1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

PotatoMcWhiskey's Guide to Not being an Unintentional Griefer. [09876543?]

Discussion in 'Builder' started by potatomcwhiskey, Feb 8, 2013.

1. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

I'll be posting lessons from time to time explaining what not to do and why. This is a general guide not a specific guide. I will be focusing on concepts in building design rather than specific buildings.

Lesson I: Door Height.

Picking the correct height for the doors to allow allies to exit in a safe and quick manner is a good skill to learn.

[​IMG]

I the image above there are three scenarios. Please note that the buildings are facing as if I was a red player despite me being a blue player.

Red - The first box showcases what is known as Worst Case Scenario. The doors are on the ground level with no way for allies to go over the top to get to the enemy. This forces allied knights to compromise their structure in order to fight the enemy. Never do this, there is a special circle in hell reserved for you if you do so.

Yellow - The second box showcases a much better scenario. The door is raised up from the ground meaning a lone knight can't just start plinking away at your doors and at the very least needs to get some assistance to try and break in. This is much better but isn't ideal as if the enemy somehow managed to get to the doors your allies have no way to go over the top to fight them. Note that the door height is 4 from the ground level, this is actually a really safe height if you need a makeshift wall in a hurry to buy time.

Green - The third box illustrates what I call Reasonable Perfection. A lot of builders when they finally realise they shouldn't make doors on ground level decide to start making them 10-20 tiles high in the build phase. This is a huge mistake. Somewhere between 7-12 tiles off the ground is a safe height. The reason I picked seven for what I call reasonable perfection is because it is really easy to slash down as a knight onto attackers from a seven height wall and it requires co-operation of 3 knights to attack the door, or 5 to scale it. Make sure to add a knight if there is an archer defending as one person will need to shield. Also, please make note of the trap bridges by the door, this allows your knights to go over the top if they need to, most wont cause they're stupid but the ones who do know why and how to make it count. Also, your knights, builders and archers wont take damage jumping down from this building.

Knowing how to high to place your doors is critical to building proper defenses in King Arthurs Gold. A lot of shitty and medium tier builders stick to building the same structures over and over again without understanding the fundamentals of their design. Personally speaking as an experienced builder picking the correct door height is the most important part of being a builder once you understand the basic mechanics of door walls and trap bridges.

Thats all for lesson one, Lesson two will be tomorrow and it will be about Location.

UnnamedPlayer, Boxpipe, feet and 16 others like this.
  2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I have a feeling you're gonna make some excellent guides. Door height is always a hotbutton issue in the world of KAG, and it seems kids never learn to not build ground level doors. Good work.

Boxpipe likes this.
  3. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

There is an issue I have found with doors even as high as 7 blocks, and that's bombs. Players will naturally clump around the door, and the lower it is the higher the chances of someone throwing a bomb through it. A much higher door can often counter this issue completely.

Boxpipe likes this.
  4. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

This sounds promising, can't wait for the next ones.

Boxpipe likes this.
  5. potatomcwhiskey

I'm having some trouble getting KAG to work on this computer, when I get access to my other computer to make images I'll add lesson two, probably tomorrow or monday.

The problem of building high than 7 is you run the risk of your allies getting stunned or hurt as they land, leaving them vulnerable to enemy attacks.

Boxpipe likes this.
  6. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I'm eagerly awaiting the next segment! This guide has a lot of potential. Considering how much I suck at building(I have never made a ground door luckily) this guide should help.

Boxpipe likes this.
  7. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

For the 2nd tower, knights can slash a door that's 4 blocks high.

Boxpipe likes this.
  8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Excellent post PmcW!

One thing though: I understand that the focus is on entrance/exit height however several design choices about the good tower make me a little uncomfortable.

You noted that the drawbridges allow for the vitally important access to the top of the tower, however this could have been done much better by simply removing the top right stone block. That way you don't have to spend 80 wood and get an additional one stone savings. There are a few fringe benefits of the construction in that image (that I won't go into for the sake of brevity) that could be replicated at lower cost as well.

I also have a few qualms about the generous portion of BG wall, the frugal boost pads, and the somewhat unnecessary door piece at the bottom (arguably it's useful for making the wall easily repairable) but the above is my main critique and all in all in its a fairly trivial point but I feel like a post this close to perfect is deserving of the closest examination.

Boxpipe likes this.
  9. potatomcwhiskey

Thats very true Contrary, while i am indeed a good builder I do have some bad habits left over. Typically that block is left there because I expand the tower into a second tier for archer convenience.

Thank you for the observations. I'll update and edit the image to include your suggestions tonight once I get KAG installed for good.

IN GREAT NEWS AFTER 6 WEEKS MY NEW COMPUTER IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND THE NEXT PART OF THE GUIDE IS IMPENDING. I APOLOGISE FOR THE DELAY.

I do like to leave that bottom door there for a variety of reasons though, namely repairs, aswell as sometimes having to dig downwards to place stone to deal with digging knights, which could leave the floor too low to jump out of for less agile individuals.

Boxpipe and Guitarman like this.
  10. Force

Force Shark Slayer

I like it. Maybe some new players will finally stop using ground doors. Every time I see a ground door ingame I feel like crying.

Guitarman likes this.
  11. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

Nerco-ing ftw, eh?

Canadian98, Excelsier and Force like this.