1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Large Lag spikes

Discussion in 'General Help' started by GloriousToast, Oct 26, 2012.

1. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

Q&A
    When they happen? It happens generally when i go into combat.
    What modes?
    in Ctf, Custom modes (cat n mouse)
    does it affect all players or a few?
    What hardware they have?
    Settings that help or hinder? usually happens in matches with lots of players but does occur in sword fight mode. bots don't really affect it
    screen-12-10-26-16-03-25.png
    see that little green and empty space on the graph thats a lag spike. and it occured every time the last one ended

2. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

somebody who's having trouble with this should do some experimentation with various servers and the netgraph up. try to figure out what's causing it.

3. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Are they happening on every server or just on certain servers? I've been noticing bad lag spikes at Beo's for the past week..... It has to do with the server, not with you. The ping doesn't even spike, it just lagspikes.

4. frink

frink Shopkeep Stealer

The funhouse has been unusually laggy too. And my ping is pretty much always ~33ms

5. GloriousToast

my ping is usually 33-66. still get lag spikes. even at 0 ping , lag spikes.
    Edit: it been happening on action, clemo's fast server, power server, pretty much any busy ones
    edit2 those large spikes you see in the screen shots are the lag spikes
    also bombs usually cause it a lot

Attached Files:

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That's either bad connection or the server lagging, not the client. Ping is not indicative of quality of connection, but assuming you haven't changed ISPs and everyone gets the spike, its the server choking a little.
    Bombs seeming to cause it is interesting, they shouldn't be particularly computationally expensive, especially for a server.
    MM's doing some large optimisations to classic ATM that will make it out next week, so they may help with it. We've found that coins were actually very expensive because they didn't use optimised checks for figuring out which players to compare against, bombs may cause a large drop of coins, so that may be part of the issue.

GloriousToast likes this.
  7. GloriousToast

earlier today on another computer the lag spikes were happening so often that when one reaches the left side on the graph i will have another lag spike