1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: hold "key" to cap siege weapon

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by BillyWeedman, Jun 11, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. BillyWeedman

BillyWeedman Haxor

Since you get coins every time you hit and/or destroy an enemy siege weapon and there is no point on capturing a catapult that the enemy just placed and locked right in front of your flag room I think that giving players the chance to decide if such siege weapon is worth capturing or not.

I don't know if its hard to implement this, but imo it would be a good small change that would affect sieges by discouraging random deployment

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I like this idea because it allows you to farm gold off of badly-placed siege vehicles and possibly (this would have to be implemented) people couldn't spawn at the vehicle (ballista in this case) if you were holding the button.

3. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

noobs wouldn't figure it out

johny98 and Psiklaw like this.
  4. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Then tell them or put a "Push E to cap" thing when you go near a siege weapon.

bru-jaz and Anonymuse like this.
  5. Just put a little floating message that says "Hold V to capture" or something along those lines that hovers above a nearby enemy siege weapon

Anonymuse and Blue_Tiger like this.
  6. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

More buttons = not likely. Could make it require sitting in it but you cant guard it with 1 person then.

The ballistae aren't meant to spawn more people when they're being capped but its a long standing bug. Spawn system is a mess.

8. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

On a related note, I believe that your ability to cap a ballista is 'paused' when an enemy is close by, and you need more 'cappers' than 'defenders' for the cap timer to go down (citation needed). This makes solo capping stuff incredibly difficult as you can essentially be completely blocked by some builder sitting in their tower, even if they're afk.

9. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I don't think you can "break" cap defense by having more people than the defenders. afaik it's uncappable as long as one defender is nearby.

Is it doable to not have spawn protection at ballistas? this is my main gripe with them.

On a related note, since so many things in KAG are broken, will there ever be a complete rewrite of the game? Or a KAG 2 even? I have such a love-hate relationship with this game, since it could be a real gem of a game if everything just worked as it should, but as it stands it just seems like you're trying to patch up broken things which usually brings new problems with every update, not to mention things which will likely never be resolved.
    I would pay money (as in, rebuy the game or buy KAG 2) for a fully functioning KAG experience.

tru0067 likes this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: cap defense - I honestly couldn't remember if you could break the cap with more people - turns out you cant. Could be a reasonable change if there was some sort of display for it.

Re: no spawn protection at ballistae - honestly that'd just make them even more frustrating for both teams.

Re: kag 2 - There might. We've definitely talked about it. We're just (MM and I, not the interns afaik) feeling pretty done with the game at the moment - TR is much more enjoyable to work on because though it's still got the same old engine problems, the game code is reasonably clean. A rewrite of "kag 1" will never happen, been there, not interested in that ride again. Sorry to be frank, haha.

Tern, SirDangalang and TheDirtySwine like this.
  11. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

What would be the difference between a KAG rewrite and KAG 2? As in, what main features would you change/add/remove? Obviously nothing in this hypothetical game is set in stone, but have you thought about it at all? i'm asking because you indicate KAG 2 is a possibility but not a rewrite.

12. BillyWeedman

BillyWeedman Haxor

Well as I understand they are rewriting the engine to make TR possible. They could do the same again to make a KAG sequel instead of trying to fix all the original game. Or not, who knows? But KAG2 would bring so much happiness

13. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Kag 2 would be fantastic if they kept the same basic concept but focused more on multiplayer. They could improve customization, more in depth combat/classes, and maybe a different look?

14. Geti

Re: a rewrite - there's not enough financial stimulus for us to ever attempt it. Re-launching the game on steam isn't possible.

Re: KAG2 - I dont want to talk about it much as there is nothing beyond a few conversations between MM and myself at the moment, but the attraction is being able to completely change whatever we like. The current progression systems are broken, but there are lots of players who have learned them and rely on them. The current class balance has a lot of overlaps and situational patches, but a lot of players have spent a lot of time learning them. The current movement makes building (particularly front line building) quite a difficult task, but every player depends on those mechanics. Building itself has tens of flaws, but again every single builder has learned to work with them - small changes are possible, but still garner anger, and at the end of the day big, widesweeping changes would be needed to fix it.

Everything we changed from classic->KAG was complained about in some form or another and it really drives a wedge into the community. We'd be happy in future to do something that's an abject sequel to allow us to take it in a different direction. While I'm sure changes would still garner complaints, they're more expected by people with a sequel, and we wouldn't be taking anything away from anyone by changing the game they've already paid for and already enjoy (again, something that the classic diehards have always perceived us as doing).

We'd also be free to change the aesthetic, what classes were available, the pacing, goal, etc etc for the game. That level of creative freedom with the design is honestly the only thing that's attractive about the idea of more work on KAG.

I wont be talking more about it in this thread, as it's a huge derail. Know that it's possible, the motivation is obviously HUGE CHANGES BREAKING YOUR FAVOURITE CLASS INTO SMITHEREENS, and if it happens it'll be in a long time.

Re: TR requiring rewriting engine - we're sharing the engine between KAG and TR - its a double edged sword as it means anything that TR breaks in KAG needs to be fixed and reconciled, and there's more testing to be done on both sides, but it also means anything we do that makes more possible with the scripting engine comes over to KAG to be used in mods as well - most notably all the tilemap stuff that happened a few months ago.

Tern, heX_, tru0067 and 1 other person like this.
  15. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

If there was a new kag (Kag 2) I would love more classes, siege weaponns etc.

Anyway, the Hold E for capping a siege weapon seems bad. Too many new players and even the older players would get confused/forget about the button. Siege capping is good as it is right now.

Or maybe getting coins from capping siege weapons? (since flags get coins once capped)

Mods: Rainbows