1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server Config CLI Contest! Closed get your CLI tools here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The Brief:
    We want server configuration to be simpler for the average joe but don't have the time to make a server config gui or CLI at the moment!

Thus, we're putting it to the community to write a CLI configuration script (preferably cross platform and at least compatible with linux) with the following capability (it's up to you how you organise them, but it helps if things are logically grouped and if labels and menus are straightforward):
    • Gamemode select
    • (then mode specific modifications such as unit_count etc)
    • number of player slots
    • adding maps to the map cycle
    • map width and height for generated maps
    • server name
    • server info string
    The prizes:
    • First full functioning config utility gets a full version gift code free of charge.
    • The best one (judged by the KAG Staff at their discretion) will also get a gift code free of charge and will be included with KAG until such a point in time that we have the spare time and drive to make our own sever configuration system.
    It is naturally a condition of entry that you grant the KAG staff the non-exclusive right to distribute any submitted software and accompanying source code. If you are unable to grant such a right, we are unable to grant you any prize.

If the first submitted one is also the best, that person will have a spare code to give away to a buddy.

Method of prize delivery will by by kagforum.com personal message unless you specify otherwise along with your submission.

Note: your config utility should probably be more or less self contained and just launch a KAG server in a similar manner to dedicatedserver.sh (using the CLI args to KAG for config and autostart) while saving the files it creates locally.

I look forward to your entries!

EDIT: the first entry has been recieved, and will be available for all to download soon enough.

FINAL EDIT:

The contest is closed for now - we may revisit this initiative at some point in the future though.

Downloads for Maqq's Entry:
    Windows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51067730/KAGServer.exe (has python included)
    Linux/OSX: http://213.152.176.254/mirror/sconfig.py
    Old: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51067730/Serverconfig.py

who, Fellere825, Shadlington and 4 others like this.
  2. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

No time, damn it! D:

3. Snow

Snow KAG Guard Tester

Hmm. Tempting. Could do a java or web based utility, however I'm an absolute noob at linux. Dunno when you want this by, but I'll probably be one of the last to finish, if I should partake.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's an open ended thing. If we get a pile of entries tomorrow, it'll close next week. If it's a lot slower, you can have about a month on it, though we'll likely have some time for it around then.

If you do java it'll be linux capable, just make sure it works from the command line. I guess web based could work if it spewed out a .tar or .zip with all the files needed to run and a script to start the server but it's better if you can upload the utility itself to the server and if the utility can start the server itself.

5. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Damn I should learn programing :P

6. Wonkyth

Yes, yes you should.

7. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

I could prepare something in bash, however it won't be compatible with Windows and Mac... Maybe a try with C? Duh, propably I will be just too lazy to compete but who knows...

8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Dont want to hijack the thread so we can talk about programming in IRC sometimes :D

9. Snow

Snow KAG Guard Tester

If it's command line, then it would be strictly text based - such as like using VI editor I guess. I was thinking more like GUI. I guess if you're running a dedicated server, then you'd be booting linux in text only mode. Hmm. There would be no harm in making 2 versions of the java utility - one with a gui and the other with just a text interface.

trelawney likes this.
  10. Geti

Feel free to do that Snow, it sounds like it'd be helpful for those running with visual access to the server but yeah, I have servers accessible only by ssh in mind thus the CLI requirement.

trelawney likes this.
  11. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Fairly easy objective, Although I'm fairly tied with the Development of the PHP-Based Panel, I'll see if I have time to recycle some of the slave code to make a basic script :D.

12. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Installing java for a simple cli tool is overkill. That's just my two cents cause I'm a cheap bastard that can only afford smalltime VPS's.
    example (debian):
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre -s
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      avahi-daemon dbus gsfonts-x11 java-common libasound2 libavahi-core7 libdaemon0 libnss-mdns libxtst6
      sun-java6-bin
    Suggested packages:
      avahi-autoipd dbus-x11 default-jre equivs libasound2-plugins binfmt-support sun-java6-plugin
      ia32-sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts ttf-unfonts-core ttf-kochi-gothic
      ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      avahi-daemon dbus gsfonts-x11 java-common libasound2 libavahi-core7 libdaemon0 libnss-mdns libxtst6
      sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
    0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Inst java-common (0.40 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all])
    Inst sun-java6-jre (6.26-0squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all]) []
    Inst sun-java6-bin (6.26-0squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Inst libavahi-core7 (0.6.27-2+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable, Debian-Security:6.0/stable [i386])
    Inst libdaemon0 (0.14-2 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Inst dbus (1.2.24-4+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Inst avahi-daemon (0.6.27-2+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable, Debian-Security:6.0/stable [i386])
    Inst gsfonts-x11 (0.21 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all])
    Inst libasound2 (1.0.23-2.1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Inst libnss-mdns (0.10-3.1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Inst libxtst6 (2:1.1.0-3 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf java-common (0.40 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all])
    Conf sun-java6-bin (6.26-0squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf sun-java6-jre (6.26-0squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all])
    Conf libavahi-core7 (0.6.27-2+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable, Debian-Security:6.0/stable [i386])
    Conf libdaemon0 (0.14-2 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf dbus (1.2.24-4+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf avahi-daemon (0.6.27-2+squeeze1 Debian:6.0.3/stable, Debian-Security:6.0/stable [i386])
    Conf gsfonts-x11 (0.21 Debian:6.0.3/stable [all])
    Conf libasound2 (1.0.23-2.1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf libnss-mdns (0.10-3.1 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Conf libxtst6 (2:1.1.0-3 Debian:6.0.3/stable [i386])
    Ideally I'd go for an interpreted language that's usually installed by default in every distro (python,perl etc)

13. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ditto. Simplicity is better :)

14. Wonkyth

Perl, Go!

15. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

I was thinking about that for some time. Simplest thing that comes to my mind is shell scripting and using dialog library (ncurses widgets). Still I don't see what is solves - people who knows and use CLI, shouldn't have much problem with directly editing conf files.

On other hand web based generator could be much more useful e.g. PHP script (just example, can be anything else). "Fill up boxes and checkboxes on web site, then download files and overwrite configuration". Feature to save and reuse configs could be nice. Anyway I think that WWW solution is the best way and reaches wider audience.

16. Rioja

Rioja Ballista Bolt Thrower

I need premium, so i'm gonna learn how to program just to do this and attempt a win.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  17. Wonkyth

Good luck, Rioja.

18. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Omfg, all of you are coming with _really_ strange ideas. Does _nobody_ here know how to program in C/C++ ? O.o

19. Wonkyth

Not so strange, I thought.
    C/C++ isn't really made for applications such as this.

20. Snow

Snow KAG Guard Tester

Could do it in C, but Perl was mentioned and I too agree that for a gui utility a web based utility is best, then overwrite or replace the existing files and done deal. Hopefully I can at least touch this computer on Saturday. I can just barely be on today and haven't even been able to play KAG for over a week. :( So many griefers not getting kicked by me.. I can't bare the thought.

Noburu and trelawney like this.