1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mortar for builders

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by NKking, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Do you like the idea or not?

1. Yes

54.8%
  2. No

45.2%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

The idea is simple builders will be able to shoot one use mortar, which projectile will explode on collision with any object or explode on its own while flying.

More details.

• Mortar will be an object which will be researched with the ammo supplies.
    • If the Supplies factory produces in total 3 bombs some sort amounts of arrows it will also produce 1 mortar.
    • Mortar will take 1 ammo slot in the builders inventory.
    • Mortar will use the same aiming and shooting mechanics as the Ballista uses ( player wont be able to shoot it in a straight line, only on a curved trajectory.)
    • Builder will be able to run with a mortar.
    • It will take some time for mortar to actually shoot (the same way it takes archer to shoot a full charged arrow.)
    • When Mortar projectile will collide with an object it will explode the same way the Minikegs did.

I already started to do some designing and sprite work. If that idea wont be implemented in to the actual game I will most likely make a mod make a mod.
    +
    We upgraded Knight and now we giving arches a combo shooting ability and a grappling hook.
    don't you think that time had come to give to builders something whit what they will be able to defend them self's on the front line

Bazoka.png

JoshTG likes this.
  2. razor871

razor871 Catapult Fodder

Sounds like a great idea for implementation, will it have the ability to burn wooden structures too?

3. NKking

I don't think so, but it could have a napalm ammo as alternative.

4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I am in full support. Builders have become far too squishy as of late.

I just hope that if this does happen (mod or otherwise) they don't use it inside of the base to fight off raiding Knights... :rollseyes:

5. NKking

First of all Haw mortars work?
    Mortar is a long range weapon which as a really curved trajectory.
    First of all I planned mortar as a thing for builders which will allow them to shoot over enemy towers and to give builders some long range supportive damage potential.

6. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

I believe he's saying the builder would either miss and destroy the tower, or blow the doors open for the raiders.

7. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

He means noobs (the bad kind) would misuse it inside of a base to fend of knights; similar to how you sometimes will see a knight light a keg in his own base to get rid of attackers.
    I quite like the sprite for the ammunition as well :)

8. NKking

Well, there will always be stupid/noob players. + it will be a bit hard to misuse because the mortar wont shoot either on 0 degrees angle or 90 degrees angle it will be somewhere around 45- 75. something along those lines. he only way they could mess it up is to stand in front of their own tower and shoot directly at it and those sort of actions called grifing.

Following your logic we should remove kegs, bombs, fire arrows, satchels, saw, bomb arrows.

9. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I didn't say it shouldn't be implemented, I just was clarifying what nighthawk meant.

10. webkinz96647

webkinz96647 Catapult Fodder

I don't really like this idea because builders should not have much attacking abilities they should be more "builder"

11. NKking

I don't like stereotypes In classic offensive builder was the only way to get in to the enemy base. Yes beta is different, but I loved to play as a offensive builder I classic and now the only class I play is knight. I think it will promote builder a bit more. Also archers are soon will turn in to ninjas and knights are already really tough and have high damage output so it is time to give a shiny toy for builder so he could play with it :3

beta building is boring there is no such thing as a strategically designed buildings
    you have a wall with doors in the middle and that is it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 30, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 30, 2013 ---
    and I am clarifying why it is not a big problem , well I haven't done any testing yet and probably wont in the near feature, so I cant say that there will not be any disbalances.

12. webkinz96647

well for builders you can use drills to attack with which don't cost much at all

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'm still on the side that builders are already deadly enough when it comes to destroying structures.​
    Archers have the special ammo, anyways.​
    Builders tend to be the ones that take time out of their day maintaining siege weapons, leading to regrettable scenarios where they can outright hold back the enemy line, and destroy anything.​
    I don't like the thought of more research being available, just compound it with bomb amo.​

webkinz96647 likes this.
  14. webkinz96647

I totally agree with you!

15. NKking

Not really, They were nerfed A LOT.
    And archers don't even concentrate on the different ammo because they turned in to a semi automatic mouthed bow.
    no on servers I can see only 1 builder per team (active builder) they are kind of useless now.

16. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

amgtree likes this.
  17. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

I think it's a good idea, but I think that:
    1) The Mortar Cannon should not be able to be fired while being carried, so it has to be on the ground like a catapult in Alpha
    2) It should have its own factories for the Mortar itself and ammo (standard, incendiary/napalm, HE, shrapnel, gas?)
    3) The blast radius must not be larger than a keg
    4) The angle which it is allowed to fire must not be lower than 60 degrees, otherwise people could use it to direct-fire on enemies

18. NKking

All of that is already included in the design, but it is hard to program different types of ammo and a separate shop. It is also impossible right now to add sprites to the game without making a separate client.
    :3 I may think on adding that to, so it is like a builder improvement mod.

19. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Well, I still don't like making a new tech piece for it.

But I would like for more interactions like "bomb arrow + ballista = HEAT Warheads", but with "[Archer Special Ammo] + Mortar = Mortar Special Ammo".
    [I'd still feel safer if the mortar takes up a bit of space in the inventoy, or can't be inventoried]

Past that, I would like an issue to be a sort of slow aim, slow fire, or slow production, since catapults, and ballistae are incredibly powerful on their own.

[Also building mortar? Don't you mean 'Old Man Willaker's Sticky Glue'?]

20. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Just make a WW2 mod if you want mortars? :huh?:

Guitarman likes this.
Mods: Rainbows