1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Seclevs, Blocks and Physics Headaches

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This week, things have happened!

Tom has been working on Security Level code, which will allow server owners to build their own tiers of moderators, with a very fine level of control over exactly what each level of user can do. Join in the discussion here

Ryan has moved house, driven for many, many hours and almost yelled at his cats. He's got some more API security work to do but naturally has had more limited time than usual to work on KAG. Hopefully moving the rest of his stuff goes smoothly.

I'm over in NZ with my family for a few weeks, which means I'll have even worse ping than usual if I see you ingame. I've been accused of being a hacker ingame already, please look for the purple name and hair before you start pointing fingers ;)

In actual development news:

Michal and I have been working primarily on physics rewrites for this and last week, and it's been exhausting, especially for Michal, who has had to bear the brunt of the programming work, especially recently.

The majority of the kinks have been hammered out though, and now things like this are possible:

vYW5l.png

Note the lack of lighting on the constructed blocks - that's still work in progress.

They're also not settling to the grid yet because the support mechanic isn't 100% finalised - we're pretty set in the implementation though, and it should be done this weekend.

Most of the block behaviours will be defined in common scripts that can be used as examples, and to quickly add functionality to modded blocks and the like.

Behind the scenes of the above image is the new (also work in progress) inventory system. Here's a sneak peek:

4uPUT.png

(Apologies for the strange pixel warping, shot taken on a years-old laptop)

We're going to have to play with how this affects game balance because a builder with a full inventory is holding a fairly gigantic number of blocks.

We're likely going to split off classic at the point of this next release so that it doesn't get any of the changes to the underlying structure, as they affect movement and game balance a lot - we'd like to be able to move forward drastically without destroying what we've already got, so classic will stay preserved as a separate game (kind of like what Mojang were doing with minecraft a few years ago with classic/creative, survival and survival multiplayer, not sure what the deal there is now).

The movement behind the game is now more physically designed, which means that you keep your momentum in the air and that there is no kind of velocity cap. This is very important for things like jumping on trampolines.

We're excited for what ramps, trampolines, building momentum and so on will do for race/jump maps - I'll be looking into coding an actual race gamemode so that a competitive gamemode that doesn't necessarily involve killing each other can exist.

We'll keep you posted with more developments as they happen, no date for you guys yet though I'm afraid :)

Max/Geti

Graver, Digger4401, Grindle and 29 others like this.
  2. Transformice?

I'm also interested in this new block system/interface (especially this 'We're going to have to play with how this affects game balance because a builder with a full inventory is holding a fairly gigantic number of blocks.'). Is there any chance that this is going to be end of overpowered one-man armies known also as builder?

3. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

[​IMG]

Arcite, amgtree, DrZaloski and 13 others like this.
  4. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

@Rayne: What's thing on right?
    Could we use stone ramps as slides using also bare boat(without sail) to move faster?
    I want to test builds :c

5. Leifanator

Leifanator Catapult Fodder

Wow, didn't know you were from NZ. Hope your family wasn't affected by the Christchurch quakes or the more recent Taranaki one.

Anyway! Looking good! Now I just need an Indiana Jones hat for when boulders roll after me down those ramps.

Arcite and Wonkyth like this.
  6. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Probably a pulley, I didn't get to test this, it's just a screen geti showed me on irc.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ah damnit rayne, after I took all the time to get the blocks nice and aligned in the public shot, haha.

@Leif: I'm originally from Aus but my family moved to NZ when I was in high school and stayed, I went back to Aus for university and live there. They're based in Auckland so no, they weren't affected by the quakes, but I've got a few friends who were, so thanks for the well wishing anyway.

Not sure if I want to include that hat, but probably should just so people can hum the theme to themselves as they try to dodge boulders, then take the hat off in shame as they're run down by the inescapable traps :)

@Ej: Thats a generic inventory, not just a block selection screen.

Riletyface and delankski like this.
  8. lehoon

lehoon King

I'm a little confused on the purpose of the ramps (other than for boulders). Can someone explain to me what they mean by race/jump maps? I did not see that in the equation anywhere :/

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  9. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

well, with a ramp, you can build up speed. then with another ramp, you can jump really high, or far. if they did a good job on the physics, that is.

10. Instead of spiking your tower in fear of bombjumpers, you can make a slope leading straight to your spike trap.

I bet it will take them 10 tickets to notice.

Arcite, Serolfic, Miauw62 and 4 others like this.
  11. ar3k

ar3k Catapult Fodder

Think of how the movement in the tribes game works, you slide down and gain momentum and then launch of the other ramp.

Arcite, Wixmef and FliesLikeABrick like this.
  12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Looking good! Hopefully once I get my machine working again there will be tastiness available for testing... :)

inb4theoff-topic

I swear, I will end the first person who posts about things not relevant to the OP. If you include an off-topic comment in an on-topic post, that's fine; but be forewarned that if your off-topic side note leads to a fully off-topic post in reply... heaven help you! :skull:

3e0jUn, CoD and Ghozt like this.
  13. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

I can imagine it, making a massive ramp, then you get in abbot at the top. Someone pushes you. You hit the ramp at the bottom. New way of transport. Even better when you jump off the ramp at the bottom you jump off and catch an up draft with the kite and go sailing. :p

Just a suggestion; a plank or small Roseanne (bloody iPod? I think I meant role-able) object so you can gain lots of speed. So then you can make massive jumps off of ramps.

I can also imagine RTDM maps with a ledge in the middle with water up to the ridge. Two boat ramps either side. Arrive by boat and then fight it out!

14. YEAH_NAH

YEAH_NAH Shipwright

When I first saw the OP I was skeptical, but after hearing all the possibilities, I am diffidently convinced. :3

OFFTOPIC:
    Now I just need an IRL photo of you geti, so if I see you in the streets I can say hi. :p

15. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Damn, now we're going to have Nooby War-Pyramids.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how ramps are going to be used.
    Is there any chance of trap-ramps or slanted trap-bridges?

16. CoD

CoD Haxor

Pyramids meet Noob Hunt.
    Nice, will be dreaming about what to make with them :P
    Although it will be pretty awkward using the blocks, how would you move up them, constantly jumping or smoothly?
    Also will we be seeing you on Aussie servers Geti?
    EDIT: Just read more comments, you're from Aus? How come your never on Aus servers?

short_round likes this.
  17. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

@CoD, you never see Geti on servers at all because he does not exist.

I hope slopes are also for more than justracing, but racing with automatically timed bombs and bomb jumping and stuff would be cool as!

18. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Finally I'll be able to attach slopes to my towers so any bombs thrown will just slide off the roof and what so ever.

Awesomec likes this.
  19. Geti

See Attached. This was around the time I killed a man in Russia.
    KilledAMan.jpg
    More recent (at GDC)
    [​IMG]

Re: "why arent you on aus servers": I am, just generally at horrible times of night and very often under alts. I played under my Geti account just yesterday, and as always spent about 80% of the game playing tech support :) I prefer to actually play the game when I'm playing it.

If you must off topic about any this please start a new thread. //Or else...

As for slopes purpose, you can use steep ones to keep enemies out and it lets you get up and down hills without jumping the whole time, and build more player-friendly internal structures (think "stairs")

Twisty, Valkyrie, Noburu and 2 others like this.
  20. CoD

CoD Haxor

OK, cool thanks for clearing that up.

short_round likes this.