1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

BC FlatMap CTF

Discussion in 'Server Directory' started by BC, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: jackitch
  1. BC

BC Bison Rider

BC FlatMap CTF

Old BC FlatMap CTF Server is Offline.
    Current BC FlatMap CTF Server hosted by Kaizokuroof.

Please don't ask for Admin, VIP or a Reserved slot.

20 Max Players
    Server Location - Western USA
    Lots of Trees/Stone, Gold is in the Middle.

Be nice to others and give them encouragement! Not insults!

Admins: ImAwesome; frankomaster; BeasterDenBeast; Verrazano; Frink; Vidar; Bookmark; Killatron46; Strathos; nitz223; Mellian-Quar-Xililix; Brilly; SinZero; Tiruin; nerdpride; ethanfgm; vampo;
    VIP: Tankman652; Dead_Exposure; Haste; Ossium; debu; Kazaco97; SentinelTank; LordReudh; Luis_03; Bioautomaton; xiaojin67; defnof; Zuke; tooche; -L6-; archerthing;

Server Player Stats:
    http://kag.distantempires.com/

Maps:
    • Flat City
      flatcity.png
    • The Forest
      theforest.png
    • Gold Island
      goldisland.png
    • Happy Pits
      happypits.png
    • Tunnel Fun
      tunnelfun.png
    • Sky Islands (-TJ-)
      skyislands.png
    • Gold Cave (Strathos)
      goldcave.png
    • The Pyramid (Pesinario)
      thepyramid.png

Kalikst, Gurin, Tropicana and 19 others like this.
  2. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Can we send maps to you?
    (Of course,flats)

3. BC

BC Bison Rider

Sure Lucas, anyone can send me maps via private message. If I like the map, I'll add it to the rotation. (Not adding maps atm)

Map Submission Guidelines/Information (Sorry, I'm a bit picky :p):
    • If you put your name on the map, put it underground and out of the way.
    • I may edit the map before using it.
    • It might help if you base your map off of this map:
      flatcity.png
    • Needs plenty of trees/stone. Gold must be in middle.
    • Map width should be between 200 and 250.
    • Come up with a simple accurate name for your map.

4. miketh2005

miketh2005 Arsonist

How long does a voteban last on your server? I was wrong votebanned. =(

5. BC

BC Bison Rider

Probably no more then 30 minutes, sorry about that :(

6. Cool maps BC! Very Very flat :)

7. Dead_Exposure

Dead_Exposure Drill Rusher

Amazing server BC. 25252525

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This has beaten out Frinks for the coveted spot of being

*~*~Contrary's favourite server~*~*

Congratulations!

Or it would be if Strathos' map wasn't such cancer. The forest idea is good but seriously needs to be smaller, and/or have gaps in it. Or the forest can just be made a bit shorter but gold needs to be more available.

It usually ends up as two towers facing off across the forest with no one able to break it since the trees block attempts to ladder and the gold can't be reached since the only way through it is straight down in the middle of the whole conflict. Even when this isn't in effect and it's maybe just the early game it's still frustrating since the forest is just a free pass for a bunch of archers to stall the game way down.

Sky Islands and The City are excellent and The Forest is okay. Gold Island is playable.

CoughDrop likes this.
  9. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

@ Contrary
    Let's take a closer look:
    gcavecenter.png
    The cluster of trees acts as a no-building zone. Archers hopping around are a side effect, but I wouldn't say they stall the game down: they have no cover and are vulnerable to your archers behind your tower and your bombs.
    You don't need to be dig "straight down in the middle" to get the gold.
    Trees act as support (surprise!). You can use them to bridge and stuff.
    The gold can be reached under 60 seconds with two builders digging straight down (haven't tested diagonally), so it isn't quite unavailable.

In my opinion, early catapults and laddering builders are what ruin this game. This map is a response to that. Here you need to play defensively and hold the ground to get the gold while denying it to the other team. No nonsense straight forward rushing, laddering and flag stealing.
    The map is quite new and still needs tweaking for balance, specially at the center zone. I'm working on it.

This is also my favorite server : ) (but gold island sux!)

ParaLogia likes this.
  10. Contrary

Ok I think what is happening here is that I like maps to be oriented on allowing knights more agency independent of their team whilst you like giving builders more agency free of their team.

It's interesting that you believe that laddering builders ruin the game, when I consider it almost a non issue, something that needs major help. The way I see it is that if your team's knights are at least as skilled as the opponent's, the enemies will never be able to come up close enough to ladder up your wall, since they'll be dead before they reach it. Even if they do their knights will mostly have died by the time they reach there and the defending team can take spawn initiative to quickly finish them off and even a knight can scrape ladders off a tower in a number of seconds, even less of the defending tower has a tree in front of it to block ladders. So without stuff like ladder spam, most of combat would be entirely meaningless in the grand scheme of the game as actually beating your enemies and reaching the enemy tower would not yield any results. If I'm understand you correctly you would rather be able to stall the entire game by yourself with your tower.

The bridging over trees point is valid and is something I have seen in game, however again its important to note that this is an issue of builder power, if you don't have strong builder presence constantly you won't be able to gain tower dominance and everyone who isn't a builder is rendered mostly helpless in changing the pace of the game.

