1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Silent Beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Welcome to the King Arthur's Gold Silent Beta!

FAQ/Intro to the Beta:

What do you mean, Silent Beta?
    • It's public, meaning everyone can access it.
    • It's silent, meaning we're not talking loudly about it to the press yet (you shouldn't too)
    • It's a beta, meaning there are lots of bugs that we're working on fixing, but it's representative of the game we want to release.
    Bugs?
    • Yes, lots of serious ones. We're not releasing this "loudly" at the moment because it's not done, but we need more people to have access to get a feel for how it works with a broader player base, in larger games.
    • Don't expect a cushy ride - the game will probably crash at some point, or have hilarious/annoying desync bugs. If you want a stable experience, wait for another month or so for it to be more refined.
    OMFG IS THIS 1.0?!/!??!?!
    • No.
    • 1.0 is an outdated name - we aren't calling any release of KAG 1.0 at this stage. The name "1.0" implies way, way too much about the state of the software, and doesn't suit our rolling release style of development in any case. We are using the name "KAG Beta" for this phase of the game, and "KAG Final" when referring to the final, finished version.
    • When this phase of the game is released publicly, it will very likely simply be called "King Arthur's Gold" - the classic game will be "KAG classic", and be largely unsupported.
    • Please kindly stop using 1.0 to refer to the beta, as this propagates its usage and causes confusion.
    Do I need a paid account?
    So, what has changed from classic?
    • Almost everything has changed slightly or completely - don't expect "same game, new skin".
    Can we have some specifics?
    • [F] is used for accessing inventory and class menus,
    • [C] is used for picking up items
    • [E] is the most important button for interacting with things
    • [DOWN] to get inside a vehicle (where the arrow is pointing)
    • Space bar is now used for some actions, like lighting bombs
    • Knights have 4 hearts
    • There are none of the old workshops
    • Builders can rotate some blocks with space bar
    • There is no CTF mode (but we will make one eventually!)
    • Water flows dynamically
    • There is no zombie fortress (but we may port it or make another zombie mode)
    • Trees fall and hurt players they fall onto, and wood can be collected from the logs.
    • Movement is much, much faster!
    • Knights and Archers can't break many tiles, including doors and traps
    • Archer can't shoot as far, but have a small knife to backstab with and can shoot fast
    • There are dynamic, physical vehicles that require a crew to pilot them
    • Factories that produce lots of items
    • Boulders are really fantastically dangerous, especially when thrown from a catapult
    • Magical scrolls to turn the tide of war!
    • Much, much more - full, undoctored changelog here: TODO Changelog link (warning, super long and full of bugfix notes)
    What is WAR?
    • WAR is the new basic KAG game mode.
    • Both teams start with nothing and build their base which consists of various buildings and factories.
    • Factories use scrolls which can be bought from the trader.
    • The objective is to have nearly all enemies killed at the same time and their land taken.
    • This usually means killing most of the enemy team and pushing them to the side of the map.
    What about CTF?
    • We'll be adding CTF later on, but it won't be the same way as it's implemented in Classic
    • Classic CTF has major design flaws (flag at spawn being the major one) and plays mostly the same way as WAR but with a long, drawn out base raping stage that's not fun for anyone
    • We'll re-approach it once the rest of the game is working 100% (or 99% ;) )
    What's this I've heard about scripts?
    • Everything is run from scripts, which are tiny, simple programs that tell the engine how the game works, and can be reloaded while the game is running.
    • You can read freely in Base (look for the .as files) for examples of how the game is made - all of the game code is at your fingertips!
    • This means almost everything in the game can be modified, from the appearance and animations to the way something hits other things, or shoots objects. Whole new gamemodes and even whole new games can be built using this system!
    Should I get modding straight away? Is it supported?
    • Not just yet! We haven't completed the modding system yet so it's riddled with bugs.
    • You are free to tinker of course, but be warned that stuff may just outright "not work", or otherwise misbehave :) Nothing is documented properly and you're left alone - syncing mods from servers may work in some cases and won't in others.
    Where can I get it?
    • First of all
    !!!MAKE A CLEAN INSTALL IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTORY OTHER THAN KAG CLASSIC!!!
    eg. C:\KAGBETA
    Something broke! Help!
    • It's best to run the game at 1024x768 windowed resolution, we are aware of bugs (like cursors having wrong scale) at larger resolutions.
    • Please search these forums for a solution to your specific issue and to check if it's been reported already.
    • If the issue hasn't been reported anywhere (and you are really sure that it hasn't been), report it on the bug reports forum and the report moderators will put it on mantis if it's new and has enough info (attach logs, screenshots).
    • Watch this forum for posts about fixes to issues!
    Updates will be coming frequently. Please follow our
    automatic changelog //EDIT by Furai: link removed
    so you don't report something that's already fixed.

