1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lavalord's Map Making Compilation Inc. Geti's Guide + Mega Competition

Discussion in 'Maps' started by lavalord, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Abstract
    Some people think that KAG map making is simple, but there is a skill required for the creation of maps, not just in KAG but many other games which many people overlook. This skill is achieved through experience. By being subjected to online KAG matches you discover the mechanics of the game and it is these mechanics which allow you to determine exactly what a "fun" map contains.

This guide is not meant to discourage or insult any young or experienced map makers but to improve their knowledge and hopefully ignite the map sub-forum. You will not learn how to use image programs or how to load maps in KAG (there are countless other forum posts out there). However you will learn exactly what to draw as well as the method by which you can build a satisfying map.

The first part of the guide includes my interpretation of KAG map mechanics reviewed and edited by fellow aficionados. The second part is a method by which you can push your ideas to established maps as written by the man himself, Geti. Overall this took me a couple of days to write and is quite long, so to reward patient reading at the end of the guide there is a contest to see who has absorbed the most knowledge. To win I highly suggest you read the points set out below. Good luck to all entries!

KAG Map Mechanics (The What)
    Before you start using your image editor, you will need to learn what impact your designs will have in-game. Then you have two choices: you can plan the map or you can think while you build. The former allows you to create a sounder map, as when you decide on the style of gameplay you want it gives you smaller goals to attain allowing for an easier job. It also means less time testing the map in-game as you will not have as many balancing issues. The latter is advantageous when you cannot think of ideas and allows for the formation of plentiful maps in a relatively short amount of time. Either way, the paragraphs below have insightful knowledge which I am sure will help your maps improve.
    Size is very influential in maps as you are defining the limits of the map. They are determined by two things: game mode and number of players. When talking about other mechanics I will reference these sizes.
    [​IMG]
    To successfully make a map you must start from the ground and work upwards. If your base is bad, how can you expect to grow on it? The type of foundation is a centred on the type of map you desire. Most prefer a solid bedrock layer, but you could just as easily use stone or dirt.

Linear --> bedrock/stone

Tunnelling/Non-linear --> use dirt/stone

Linear gameplay in my opinion is better. People go online to have fun with other people and this style of map allows for constant contact with other players. These maps are most suited for small/medium CTF servers but can work with larger servers as well. In these styles people are not spread over great distances and therefore don’t spend three times the time walking as they do fighting, dying and having fun. However, with huge servers these maps get pushed to their limits. They create waves of unstoppable knights for one team and the other (these can be enjoyable but if one team happens to have more skill then the other things tend to go haywire) as well as the terrain being ripped and torn from constant bombs and rebuilding in the same places.

As a sidenote, very close proximity of large amounts of players puts immense strain on a server's CPU so factor that in when deciding whether to make a linear or a non-linear map. As I will constantly re-enforce, a fine balance is needed and is recognised though testing.

Non-linear gameplay is where things get interesting. Team play is divided between the number of tunnels allowed/created and the surface. You need to balance the number of players and routes to the enemy. Too many routes and teams will lose without even knowing, which is very frustrating, too little and the map becomes linear. On larger servers if you’re looking to make a non-linear map use two to three routes. For other sizes use your common sense and test it out.
    The approach to tunnels (as well as many other factors) is opinion based but generally most map makers avoid tunnels near the spawn as if the enemy gets even remotely close your team is basically fudged.

Tunnels should have a purpose, if you’re building one because “oh noes I has no tunnelz let me fix that” then rethink why you want it. They can lead to stone deposits, gold mines or even to another part of the map. Don’t overuse tunnels, with them less is more. They can even be made to look natural with stalactites and stalagmites which influence the overall beauty. Most importantly by testing in game, make your tunnel fun for both teams not so blue is laughing at its advantage and red is crying (or vice versa).
    Gold is not like any other material in KAG, and it depends on your gamemode and shops on how frequently you place it. For example, on my server there is a market shop in which you can trade gold for money and other resources like wood/stone. So for maps on my server, gold must be placed carefully. Too much and builders will be flooded with money with which they could buy stone/wood/bombs, too little and not enough wood and stone is available. For the most part large deposits of gold should only be in the middle of maps for teams to fight over. This ensures that the game progresses without catapult spamming and the creation of huge towers that encourage camping. Fine tuning ends with testing in game.
    The placement of trees is an art. The problem is that incorrect combinations of tree frequency and location causes archers to be overpowered. An example of this occurs on the infamous flat map with plentiful trees. I am sure you have all experienced the rage after the opposing team’s arrows lay waste to your entire “noobie team”. Too many trees also gives builders so much wood to build with, your base turns completely into doors. These obstacles can be very difficult to overcome but like other map problems, it should be tested over and over in game and improved. To start off with though, place a good supply of trees at the ends of the map and then scatter them in the middle. Be careful not to make slopes difficult to attack with lots of trees for archers to nest in and you should be good to go test.
    Variations in a map are always a good thing. A 'hump' is a small raised bit that is useful for defence; in the current build whoever holds the higher ground on a 'hump' is likely to win in combat. Archers can rain arrows downwards with impunity, Knights can move faster by slashing downwards, and if the hump is quite steep, can also get a bit extra damage by stomping. Builders are able to extend on the fortification that a hump already provides. However, they are easily abused. A very tall hump of land is very difficult to attack. A heavily fortified tower on top of a hump is even harder to attack, so pretty much anyone forced to attack will have major trouble. That being said, humps are a useful tool to create conflict and sieging, but too large a block and the game will stall, forcing both teams to camp and only fight in a no man's land.

