1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[CTF] Moats [250 x 75] [water]

Discussion in 'Maps' started by GreenRock, Jun 24, 2012.

1. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

This is exactly how water should be handled. It's fun to bridge over and see knights drown in it. It's supposed to look like the front lines of a castle. There's a medium sized island in the middle with plenty of room to build/fight. Rayne said 33% of a map is cut off during setup in CTF. I did some calculations for this map, so during the setup period for CTF, the middle island is the only thing being blocked. This allows your team's moat to be constructed during setup, with ample room to construct half of the bridge. After the half is built (about six bridge tiles because of the building limit) and the match begins, the island is only a jump away. If you're smart, you can pass the building limit with a bit of reinforcement under the bridge. Water level is 17, if your going to use it on your server. Also keep in mind messing with the size will detract from the map because of the setup distances. Please tell me if this is to be used on your server, and if you need sizes changed so I can make adjustments. I would love to play with others on it :)

http://kagstuff.com/map/moats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

a moat needs to be right up against the castle to be of any use and filled with spikes as you can't have a spikeless moat can you?

3. Sure you can, but there has to be lava and sharks with lasers.
    I think the moat being farther away is better so you actually have room to build before the game.

Otherwise the map looks good! The castles look annoying trying to convert into a base, maybe hollow the out towards the top though.

4. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I thought moats were composed of water and alligators. Moat != spike pit -__- And if you want spikes on the bottom of a body of water.... I just... No. I completely agree with the placement of the moat, though. After fiddling with the setup distances I found it difficult to create a "right" distance between the castle and the moat because I wanted teams to be able to build defenses during setup, like Jerloch mentioned. It looks a bit funny but it works :D

Right you are, sir (about the moat being farther away in order to have building room). I don't understand what you mean by "hollowed out towards the top", however. Explain yourself.

5. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

6. Hollow out the top of the towers, so they are easier to convert into decent defenses. Clear out the inside.
    moats1.png

Although looking at the map idk if it will matter. You could always put the spawns inside the towers :p

7. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

~poop~
    No, seriously. The links says moats used to be filled with raw sewage :huh?:

This would make the flag to hard to capture. The moat should be enough. Falling to get out of your base would also get annoying really fast.

Thank you for the feedback though guys, I think I'll release a v2 because you gave me some ideas :)