1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[281] Corner spikes

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Acavado, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

So, something you can do with spikes:

floatingcornerspike.png

This floating spike will do damage to players who fall on it, despite not being attached to a solid block, because players who fall on it will still hit a solid block: the corner of a block next to it.

You can use this to make, for instance, cost efficient unsurvivable spike pits. They are also difficult to completely disable as builder.

corner spike gif.gif
    (kudos to Bracket for dying in the name of science. SCIENCE.)

There's a lot of gimmicks to this, like some directional bias to putting the spikes on the left, the elevator glitch allowing you to jump out or squeezing you in this space, spacing out the spikes, randomly getting hit even when there are teambridges changing the orientation of the spikes, placing spikes on the right as well or not, knight's gliding slowly enough to avoid getting damage or something...

Anyway you can make it basically team safe, just remind them to hold left when they come back up after picking up dropped materials.
    spikeywallpitthing.png
    old thinger

Attached Files:

ComboBreaker, SARGRA13, Auri and 21 others like this.
  2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Killing Bracket is always okay regardless of whether or not it's for science.

I do think that corner spike2 is probably the best. The main issue I have is that accidentally falling down 2 wide pit holes is much more difficult in this build because all you have to do is press up and left to climb two block wide holes and never fall down. I can see it picking off people who haven't figured that out yet though.

inactive_account and Noburu like this.
  3. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

It's the elevator glitch that makes this work well, and the elevator glitch that makes it work poorly. Go figure.

4. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

I feel that I deserve more kudos for putting the trapdoors in the indents. For science.

5. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Kudos to Backet for also putting trapdoors in the indents for science and informing me that teammates won't die on them despite the spikes looking like they were facing in a stabby direction.

Also you know how putting spikes on the left and right didn't pan out? Well alternating them, spike left stone right, spike right stone left, undoes that. Maybe something like this:

Untitled.png

6. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

OoooOOoohhh. Nice. I think I'll add those on to my future lulz bunkers/Maginots. :D

Edit: Also thanks for showing Screencast-O-Matic. It looks awesome and just what I've always wanted. :3

7. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Question:

Why does the pic in corner spikes 3 have team doors? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a spike pit if you block it off and make it only team accessible or am I missing something?

8. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

No reason, yes, no.

Just pretend it's a text on a white background that says "You can do corner spikes with team doors"

9. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Okay this is great, and I built a few structures using this concept. I do not believe there is a limit to the use of these!!!

Acavado trap tent.png
    this is great, because if the enemy ever gets into your tent base, they die before they can get the flag. Of course, if I lowered the spikes 1 tile a builder would have a harder time disabling them, but this is just an example.

Acavado trap tower.png
    this one looks like fun to me, it uses one of my favorite archer perches, though I built it in an unfinished manner. just to show the concept.
    the red circle indicates where the enemy will DIE. The blue circle is the repairable steps area, you can make this thicker with team doors like Strathos has done on his "way of the builder" guide. However I did not, and this is a quick example.

I can't wait to do more testing, FOR SCIENCE!

Auri, Noburu, Chinizz and 3 others like this.
  10. I'm curious what's in your head, Acavado. Is this just like "Really nice day, time to invent new spikes for the latest patches."?

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This is beautiful

12. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

this is ... awesomeness... make more plz

13. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

You are truly one of the great builders of our time.

Also, you must've typo'd while posting the topic name. Shouldn't they be "Acavado Corner Spikes"?

Valkyrie and Noburu like this.
  14. killatron46

Corner, or "AIR SPIKES" is probably a sufficient name for them. Besides, Acavado Corner Spikes seems like too long of a name for something so awesome. =S

I'm also working on the simplest form of this in a tower . . . Still testing though.

15. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I did a lot of testing to see by what effect this worked but ended up even more confused.

16. killatron46

The air spikes were for build 228, a lot has changed since build 228, but I believe that this-(corner spikes) stems from the same mechanics that led to air spikes in build 228.

17. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I think you're right.

I'm sorry Wyeth, I didn't read or understand your post thoroughly :<

18. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

eh how are spikes supposed to work as whenever i walk into them i die

19. Mathewson

Mathewson Shopkeep Stealer

if you ever fight in such a tower, you're pretty fucked when forced to retreat.

20. killatron46

This is true . . . But I've been working on a "spammable" version of this, so if you loose forward, just retreat 9 tiles back to your next fortification! =S

Hint:it is sometimes worth it to make another fortification 9+ tiles back from forward when the enemy rushes hard.

Rayne likes this.