1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[428]Wood and Stone

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by killatron46, Jun 25, 2012.

1. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

As the title suggests, I will be talking about the advantages of using wood blocks in conjuncture with stone blocks. I invite anyone to correct me on misinformation and to add their own speculations.

Some information distinguishing Stone and Wood blocks:

Stone which is harvested from the ground in 2 or 4 increments. Depending on the map stone can be more or less rare. Only two tiles require only stone, stone backwall and stone blocks.

Wood which is harvested from trees in increments of 6 and is much more versatile than stone because you can build ladders, trap bridges, team doors, workshops, wood background and wood blocks. (Workshops sometimes require stone as well).

Stone blocks take 7 hits from a builder to destroy, and it is slowed. Wood takes only 5 hits at regular speed, so wood blocks can be destroyed at approximately 2.3x the speed stone blocks can be destroyed by a builder. Knights can also destroy wood blocks at a slowed speed (fully charged slash).
    More information on this subject can be derived from Drok's thread, Miscellaneous Research.[​IMG]
    Pulled from Drok's thread.
    Adding on Wood background and wood blocks shouldn't be too hard. It looks like Wood tiles would be like so:

Woodbackground = 2 hits, taking a builder .80 seconds to destroy, a knight 2.866 seconds to destroy.
    Wood blocks = 5 hits, taking a builder 2.33 seconds to destroy and a knight 7.166 seconds to destroy.
    Archers cannot harm either of the blocks.
    I have concluded that wood blocks and stone blocks take damage the same way, bombs destroy the adjacent blocks and leave blocks within the radius of the explosion are damaged by 1. (Though they take damage in the same way, stone has more "hit points" than wood blocks).
    [​IMG]
    Tested two bombs, with bridges between to absorb the damage to the other side, tiles in the same pattern are damaged accordingly.
    I was unable to test with a catapult, but I am guessing wood blocks will usually die after 1 hit by a rock (cata's fire 3 rocks), because I've seen some stone blocks get damaged, meaning a catapult will not always destroy them in 1 hit but leave them heavily damaged.

Now that we have established some differences, let me show some examples of uses against the enemy!
    Let me demonstrate a trap use:
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]
    As you can see, a knight trying to attack the wood blocks would surely die. This is just one example of its use as "bait".
    Because you get 6 wood per hit on trees and only 2-4 stone per hit on stone, this means wood is "cheaper". Even if it was the same price, which it isn't! This means wood is 4 to 6 times as cheap as stone when building. Thus comes the conclusion that we should maximize this resource:
    [​IMG]
    I strategically placed the wood and stone blocks in places where they are needed most. All areas knights can reach are protected with stone or traps. This is a way of thinking not something followed exactly. I have done some experimenting but not much because most servers that have wood also have water (which I dislike for balance reasons in this build).

This is my take of Wood blocks and how they can be used with Stone blocks to create better and more efficient buildings.

Attached Files:

2. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

Not sure if this is particularly relevant, but perhaps you could include the viability of wood based drops traps. You can crush enemies with team doors, team bridges and wooden blocks. Adding wood based termite walls/ceilings means that you will be able to move through them if they consist of either team doors or team bridges. Basic wooden block drops are also much much more economic than stone drops and create no rubble or damage to structures otherwise, allowing for a return of the bombshoot on the front of buildings if one is that way inclined.

Also: Wood is a renewable resource. c:

FuzzyBlueBaron and killatron46 like this.
  3. MacD

MacD Shark Slayer

Converting wooden structures to stone structures only costs 5 stone per block. If you lay down a wooden base, you can make a stone structure with half of the stone you'd usually use.