1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[319] Anatomy & Pathing, Take 2

Discussion in 'Builder' started by TerryDactyl, Mar 7, 2012.

1. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

The zombie release happened very shortly after I put a lot of work into an analysis of castle components. I feel the project may be destined, ultimately, for the wiki, as my intent was more precisely to describe how best to fit those components together. It doesn't matter how many leg bones you have if your joints don't work.

(original thread)
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/terrys-tutorial.4329/

315-00.png
    The design withstood multiple attacks over the span of several days.
    315-01.png Playing in zombie-mode taught me the importance of having quarters close to your main gates. An armoury (appearing here as an archer's range, due to a bug), has also proven essential. Having these workshops in place permitted me to dispatch breakaway blue scum _without leaving my post_. My teammates were free to advance, knowing I could hold the gate.

I spent most of the game building this castle, and only in a late stage did I advance and build similar fortifications at the map's mid-point mountain.

315-03.png I call it a turning point. The floors raised to different heights allowed for smooth pathing to the first and second floors of our castle, for a direct assault, or passage to the archer's post and additional workshops. Here, a block is missing due to damage sustained, but even before, players could squeeze through with little difficulty.
    You may have noticed an archer's nest along the front wall. Doors stacked over blocks with a row of bridges just up in behind. This was never used during our battle, probably due to the steep mountainside. In theory, we were able to resist keg-attacks with archers stationed in position.
    315-02.png A third floor was built, with workshops for the archers, and then roofed over. The height differential turned out to be perfect for a catapult to launch over. When the blue team blocked our ascent up the mountain, it was trivial for us to jump over their fortifications. The crude yellow penis emerging from our tent was meant to show inefficient pathing from the spawn point, though thankfully, in this case, the doors were still relatively accessible.
    We were under attack from a skybridge. A few of the third-floor workshops were lost and there was some block damage, but having the armoury and the quarters close at hand allowed me to dispatch most of the attackers on my own and make repairs quickly without disrupting the flow of troops to the battlefield. The bridge fell after a few attempts on our flag - but with due diligence, the castle proved to absorb damage from above very well.
    315-04.png
    Ordinarily, this would have been a clever move, but I caught them while placing a lantern in the pit. While a knight/builder team shafted down into their tunnel, I left out the front door and sealed myself into the tunnel entrance. They would not receive reinforcements. The tunnel was then lit with lanterns, and then lined with brick to prevent knights from digging in on their own. The green circle indicates a torch shoppe. It is _very important_ to place these near your mineshafts.
    A little further back, resource store had been built, which provided a way to make fast repairs in case of emergency. I try to avoid using these, however, and generally spent my hard-earned cash on bombs and kegs with which to arm my friends.
    Later on, due to a limit on the # of images I can use in my posts, I will add a breakdown of the many variations of these components, with discussion of their particular strengths and weaknesses. Thanks! :migrant:

Yess, PumpkingSlice, YEAH_NAH and 4 others like this.
  2. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

From a high enough tower, that can be bomb jumped.

3. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Granted, although the bomb-jumper would most likely be alone, leaving him against the defenders.
    Combined with the fact that he has no easy return route, and, should they fail to kill him the defenders merely re-spawn, he is essentially dead.:rollseyes:

4. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Unless "he" is extremely skilled, I know a lot a knights I wouldn't want over my wall . . . Even by themselves.

You've done it again Terry! Even though that structure will most likely discombobulate some most people, the concept behind it is amazing. Pathing is extremely important . . .

5. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Since the bomb-jumping nerf it seems to be to hard to do this to care.
    I'm so glad Xlayer is the leader of my clan :D
    I don't see very many choices to attack this other than a massive amount of the other team billowing through all at once.

6. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Ok, sorry, the only way he will get back over alive is if he is so ridiculously skilled he can hold off the defenders, surviving on the hearts they drop on occasion, all the while slowly breaking the team-doors, while they re-spawn.
    Or if he had 2 or 3 bombs he could jump back over...

7. godragon

godragon Catapult Fodder

Bomb jumpers can also destroy your shops, don't forget.

8. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Prefer it if we could see it without the missing shops and block and such...