1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[319] Linepiece

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Wyeth, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

:blank::castle_wall:
    :bridge::castle_wall::bridge:

Cost:
    5+ Castle Walls (50 Stone)
    2+ Trapbridges (20 Wood)

Function:
    Quick, cheap "stopper" or spamable hindrance. Can be easily improved upon.

Description:
    Extremely simplistic structure that can be build with low material cost and in about half a minute.
    Knights usually have a hard time getting over it without a builder or bombs and even bombs mostly don't destroy it outright because the Trapbridges add support and stability.
    Another reason why I prefer "stacks" of trapbridges like this, is that they will all open if an enemy gets close (since they are connected). This in turn has the effect that knights have a hard time destroying the bridges from below.
    This structure is also very easy to use as a base for other structures. As I prefer modular building most of my structures actually are made out of smaller parts that I can then plant in any other of my structures. This will probably become more aparent when looking at my other structures.

BC, Birdman159, ComboBreaker and 3 others like this.
  2. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Good simple design.
    Some issues are:
    It can easily be compromised by a knight, builder of bomb.
    Not bomb-jump proof.
    archers can spam arrows over it, as they only need lowest draw to shoot that far.

3. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

That is completely true, but try finding a better design with such low costs that has such a high blocking capability... If you only want to use minimal amount of materials (or can) and time... I really don't know what better building you could use and actually this building has saved my ass countless times ... incoming knights? NO PROB have some linepiece!
    Without improvements its nothing but a temporary hassle of course :)
    Oh its also highly spamable!

4. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Indeed. =D

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

My only thought for simply modifying it would be to replace the bottom trapdoor with a spike - thereby killing most knights of the stupid variety (which are, you have to admit, a fairly common breed) as they jump up and down in front of the linepiece trying futilely to get over it (seriously, this happens more often than you think!).

Point for debate: If the spike alteration were adopted, would it possibly be worth reducing the height of the linepiece by one (i.e. from 5 down to 4 blocks high) as a way of making it seem more "jumpable" and thereby encouraging derp-kights to jump all the more...?

SpaceWhale likes this.
  6. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

I use variations of this all the time.

Basically,it showed me,that you can effectively push as builder,secure territory without huge buildings.This made me the builder I am : aggressive one.
    Thanks for that.

7. benburger

benburger Builder Stabber

THE BURGERTOWER (bt) is...

3 stacked stone blocks with a door on top.

its cheap and effective, especially against knights who require the assistance of a builder or other knight if they want to break it without giving the other team time to regroup or refortify.

easily spammable seeing as how it costs 30 stone and wood.

not only that, but its simplicity allows it to be constructed in a matter of seconds without scaffolding - it can be easily be added to to make a full fledged forward base.

brotip: do not Do Not DO NOT build them close to each other (10-20 blocks apart to be safe, didn't test it yet) or knights will, after passing the first one, just glide past all the rest.

please respond and tell me what you think.

8. -Q

-Q Donator

I've seen it used. A nice addition, to momentarily vex the mind of any enemy builder, is to add a small outcropping of stone, as to prevent the effectiveness of any ladders placed.

benburger likes this.
  9. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

This wouldn't be the same thing as a Line Piece?

Yours is:

:door:
    :castle_wall:

Not sure if this is "new", or if it deserves its own thread for that matter.

Birdman159 and Acavado like this.
  10. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

After some deliberation I merged it with Wyeth's old linepiece thread where they can be discussed together, nigh interchangeable as they are.

These little speedbumps are very useful for holding ground and pushing forward.

Kouji likes this.
  11. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Improvement on the old one shown:

At the cost of ten extra stone and but 40 less wood, it's more effective at stopping knights without bombs.

UnnamedPlayer, BC and BlueLuigi like this.
  12. :blank::door:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

My favourite one, all though I rarely build it because PUBs simply cannot use it.

inactive_account likes this.
  13. benburger

benburger Builder Stabber

and btw i never even knew what a line piece was. I got the game maybe 4 days ago.

14. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Well, that's good, ben. Sounds like you took quickly to the basic concepts of stalling enemies as a builder. If you can continue to expand and apply that knowledge, as well a gain a sense of when and how to forage materials and help finish off low-health enemies, you'll be on your way to being one of us cheery builder-mains.

On topic- community! What is your selected course of action for the common situation of being a builder with a good amount of resources safely behind a linepiece that's being charged by multiple enemy knights? Or worse- a few knights and a single builder? Assuming you have no active support, and the time to get to the linepice and build quickly, that is. I find it best to increase the height by a few blocks (either stone, which blocks both teams completely, or doors, which are less sturdy but serve to distract knights better), put one stone in as an overhang if possible (to kill stupid people upon collapsing), and then retreat while laying down a few more stone to delay tunneling.

15. killatron46

The only problem with that Ej, is now that vaulting is back, someone you don't want to get over that will. (5-high slash assisted vault). This is why the design shown by Kouji is replacing door line piece. Another fun thing about that vaulty bridge is it can be placed out from the wall too, doesn't need to be against it to work.

16. You learn something everyday.

Damn bastards, I knew that something was wrong with this jumping :argh:.

17. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Lol, some people have trouble understanding this even if they are watching you run back and forth through it ad nauseam

thebonesauce and Kouji like this.
  18. AgeOfMe

AgeOfMe Shopkeep Stealer

This seems to be better as something you build, then add onto, as it simply doesn't offer defense against better (or spammy) players.

19. killatron46

One thing I really love about these, is they can turn into a tower so quickly, I usually do something similar to this:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank:>>:blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::ladder_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::ladder_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :blank::castle_wall::blank::blank::blank:>>:blank::bridge::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge::blank::blank:>>:blank::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge:

From there you can make a cheap sky bridge off the top:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::ladder_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    Or even add more back wall and thicken it up to a decently sized tower.

daki312, Ghozt, Kouji and 3 others like this.
  20. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

going on with this line piece I make a similar "Spam tower" which is
    :castle_wall: This tower can easily be added to and I found a good system for this structure was -->this<--
    you don't have to add all that wood in the link.