by cards where maximum amount per card is 250.
    17. In Paris. Duh, Americans.
    </br>--- merged: Apr 29, 2012 4:05 PM ---</br>
    YO, MORE RULES:

Counterattacks:
    -You probably noticed that there is no point in range and targeting enemy units since they don't take damage. Well they don't take, but they do give!
    -Every time you attack with your cards you have to target some card in your range, this card counterattacks you.
    -Cards can only counterattack cards which are in their range - so if a hidden archer attacks a builder, the builder cannot counterattack.
    -Only knights and builders can counterattack
    -Counterattack does half of its unit attack. So a knight with units 4/1 does 2 unit damage.
    -Odd numbers are rounded down. So a knight with units 3/1 does 1 unit damage.
    -1 is rounded down to 0. So a knight with units 1/1 does 0 unit damage.

Upcoming: buildings and items.

sj67 and BlueLuigi like this.
  6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Any future plans to implement all those new classes down the road?

7. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

I think cards should have hp

8. Where are my cards? :>:(:

9. FAITH

FAITH Shark Slayer

are you suggesting that ppl will buy these cards?

10. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I highly doubt it. There's only one thing that is worth buying from Ej, but that's a pretty select market...

11. FAITH

FAITH Shark Slayer

lets be seroius here hardly no one knows about kag and now ur gonna make a card game and hope ppl will buy these cards...no chance

12. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

No, these cards aren't going to be bought. That would be stupid beyond even that which the average KAG player is capable of.

This card game was made because we could. Did you seriously think that anyone would make an attempt to sell these cards to the general public?

Bene likes this.
  13. Gamerbro

Gamerbro Drill Rusher

awesome

Mods: BlueLuigi