Slopes, on the other hand, are a different story. A gently sloping land provides cover for all classes that a flat map does not have, and does not give as great an advantage to those holding the high ground. This makes for an interesting map, as the combat will shift back and forth as teams capture a slope, hold it briefly, and then lose it. A slope that goes for about 3 – 4 tiles down/up is a fairly well sloped map- our players are about two tiles tall, so someone shooting from a flat vantage point will not be able to hit them.

Finally, ditches are a nice little addition. Use them sparingly, as they're hard to attack for the opposing teams. These are a deep hole in the ground a few tiles wide, varying from two tiles wide (enough for a player to fall in if they aren't paying attention) to maybe five tiles wide. These are easily fortifiable with trap doors and spikes, creating a readymade trap for unaware players. You may have seen some maps with ditches that reach all the way to the bottom of the map; this is instant death for anyone who falls into it. It provides for some interesting gameplay if a team tunnels down and across the ditch at a lower level, though you can prevent this by lining the full-length ditch with bedrock. Either way, these three designs are a nice way to spice up your life map.
    Most servers use mirrored maps. A mirrored map is one where half the width is completed and then flipped for the other side. This allows for a level playing field. Neither blue nor red have a better starting position, so neither can complain. Non-mirrored maps are not for the faint hearted. They required a prodigious level of experience/skill to make. If completed successfully there are magnificent, if not they are referred to by many as “cancerous”. You must consider when fabricating a non-mirrored map team balance. If blue has less “x” give them more “y”. How to equate the importance of different features is the difficult part. E.g.

How many trees is this stone mine equal too?

What is the distance of a stone vein away from the blue base equal to in gold away from the red base?

How much stone should I give red for the hill I created on blue's side?

Even with testing this fine equilibrium is almost unattainable so I urge all newcomers to mirror their maps. If anyone thinks they are god tier, take the challenge. Lock yourself in a room and only after at least a good few hours emerge with your creation. Even then cross your fingers, because my god they are hard to make.
    In the grand scheme of things dirt backwall should be very sparsely used outside of tunnels or cave caverns. They provide readily available indestructible support which annoys players in the attempt to destroy towers. You may desire this property as ladder battles are quite interesting, but in my opinion a fair amount can slow game progression vastly.

On gold servers a lack of dirt backwall underground can also provide minimal lighting which can be used to combat tunnelling, but too much and the map starts to get a weird feeling. Almost like this giant dirt block is hovering in the heavens. I'm sure you're all loving having another variable for play testing...
    As I have already mentioned many, many, many times maps must be tested and optimised! When making a map everything has a reason. So when you play games on it, try out all the features. Push them to their respective extremes and then observe what works well and what needs improvement. Then make a second version and test it out again. This is where many new map makers go pear-shaped. They create a map and do not test it, expecting that when they post it on the forum, people will praise it. Although when they read the comments many experienced people criticise the maps faults, leading the original maker to become disheartened and give up. My point here is you must test your maps and fine-tune everything. If you succeed not only will you have the pride of creating a very fine piece of KAG but people will respect your ability and knowledge.

Geti's Guide, Including his Example (The How)
    1. First make the rough map shape/idea in bedrock (or half the map if you're mirroring)
    [​IMG]
    2. Then add in the vague dirt
    [​IMG]
    3. Add stone and define caves (spawn can be added at this point)
    [​IMG]
    4. Add dirty/weak stone and gold (tweaking during the process is encouraged)
    [​IMG]
    5. Add trees (read “Time for trees”)
    [​IMG]
    6. Mirror the map
    [​IMG]
    7. Change right spawn to red (not shown)
    The idea of the map shape was: a platform to defend from if your team must have a last stand, a platform for the main fort, an island for attackers to aid climbing, and a field for war. The cliff being "soft" also allows fairly simple builder invasion, but the bedrock prevents it from being too overpowered because they still have to go up.

This way of making maps is really quick once you get a little bit of practice in. The whole process took less than 8 minutes while commenting on it and taking screenshots for IRC. This leaves you a lot of time for iteration during testing – which should start as soon as possible.

It’s still quite a small map for CTF, you'll be able to bomb jump over the whole middle field, but it’s basically 1:1 descriptive of my process for making maps.

The starting shape is very, very, influential, as is the dirt shape over that.

I chose to basically outlaw tunnelling near base, just allow a lot of stone for any time mining there, and make it more open for mining etc in the middle.

To reiterate, the majority of time spent should be on play testing, which is more fun than trying to finalise the whole thing in an hour before trying it only to realise on the first test that your map silhouette sucks and the whole thing should be deleted.

