1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Feature!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duke_Jordan, Aug 22, 2013.

?

Would you like Weather?

1. Yay!

76 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Nay!

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

This was Asked on Geti's Profile so I had thought to post it here as a suggestion and Idea With a bit more depth and explaination without spamming his profile. While the Devs are busy and I agree with them that other things being made are more important than this right now. What weather could have was
    - Rain to drench fires and raise the sea level slighty, (maybe make wood degrade/easier to break)
    -Snow Storm Hindering the Ability to see far out and causing ice on water (maybe land to) making it slippery and hard to move about to place boats and use them, Ice could be blown up with Bombs
    -Rouge Winds! This Makes it easier for movement to a certain team I.E Wind blows toward the Red Base It Hinders Reds Movement With Boats (Maybe Foot Travel too) and encourages the chance for a attack on blues side of things! (Could Also Hinder Red on top a large buildings blowing them off!)
    -Sand Storm? (if maps ever get sand) Blinding players View Harsher than Snow Would, piling up sand, changing around terrarin,
    -Hail? (could be added with rain) Damages some Blocks, makes ice patches on the ground, harms players that have hail fallen on them
    -Tornado (Now i'm just spitting out some crap ideas?) Damages blocks And changes terrarin Very Roughly!, Kills players that get sucked into it,

What I think
    Adding Weather Affects that deeply impact gameplay would benefit kag (I think it would at least) because it adds another layer of strategy such as the rouge winds encouraging one side to rush, and it hinders a certain team, and that team needs to have defenses built to withstand the attacks of the other team and the rogue wind attacking them. Rain would benefit anyone who likes to build with wood, as I would think it would last a semi longer time than anything else, and it would drench any fires. And with Rain Raising sea levels flooding some bases, camps, tunnels and people making somIe dangerous situations. And maybe sun could dry water up over time. Snow storms would benefit a sneak attack due to its hindering of sight and maybe darkness so you would need a lantern.

Would it be added?
    As geti responded on his profile he would like to add it sometime but right now other things must be added first, everything here were suggestions and ideas I think might be interesting and cool, I know Rouge winds and rain have the highest chance of being added, and maybe sandstorms or snow storms too if we get levels theming sand & snow.

This was Asked on Geti's Profile by Aeroblitzer

2. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

These are interesting ideas. I wouldn't want them to overdo it though, since battles can be quite hectic already :B):

crackwise and Duke_Jordan like this.
  3. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I'd rather have weather for just cosmetic purposes initially, if weather would have an impact on the battlefield, it should be extremely minimal.

J-man2003 and crackwise like this.
  4. Duke_Jordan

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Battles can be hectic, I will give you that. But this adds a whole new layer of elements into the game such as the rogue winds that would encourage one side to rush and to attack.
    Why would you want it minimal? I thought it was add a whole new element to kag that we don't often see.

5. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

KAG can already accommodate a very diverse range of different tactics and strategies, no need to randomise it with unpredictable weather that can turn around a match just like that, instead of the skill and coordination of the people involved.

J-man2003 and Kouji like this.
  6. Duke_Jordan

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

this would be the exact thing that would make the match interesting, Turning it around and adding a new element of randomness, if it were added a server file making it true or false would most likely be added with it, just so some players who might not like it can turn it off and that's okay and there choice. The turning around that match and complete randomness would be something I want just because it adds another layer on kag we haven't even seen and it would be cool to try it out.

7. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Yeah, except one problem: random removes skill. In case you have not noticed, King Arthur's Gold is a very skill-driven game. There are no critical hits or damage numbers that just vary under identical circumstances. There are already quite a bit of tournaments and arranged matches, having them randomised would pretty much turn the legitimacy of the wins upside-down. Same reason why you don't see the damage numbers in Starcraft 2 be 5-8, but just 5.

Yeah, let's do that with every rejected idea in the suggestions subforum.

You could just create/have somebody else create a weather mod then, no? Last I heard, there is actually a competition for modders to create mods to give new ideas/mechanics to the devs.

I know I sound very negative and quite possibly more aggressive than I should, but I'm not sorry (no "No offence but <insert offensive comment here>"), because your vision of this idea does not fit well with the metagame of KAG.

8. Duke_Jordan

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

First off these were all ideas and suggestions that I would personally like, I understand you don't like them so you can stop arguing with me. (I really don't care at this point if your just going to be negative)

"At the moment, no, because it has no gameplay benefit. We may add wind (affecting boats, encouraging one side to rush and blowing skybridgers off their skybridges) and rain (dousing all exposed fires on the map) at some point but it's too much work for the moment, we're focused on other things."

That was Quoted from Geti in his response to weather and some of the shit ideas I had, I can admit to them and say they were you don't need to press its Such a bad idea when some people want this right now your speaking by yourself and few others while I am just saying what I would like just like some others would. Most of the shit ideas anyway such as a tornado weren't supposed to be taken seriously And this was a suggest thus why I put it under this subforum.

9. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Yeah, I don't like them exactly for the reasons I stated above. I offered analysis on why the idea would not work, if implemented as you would like to see it. If you can come up with convincing arguments or modifications to the idea to make it more fitting to the spirit of KAG, sure, I'd be glad to discuss it further. I offered my solution to make it more a cosmetic change rather than a drastic gameplay-altering mechanism.

Bottom line: the devil is in the details

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  10. Duke_Jordan

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Understandable I just used rough thoughts of what weather Could be not an indepth thing that I should've done. if you would like to talk further about it you may go ahead and do so

11. Landoo2

Landoo2 Ballista Bolt Thrower

nice idea bro: D
    expecially when it gets winter and there is a snow storm, maybe this replace a texturepack like winter, white trees and grass...
    and all is cloudy... that would make the game so much cooler and maybe that would have a nice place in a kab trailer...
    i mean that would look awesome... ( if geti designs it ofcourse^^ )

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  12. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

I love the idea! Maybe not things like tornadoes and other damaging weather factors, but rain, snow and wind would just add to the already amazing game.

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  13. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I like the idea, but you shouldn't post ideas on Geti's profile. This is why we have the suggestions sections. I'm glad you brought it here, but next time make sure your idea has not been posted before and then make a thread. Nice idea though, hope some iteration of this will be put in the full game. Also I think you can mod in the rain with the water splash sprites.

Ps the the posting on the people profile thing is meant for other people not the op.

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  14. Yokomuri

Yokomuri Catapult Fodder

I think weather would be a good idea,if we had a single player survival mode.
    When its snows you have to keep warm (You could probably make the light of zombie mode the fire source.)
    The same idea with heat also.You would have to keep cool or else your character may die of dehydration.
    I support this idea 100%.

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  15. Landoo2

god damn, when is this thing released pls? everyone knows that it would look awesome and some new buffs like a slippery ground, and trees would be so nice. im sure if it gets added, 80 percent will like it, because it makes the combat more diverse so that it isnt always the same..

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  16. never

17. Landoo2

why not, the idea is awesome!

Blubahub likes this.
  18. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

If it does, it wont happen for a while....most likely

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If you are very anxious for this, it's the kind of thing that would be perfect to mod in - self contained functionality that people could drop into their server if they so choose. We won't be adding "official" weather any time soon.

DatNobby and Duke_Jordan like this.
  20. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I wouldn't mind a light weather system IF it didn't have negative effects, but more of an atmospheric affect. Weather with negative attributes would be good for a survival-esque server.

Redshadow6 and Apronymous like this.
Mods: Rainbows