1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[349] Turtle Bridge/Tunnel

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Wyeth, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

This one can either be used on the ground to create a Turtle Tunnel or as a bridge (in the air) to be used as a Turtle Bridge. Its the exact same way to build them in both cases, although the bridge version is better than the tunnel version for several reasons.

:blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall:

This is the raw setup. It is important to note that people can easily vault on top of it, so the foremost piece needs to have some sort of nose to keep enemies from simply jumping on top of it. For example something like this:

:blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::bridge:*:castle_wall::bridge:*
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::spikes_bg::blank: :bridge:*
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    * Broken Teambridges, need to be hit once so they become neutral Teambridges.

This "nose" would make it impossible to climb the structure aswell (pro archers). and would probably kill knights who try to squeeze through the hole.
    Basically you "chain" any amount of these turtle tunnels in sucession like this:

:blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::bridge:*:castle_wall::bridge:*
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::spikes_bg::blank: :bridge:*
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall:

See? Totally looks like a turtle! The good thing about this is that teammates can easily walk through but enemies will have a hard time to do so.
    Now imagine the exact same thing in the air and maybe with a few more walls added in the gaps.

Its also a pretty neat stable way to build bridges (as its pretty darn hard to bring it down (not a lot area for bombs to be thrown at) and archers can shoot down through the gaps, etc.

Well let me know what you think and have fun seeing your uncautious enemies torn to bits!

DISCLAIMER: This trap can be evaded, I mean it is possible for knights to get over this trap unhurt or only slightly hurt. They just gotta know what they are doing. Do not see this as a last defense (you got walls for that) and more as the kind of forward building that will at least slow down enemies and will destroy them if they make mistakes. Obviously less skilled knights (at least at jumping) will still find this impassable.

SARGRA13, Maverick, Acavado and 8 others like this.
  2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Personally I'm more impressed with the nose since you can still manage to get out of there without taking damage if you are careful.. I almost kind of hate you for it because it completely prevents archers from arrow climbing up of it. I mean I tried every angle possible and that damned team bridge eats every single arrow. I tried different angles and different strengths. I can get an arrow to appear for half second, but I have to be standing away from it so I couldn't even use it for arrow climbing.

:castle_bg::bridge:*:castle_wall::bridge:*
    :castle_bg::spikes_bg: :a_shop: :bridge:*
    :castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall:
    If I could just get an arrow somewhat horizontally on that single block, it'd still be possible to ceiling climb, but nope. That team bridge eats it every single time. I guess the weakness for it is that bomb jumping knights can try to land on those trap bridges though.

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Bigger weakness is just dropping the front area if not reinforced from top and then climbing over.

4. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Awesome, Wyeth, I'm glad to have you back, hopefully for good! :D

Also, he is showing the concept here, you can add more back wall if you think it is unstable. Though the actual "nose" is pretty low to the ground, low enough to bomb. If that is what you're talking about.

5. Wyeth

I dunno what Luigi is talking about exactly... dropping it from the back I think? But if you are on top of it and have allready "boarded" it... ... sure then you can do whatever to it... breaking it, collapsing it... I am not quite sure how a knight or an archer would break it, except with a bomb. But see bombs... break everything if you are skillful enough, you can obviously strengthen the nose by applying some stone bricks to the back of it (so that say a bomb jumping knight can't easily break it after boarding it)... if you want a structure that is a good defense against bombs... there are others just for that. This one is NOT very bomb-secure at all... I am not only talking about destroying it but also about disabeling it... one bomb in the lower tunnel and its gone... at least one segment, since spikes are pretty weak towards bombs. Like I said the moment when this thing really shines is when its in the air as a bridge.

6. BlueLuigi

I meant the lip you have there, dropping it is easy by dropping this tile:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah spike pits are now extremely weak to bombs (too weak IMO spikes need states or something already).

I've also found a new little fun thing with spikes and jumping, if you edge perfectly by letting go at the right time you can get over any spiked stone no matter what, so basically edging is back but now perfectly consistent.

7. Just dropping here thing I had come up with some time ago:
    [​IMG]

It's like your tunnel trap but more expensive and ten thousand times more deadly.
    Oh, the top line of bridges is there because this photo was taken back in 'glitched ceiling spikes' build.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I've been playing with something similar to you Ej:

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :dirt_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::dirt_bg:
    :dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg::dirt_bg:
    :castle_wall::bridge::bridge::castle_wall:
    :dirt::castle_wall::castle_wall::dirt:

Does the same thing but is a bit easier to fool people with I think.

Chinizz and BlueLuigi like this.
  9. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

this trap affects friendlies seemingly randomly. they swear they aren't holding UP as they move through the tunnel

10. Wyeth

@Jackard, It can't be, I tested it throughly. I walked through it over a hundred times, just back forth (both sides) and it never affected me. Neither was any other person I tried it with got affected without jumping. I will try it again and edit the threads with the results.

I ran through it 100 times from both sides, both as a knight and builder, in various angles and ways (shield gliding into it shielding while walking through it, etc.
    I wasn't hit once, I conclude that your teammates were most likely ashamed to have jumped while walking below spikes or it was a weird glitchy occurance somehow. Not sure how that would work. Maybe lag induced?

Avavado spikes (I think thats what you got there on the ceiling?) sadly are not safe anymore, they affect teammates, albeit they don't kill them just hurt them once, I don't really think its worth the extra wood paid for in this build :/ (since the big advantage of acavado spikes was that they are perfectly safe for teammates and deadly to enemies).

The spikes on the bottom left and right aren't really needed anymore... ceiling spikes are extremely aggressive (enough to overkill normally), except with doors on one side it makes sense, since they can just do small jumps with slashes.

11. FG

FG Fran Donator

make ladders to the top of the building incase people are blocking it and you cant get past.

12. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Have you tested it in combination with other structures? Could there be something throwing them off?

I walked through this unharmed over a dozen times, but there was one time I mysteriously died to it.

Edit: Pretty sure I was also using bottom spikes.

13. Wyeth

No idea - I tested it quite a bit now again... for an hour or so... with contrary... none of us got hurt while passing through a safe one. Not once.

Contrary likes this.
  14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

ok i am playing with dumbs

Wyeth likes this.
  15. BlueLuigi

Yea, you're playing with dumbs, I've tested with this muffin and we made very complex structures and there is a single way I've found that can cause massive damage but only if they're vaulting like idorts.

If you set it up taller and they vault into the side spike they can get hurt, but only if there is an extra spike there on the side jutting out (it does increase damage a lot, this single spike, but at the same time, yeah, meh.

P.S. I can get through this trap using edging about 90% of the time flawlessly, muffin can do it pretty well too, pretty sure Clazy or Neat can do it 100% of the time, since edging is back and if done right can also be used to avoid top spikes unless you make these pits 4 wide it's fucking easy as hell to avoid spike pits.

(I only that 90% is after realizing it the first time and playing around for about 10 minutes with it, if I practiced more it'd be 100%, don't think muffin did as much playing around on jump maps before but I'm sure he could do it 100% with a little training and so could any of you too)

Wyeth likes this.
  16. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah while I was testing with Wyeth last night I learned how to jump through it as well. Not close to as consistently as you guys but I never played on any of your jump maps so I'm not as experienced.

But anyways I think you can pretty much count on this to get the job done.

I think you might be able to get hurt by this if you hit the corner of the ceiling the right way, but only the plebiest plebs could accomplish that.