1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[(548) WIP] Sigsson's Testament of Building

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Sigsson, Oct 27, 2012.

1. --It's the last classic build. Changes will be out soon. But knowledge is always good.--
    Threw off your shirt and felt good? Serious itching to be Thor himself? Do you like spouting profanities out of your mouth-hole while watching people impale themselves on massive spikes? Whatever the reason, don't bend your team over a table while doing it (hehe....doing it).
    As a foreword: Don't waste your time spending all your time or materials by the tent. Unless it's building time or you're collecting before you lay the other team a firm talking-to with your hammer, you're not a duck. You're not made of wood. Don't act like it.
    Also, because I'm dense in my writings, remember that if your team needs you as a knight (or archer, if you favor being bombed) then you do it. No questions.

Building time!(Is not Minecraft)
    Read that again. Again. Get it now? You're not building cupcakes, sweet-cheeks. And you're not starting the sugar skull factory. Know what factories are, anyhow? Crammed together. That's exactly what you don't want your buildings to be. Stay away from other people's structures when building your own.
    In other old news, read just about any other rule book and see what they have to say about spike traps. Yes, that's right. Don't do it.

Charge!

Building time is over, you're fortified and ready. Now what? In honor of my software apps teacher:
    "You...You don't know."
    ^If you can't answer that question while building, then don't build it. Of course, you're supposed to strike inspiration and make new towers in KAG, but don't do it when your team depends on you. You'll just look fruity. Also realize that this is the fastest part of the whole match (usually) and you'll almost always find another :hammer: running at you. Hope your team can stop the horde AND

Fortify!

Hey, you lived? You must be better at luck! It's key to set up defences, because all those people you killed will be coming back with a slightly worse disposition than before. Now, before your brain is turned into picante sauce by angry archers, you'll need to know how to protect yourself and make your team happy.
    Basic Towers
    Remember: efficiency is key. You can't expect to use over 500 stone on one tower that you'll leave to run up farther, anyway. So, you made this:
    Sig's Tower 1.png
    "THAT is a tower? Why did you teach us this flimsy cracker-jack of a cottonball?"
    It's true, it's quite small. But you can still use those doors to drop blocks and set spikes on them.
    O, but wait, there's still hope! Either you can rush up and take their tower or fortify this one. It could be a long haul; remember to build beds and bombs. But truly fortifying a tower should add up to:
    Sig's Fortified Tower.png
    Retaining the ability to drop blocks and placing spikes, it can be repaired where necessary. Fortified with knights, there should be no problem keeping this thing set for life.
    And nothing would be good without tips:
    • Attempt to make bomb pits when possible. In the time that a knight is cooking a bomb under the tower, drop a ton of doors on his head.
    • Remember that the reach of a builder's hammer is two blocks, same goes with placing. Fix towers from the inside.
    • Spikes kill instantly when knights are slamming against the wall while trying to break doors. Listen for a repeating 'thud' sound before placing spikes.
    That's all for now! Be seeing you more soon.

Attached Files:

Conquerer, FG, Mazey and 5 others like this.
  2. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hey, that floor at the right entrance directly under the stone fall trap in the second picture, won't that prevent the stone from falling all of the way unless the enemy was already right at your entrance? Because if they were, they probably have a builder with them, and that builder is just going to ladder off to the side making the trap useless.

I would say move the team floor at the entrance 1 block to the left. Also a bonus because it makes it easier for your knights to throw bombs down without getting them caught in that bomb trap, and any bombs that the enemy happened to throw up in that gap would actually fall down instead of getting stuck there and blowing away a few blocks.

3. Before Blowing off your question, I'd like to say thank you.

4. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

So, willful ignorance then? You probably shouldn't be posting designs here if you are just going to ignore criticism without reason.

Ej, jerloch, Rambo and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bit o' less designs, more of tips I suppose. Change it ASAP. :)

6. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Again, I present my list of random thoughts as I look through a Builder thread: :hammer:

1) I like your writing style. Real snazzy. :heart:

2) To be honest, I don't think this guide (is it a guide?) actually provides much useful information. It only tells you what to do vaguely.

3) I guess that quick tower is acceptable... :castle:
    4) But that fortified tower doesn't seem that great, because:
    4a) What Brandon816 said. :bridge:
    4b) The blocks at the back seem superfluous. Also, maybe too many doors? :door:
    4c) You need to explain the mechanics of the design more!!! :spikes:

5) Going back a little, maybe you should write a little more about the rushing part? :gear:
    5.5) I just realized that it's really fun to add random (well, somewhat related) emotes at the end of each point. :note:
    6) It's nice that you added those tips at the end. Maybe have more of those? :yes:

In summation, I give this thread a C+/ B- :red:
    (Don't think that's a bad score--it's definitely much better than most other threads I reply to.) :flex:

thebonesauce likes this.
  7. Mmmhm :D Fixing/adding shit is next.

8. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

thats way too high...
    its not that good.
    for example:
    the repairing thing, with the doors, in the front wall,
    could be much better. its very inefficient.
    the doors at the top right side,
    are not nesecary, because thats where you are going to drop blocks.
    not a good place for archerspots, right?
    almost every part of this tower is taken from other threads,
    but has been DEproved, instead of IMproved.

9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I think the rating is because this isn't simply a thread to advertise his new tower design, it is rather supposed to provide tips for playing builder, with some building designs to show them in action. You can't downgrade a thread on the sole reason that his example building isn't absolutely perfect, particularly since it is just an example.

Ej likes this.
  10. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

While I think the tower design is beautiful (as para said, the blocks in the back are a bit more cosmetic than anything), but the tips need a little more meat to them. As it stands, these are all things that have been mentioned before and much better, in some cases.

Though I read it just because I love your style, CRACKER-JACK.