1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Optimizing the Standard

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Kouji, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I've noticed that there have always been certain things that are built, archers' nest, towers and other things.

One example of this is how a team only way to retreat back to base. Often there will be things like this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]

This lead me to wonder, which on is better? Maybe there's a better solution, something like this:
    [​IMG]

I feel that Doors provide a better defense against catapults because they are still team only until they break, unlike bridges. They also prevent bombs from landing directly on them, unlike bridges where bombs can stay on and cause more damage.

Bridges on the other hand, are heard to break as knights, unless you are right below them or are the perfect distance away. Bridges also allow you to stand still at any height you wish, (you can do it with notches, but it's harder a little more akward)

All of this made me think, it might be better to make the first part a bridge because it's very difficult for knights to break at that height, but doors provide catapult resistant and a faster way up.

If you guys have a better idea, feel free to post it on this thread, or if there is something else you have seen often, and thought of a way to improve that, post it here.

Acavado, Eggnogg and Beef like this.
  2. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Bridges are faster too.

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Really? I only find bridges faster if they are apart like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Where the 1st one is 3 blocks apart (to make it quick and easy) and then every other one after that to be 4 squares apart to account for vaulting with the wall. I'd agree that this is faster, but if you have to stop mid way through (maybe due to lag), you'd basically have to either start over so that you can vault up again, or you trying vaulting from the edge of the bridge which to me, it feels like it wastes to much time.

4. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Also when it is lined with not a block without one.

5. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Bridges are more vulnerable to bombs thrown directly up as the bridges catch them. One bomb and your retreat path is cut off, but it is mainly personal preference.

6. I use combination which you showed in 3rd photo in simple quick walls. For example:
    [​IMG]
    Really useful, because teamdoor doesn't cost you any stone, works for both sided of climbing, allow archers to snipe through it and give me an option to make there archer window or door. Trapbridge is cheaper and I can quickly attach it to natural wall.
    You found a perfect combo, but I (and probably lots of other people) found it before you.

7. Kouji

Well I'd never say I found it first, but I do feel that the combination seems better maybe should be used more often. It just that I've never seen it used nor has anyone else made a post on it.

I will also agree with Fellere that bridges are more vulunerable because bombs can land on it which can cut off your path. But doors can also be destroyed by knights which can allow them access as well.

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Bridges up at least the first 6 tiles, after that doors IMO.

Don't forget the stone on the floor under the first bridge so knights can't break it!

AJ and Neat like this.
  9. Kouji

Yep, if you don't, they can dig down so that they can jam the bridge (although most pubs would probably never do that). Of course, I didn't do that in the pictures since I just wanted to show the idea, but that's definitely important.

10. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I like a mixture too. And if you have your first bridge on the second tile up (should be untouchable to knights), a background tile beneath it, and then a spike, it'll whittle a heart of health off most knights, and outright kill the less cautious ones who jump and jump without thinking, as well as discouraging knights jumping to break the second bridge or the door.

Rayne likes this.
  11. tinsoldier

tinsoldier Shopkeep Stealer

I've been using a bridge on the ground level with another bridge 4 blocks up so you walk into, not on top of, the lower bridge and vault up to the next. The other team can damage the upper bridge but can't reach it unless they damage the bottom one which knights pretty never can without bombs. Unfortunately, the majority of players don't get how to maneuver up this combo and it suffers from the drawbacks of any bridge based thing in that it's somewhat fragile and of course stacked knights get around this as well.

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This is good, but it doesn't let you place a spike like:
    which is why I've taken to putting the spike here.

13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

building is situational

AJ likes this.
  14. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

Woah, I think you just blew my mind.

But in all seriousness this is the most true statement about building I've seen in a while. You don't just build what you want. You should be building what is appropriate base on terrain elevation and composition, how many players there are, whether you're losing or gaining ground. There are a lot of things to consider when making buildings.

Ghozt and Boxpipe like this.