1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[415] Bridging Techniques

Discussion in 'Builder' started by bilbs, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

With the addition of water, new strategies for building a bridge quickly and safely are going to be needed. So let's see some pictures and instruction on what you've been working with so far.

[​IMG]

So, you can go 6 blocks horizontally in either direction from a support beam.
    Therefor the most efficient use of supports is to have them 6 apart, like this:

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_bg::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg:

A few things I've found are imporant so far.

1. Extend your platforms as far as possible past a support beam before stopping construction. This makes it more difficult to place ladders and climb in the door.

This:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::door:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_bg::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank:

And not this (or anything shorter than exactly 6):
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::door:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

2. Once a few supports worth of bridge has been made, cap off the front of it with a stone wall extending all the way down into the water. This stops knights from skipping bombs into your supports and collapsing the whole thing.

EDIT: Woops, hit post before I was finished. Edits coming.

2. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

If it will not be mentioned in full post : for king's sake people, dont make a single,solid,long bridge out of trapdoors - a single activation by an enemy and your whole team is in water and the bridge won't return into it's position for a long time. Separate it with 1 block gaps.

Gofio, PumpkingSlice and Matty_ like this.
  3. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

A simple airlock for getting your team out of the water

:castle_wall::castle_wall::door::door::castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge:
    :dirt::dirt::ladder_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :dirt::castle_wall::door::door::castle_wall:~~~~~water~~~~~~
    :dirt::dirt::ladder_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall:
    :dirt::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :dirt::dirt::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :dirt::dirt::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

4. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

If you make this;

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (Continued)

You can keep going up and to the left and right slowly. It's best just to make a really tall tower and jump off it into the water.

Arcite likes this.
  5. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Well, I found the "outline" for support:
    [​IMG]

Going to see if placing stones anywhere can "increase" support distances. Looks like backwall can be placed 6 tiles out from the center, and 4 up and 1 over on the edge.

EDIT: Well I looked but I didn't find anything specific, however I did find this . . .
    [​IMG]
    Not all blocks follow the same support pattern. Bullion and Doors act like that, being able to span 11 tiles out from the middle, and 2 up 1 over once you hit the end of it.

Attached Files:

Arcite, MacD, Matty_ and 1 other person like this.
  6. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

That's what I meant, just too lazy to demonstrate it. +1 Killatron, -1 Rayne.

7. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

I'm at work so I can't check.
    Could someone figure out how many blocks you can build horizontally past a support?

Like this:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg:1--2--3--4--5--6?
    :castle_bg:

How large of an overhang can there be before another support is needed?
    I'll add this info to the first post

8. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

6 tiles for stone/backwall/bridges. (couldn't test wood yet)

11 tiles for bullion and doors. (other tiles too perhaps but I didn't check).

It can be extended further but you have to follow the "outline" as I showed in my pictures. If you're just building a flat horizontal ledge though 6 and 11 are the caps I believe. (Without using editor or dirt background glitches).

9. BC

BC Bison Rider

Skybridges are supported by trees! This can be extremely useful on a flat map with lots of trees.

nosupport.jpg treesupports.jpg

10. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Worth to note:
    On water maps, dont even bother with bridges if the enemy has a cata.

Gofio and MCrypa like this.
  11. CoD

CoD Haxor

:o Nice discovery!

kl4060 likes this.