Thanks for being a part of this undercover release! Be sure to keep it more or less on the down-low, tell your friends but don't spam it all over the web. We want to polish it up as much as we can before we show the world how great this game really is!

And finally big applause and THANK YOU for all the testers that made this game really happen. Thanks and have fun!

Max & Michal

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Good luck & have fun everybody! :)

Piano, xXEthanXx, Stevedog and 16 others like this.
  3. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Yes I got my life back :D from Candy Box :huh?:

Piano, Iain99, butterscotch and 15 others like this.
  4. Eden

Eden Galen Slayer Donator

I think i'm speaking for all the non-tester's that are single, and have no social life.

Thank you, to the whole KAG team, you're all fab!

Piano, xXEthanXx, FranticIch and 7 others like this.
  5. Alyezo

Alyezo Arsonist

Took you long enough!I Approve this Thread

CrystalClear likes this.
  6. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

It's finally out and everyone's gobsmacked!

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

KAB: King Arthur's Beta

Piano, xXEthanXx, Zeigy and 7 others like this.
  8. lazas1234

lazas1234 Builder Stabber

i will post EVERY bug i find

Piano, Gofio, CookieEpic and 2 others like this.
  9. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Waiting for it to download...... After months of waiting..... Yay!!!!!!! :D

NightRaid104 and CookieEpic like this.
  10. kasra345

kasra345 Haxor

Same toffie!!!! :0 :)

11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Where do we report bugs?

12. Coookie

Coookie Shopkeep Stealer

YES!!! FINALLY!!!
    You saved me from being bored slashing into addBotX !!!
    I'm saved!!!
    YEA!

13. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Hats off to the KAG Team that made this awesome game. Hope everyone enjoys the Beta as much as we do :)

14. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

*doesn't say anything, busy playing beta*

Piano, xXEthanXx, Iain99 and 2 others like this.
  15. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Uhhh.. Hopping shark :|
    screen-13-05-03-18-01-48.jpg

16. For me this was truly silent since I never expected it to be released while I'm awake (which is saying a lot).
    I just want to say that this game should be known 'till the ends of the earth because it is simply awesome. A true indie game. The one and only KAG.
    [​IMG]

Vimes, FuzzyBlueBaron and Geti like this.
  17. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I'll be damned :|

Time to port Tiny Pixl over to the beta then :/

Piano, RiftEnigma, Digger101 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Oh no...... WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER SCHOOL TO PLAY!

Well, at least I can download it.

19. Gouanaco

Gouanaco Shark Slayer

Okay um... I'm downloading now.
    Is there anyway to try out the new features without joining a server ?
    Cause i got a school net that doesn't allow network etc (please dont ask- its not my net but a friends and its hols anyway)

Thx if anyone could reply :D

20. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Had a awsome time being builder ship squished me xD then a got scared and jumped out of my seat in the boat in the water because a shark managed to come on board :D soooo Fun!!!!!!

NightRaid104 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.