1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy and Light Knights: Tieing abilities to weapons, not classes

Discussion in 'Balance' started by stees, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What change would you like to see:

1. Divide knight into two classes: heavy & light

25.0%
  2. Make character abilities based on the weapons you purchase, not class

15.0%
  3. Keep knight as is

60.0%
  1. stees

stees Builder Stabber

Why is the knight constantly being nerfed, then unnerfed? When the game balance is switched back and forth to balance one character class, it often means that class needs to be divided into two classes, because it is trying to be too many things at once.

The knight has been a problem in KAG because it has had high agility, high defense, and high attack damage. Many games balance abilities like defense & agility. More defense, less agility. More agility, less defense. The last update made the knight less agile (no infin wall climb or shield glide, lower wall jump) to try to balance it, and I can see why people want to keep that parkour agility. It's a really fun part of KAG.

So here's a new idea. Tie character abilities to weapons and armour, not to classes.

How would it work? All knights would start as light knights and could purchase weapons & armour to become heavy knights. Abilities could then be tied to weapons & armour, and could be mixed to create the power, defense, and agility ratio that fits a players game style.

Players would have the option of the more agile parkour knight with less armour, or a heavier strong knight with more armour and less agility. Light knights could wall jump, climb, and glide further, while heavy knights would have more health, be slower, but do more damage.

The choice would then remain in the players hands, and the knight would not swing back and forth in abilities so much. Devs could fine tune weapons and armour, while still allowing players the power to set up thier own character abilities.

I think the balance issues with the knight result from the devs trying to balance it while keeping those abilities that players have come to enjoy, and this solution allows players to keep their favorite abilities as long as they are balanced against the other options.

2. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

The FUN CTF has a system like this -- [It also offers two types of archers and wizards] although I dont think that this will become a thing for normal un-modded CTF. Knights are fine as they are + The new update.

3. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Should probably just leave knight as it is now, maybe a little more OP health-wise, but also add in a rogue which is similar to how knight was, but no shield, higher damage and even more climby :).

4. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I admit it, I skimmed through (the first couple of sentences) but I just gotta say something.

The three classes are the fundamental elements of KAG. Everything is truly balanced as is (and I play all classes, so I know disadvantages and advantages) and they don't need to be added to or taken away.

5. NastyCamper

NastyCamper Builder Stabber

I think knight is finally in the place it should be. Everything seems far more balanced now and I don't feel any single class can dominate the game as some once did. Take some time to get used to the changes. I understand, going from god mode to mere mortal mode is a bit of a shock to the system, but just like in Superman 2, you get over it.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  6. I mean this isn't terrible but if you do something like this you have to do something for every other class

But tbh I like how it is

7. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

I've always liked the vanilla KAG because of it's deceptive simplicity. Three classes, one of which places 8 'things' (not counting workshops), and each class using 7 buttons (including mouse).

Although I do think it'd be interesting to pick and choose different armor (like chestplates and greaves, battle axes or greatswords), I think it'd be better in a mod than vanilla.

Horse_That_Goes_Ni and Boea like this.