Remember, maps aren't pixel art, they're maps. If you want to make it more ‘pixel-art’ and impress your friends you can dither the dirt and whatnot like so (took another 1 minute with some cheating), but it doesn’t add all that much to the in-game appearance:

[​IMG]

The Competition
    Edit: The comp has ended!!!
    Winner: Kouji
    Runner up: XYellowX
    The names of the map corresponds to the map maker.
    Don't worry if you missed it, I will be hosting another when scripting KAG is released!
    Kaizokuroof and me (We host lots of Australian Servers including "Australian CTF Server") are sponsoring this map making bananza. Do you accept this challenge?
    We want you to use the ideas you have learnt or think you have mastered to create some awesome maps. Post your entries in the competition thread (https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/lavalords-map-making-bonanza.11021/) and we will select the best for some cool-ass goodies.

I will evaluate them, consulting with respectable members of the community, in five categories out of five.
    * Size and linearity relative to the number of players and gamemode
    * Gold, tree and stone placement
    * Gradients
    * Team balance/ease of game progression
    * Level of refinement (achieve though testing)
    In my response post at the end of the competition, I will only display the total score out of twenty five as well as a critique for each map. I will be marking hard. Effort will be rewarded. Do not be dispirited if you receive an unexpected score. You learn more from a mistake then a success.
    Obviously the map needs to be created in light of reading this, so no old/existing maps.
    Any given person may submit only one map in this contest.
    Maps may be of any game format, but CTF is recommended.
    Maps may use premium tiles.
    Maps must be posted here, readily downloadable.
    Self-promotion and constructive criticism of other entries is acceptable
    No generated maps, however GM scripts are allowed
    Maps must be submitted in the competition thread (https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/lavalords-map-making-bonanza.11021/) no later then 11:59am 31/01/2013 AEST
    First prize, a choice of one of the below:
    Offer 1: x Premium KAG Code + 1 x Forum Custom Title + $30 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 2: $50 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 3: if you really hate steam $50 to spread anywhere but they must accept PayPal.

Runner up, a choice of one of the below:
    Offer 1: 1 x Premium KAG Code OR 1 x Forum Custom Title + $10 To spend on a steam game of your choice!
    Offer 2: $20 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 3: if you really hate steam $20 to spread anywhere but they must accept PayPal.

gl hf ~lavalord
    After reading please respond with a question/constructive criticism or ask for a new topic that I may have forgotten. I must stress, I will have over looked things by mistake, remind me and I will happily make a new section. Make sure all map submissions are not here but in the competition thread (https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/lavalords-map-making-bonanza.11021/).

PDF Version
    Edit: for your convenience here is a PDF of the entire guide:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?30xcs6t3l8125ka

2. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I approve of this fantastic map making contest and will be entering. Good luck to all the contestants!

3. lavalord

Just to be clear I/we will not be biased towards kaizokuroof just because he is funding half the prizes. :3

4. Panasonic

Panasonic Builder Stabber
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Also what do U mean by you can win a forum badge or something also it may be on forums already but program do u get to make it

5. lavalord

Basically a custom title means that instead of having, in your case, "Knight slayer", you can write anything there.

6. Panasonic

Panasonic Builder Stabber
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Do u know why the program is I couldn't find it

7. Demon_Jester

Demon_Jester Haxor

i have read, and i want but one thing before i start.
    Recommended map sizes. :3

Guitarman likes this.
  8. lavalord

There are plenty of guides on what program's to use, just check this section of the forum out.
    I forgot to add the table of sizes, I'll get it in there ASAP.

9. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

You can count me in! Trying to do this in gimp is a challenge though, any recommendations for programs on mac?
    If not gimp will be fine.

10. lavalord

Fwiw I always use gimp. Few tips:
    Use different brush sizes, almost never use a 1 block wide brush.
    Turn antialiablah off. Right off, you only want your palate colours, no half colours.
    When using your brush hold control to quickly switch to the eye dropper then release control to switch back to your brush.
    Uses the magic wand to select areas so you can paint around them without altering the area.
    </br>--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 9:00 AM ---</br>
    I added the size table ^_^

11. Guitarman

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to put them to good use.
    That emoticon will be used to ^_^

12. Demon_Jester

Demon_Jester Haxor

with the recommended sizes. I think u switched the width and height around.

13. Guitarman

It does look that way...

14. lavalord

oh yes i did LOL

15. Guitarman

Hey lavalord, I've got a question regarding Gimp. I wanted to mirror my map, so that each team has the same resources, but I cant figure out how to do it. Any ideas?

16. lavalord

Select your image of the half map.
    Copy it into a new Image
    Then go to Image>transform>flip horizontally
    Then just copy it back to the original image.

17. Guitarman

Sorry if I'm being a big noob, but I can't figure out step four. For me it just makes two layers. Should merge them together somehow?

18. lavalord

You have to make a bigger image so that they both can fit on each side

19. Guitarman

Do you think that I should make the map have the size that it is then manipulate it somehow?

20. lavalord

Just make a new image (256x128 or w/e) then post each side of the map on it.