I've noticed for some time now that you have an enduring distaste for catapults, and I believe this is because this (and bombs) allows non builders some measure of control over the pace of the game, and allows them to engage fortifications and make a meaningful impact on structures without the reliance on builders such as yourself.

Now I don't mean to say that its bad that you want to be able to control the entire game yourself, I have a parallel position with the knight wherein I use to favour catapults so that I could make a meaningful push against the enemy team without having to rely on the often dubious talents of friendly builders and now I prefer playing a lot with bomb jumps which in a less significant way allows players to circumvent short walls harass backfield archers and builders.

However I think that the key distinction is that builders are already the most powerful class by far. You yourself Strathos are the most obvious and most cited example. No individual archer or knight can halt and also kill entire teams on a consistent basis. Builders can and do every day. More than that is the fact that knights are champions of dynamic aggressive gameplay whereas builders are for the most part, defensive. Knight's tools, bombs and swords, are agents of ephemeral destruction and forward movement whereas buildings, the work of builders, is necessarily a stationary and passive construction. Everyone knows this game is stallish enough already. Even the most aggressive minded maps are susceptible to games that drag on for ages as two teams sit inside their giant towers and stare at each other sternly.

in short: your map still sucks

Ej and ParaLogia like this.
  11. Strathos

I'd love to make this thread about me and what I think, but no. Back to the map:

I said early catapults, meaning those within a couple of minutes after warmup. The gold is down there so both teams have a chance to build a decent defense before they go under siege. Flimsy towers don't do well against siege and this server has a 1 minute or something warmup time, so you can't really do much before the match starts.

This is like any other flat map except you can't easily build at ground level or ladder (read: place ladders/bridges) against buildings at the center. To partly compensate for this, you can "skybridge" on that zone thanks to the trees, and when you reach the enemy wall to the other side you will be able to ladder. I don't think you need constant strong builder presence to pull that one off.

Now I get that most of the time laddering is the way to overcome a tower, but this map plays a little different. Getting the gold and building catapults/OP is important. Combat is still necessary, as you need to keep the zone clear (just as if you were trying to rush over a tower) so your team gets the gold. Anyway, you can also bombjump, go under (with some bombs) or through the towers.

12. Contrary

The point is that you will never get the gold when you actually need it. It's a catch-22 kind of thing.

The gold is necessary in order to smash the enemy tower and take center dominance.
    You need to have center dominance in order to get gold.

Even if you manage to clear the center for a second you still have to contend with archers in the tower and the state of the center when you try to resurface.

Going under is not really practical as in the early game the enemy tower will be thinner but your team won't have as many bombs. Late game your teammates are more likely to have bombs but it'll be harder to get through. In any case it's not really a practical option since you need to clear out the enemy knights and have like five or so bombs left to spare between your team, meaning multiple knights have to reserve their bombs and all coordinate trying to take down the same tower. If you want to take down the tower you absolutely must do it all or once or else a builder can spend like ten seconds to quickly hop down and repair and your efforts are for naught.

With a fewer number of bombs its possible to tunnel under and dig through the dirt, but we all know that's not a great option either; you put a big clump of your team in a bad position and at best you pop out the other end into the waiting arms of enemy knights as even if you killed a bunch on the way there they'll have ample time to respawn while you're digging.

Bombjumping is never a practical option lol. Especially when you're trying to jump from tall tower to tall tower, which you will need to since a ground level jump will usually not take you over the enemy tower once the match has been going for a few minutes. Bombjumping burns a bomb and usually makes you take damage on landing. In every case you take a lot of stun and if an enemy knight is nearby they can proc a double slash and kill you before you can do anything. Even if you manage to get across safely whoopdeedoo, you're surrounded by enemies in their territory, one man alone vs them all.

This is a worker-centric map in a heavily worker-centric game. I don't see the point.

Yeah do it. We would all love to hear it.

Ej likes this.
  13. Strathos

Fair points. Time and some tweaking will tell.
    I sincerely think the concept has potential because it requires teamwork from the three classes and makes the map center 'valuable' and 'dynamic' in a different way.

14. just like your chest :P

15. Panasonic

Panasonic Builder Stabber
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Bc how do I apply for admin I really like ur server and have a lot of experience where would I do so

BC likes this.
  16. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

"Please don't ask for admin or vip."

"Bc how do I apply for admin I really like ur server and have a lot of experience where would I do so"
    -> BC likes this

Hilarous.
    I'm making maps for you. I'll send it later.

17. BC

BC Bison Rider

Sorry, I appreciate the offer but I'm not accepting maps at the moment.

18. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Hmm why? But NP I can wait as long you want.

19. Hey BC
    although this is my Favourite server it's one of the best people forget about flat maps because now we have the
    "Islands" But this really brings back KAG from the bast I really like your server bud. This beats Dr Frinks and Action It climbs to 2nd Place
    Cheers.
    Fried_Knights

BC likes this.
  20. Beepo

Beepo Asian Faggot Donator
    1. Delta Force - Delta

Yay! Finally...I finally remember... to check on your server after 5 months of telling myself everyday that "I gotta go check BeeCee's server and give it a like"...yes! Liked!!!!!! Gah!!!! =D

CrystalClear likes this.
Mods: jackitch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.