1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grendell100, Feb 17, 2014.

?

Would you like to have KAG Classic on Steam as free-to-play game?

1. Yes.

69.9%
  2. No.

19.1%
  3. I don't care.

11.0%
  1. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Likes this

Even though it's possibly about me

miniu and Haste like this.
  2. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Alpaca you are classics mascot how could i hate on you.

Alpaca likes this.
  3. What do you mean? All the unnecessary comments up there gave me a headache. If the devs had resolved the problem for us we should really stop bragging and complaining about why or how classic is dying. Shitloads of inboxs and alert are just bombarding my forum page.

miniu likes this.
  4. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

Unsubscribe to this thread

Problem solved. You are causing your own inboxes, don't blame us

5. Chumind: if you buy into an alpha, you're not buying the alpha in its current form, you're buying into the development process. So if the devs decided to remake KAG with less bugs and spaghetti code, they're well entitled to. You're not buying into a finished game, the product you buy is not representative of the finished product.

Alpaca likes this.
  6. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

We've all heard this X number of times from Z number of people, and it still isn't really saying much of anything besides "you paid for it but we have no legal obligation to do anything with it" which of course everyone already knows, but it's kind of useless to keep saying it as if it has some sort of profound meaning.

Face it, the "alpha" and "beta" versions of this game were alpha and beta in name only. Usually an "alpha" is for testing. In this case, the alpha was scrapped entirely, which means that the "beta" is really more of a "new alpha", or at least it was when it was released. (An easy way to see this is to ask yourself if it makes sense that in the early days of the "beta", it was far buggier and more quickly changing than the so called "alpha" had been in over a year. In other words, the alpha/beta naming system usually implies more stable versions, not totally new and less stable ones)

When you rewrite something from scratch, keeping only the concepts but none of the code (including things like physics) I think it's a lot more accurate to call it a sequel, or "New KAG", or maybe just a new name entirely.

So, in that context, people are mad that the game they paid for was scrapped for a new sequel, not because of the alpha-beta release cycle, which this is not really an example of. (You can CALL things whatever you want, but in practice, these are two different games, not an alpha and a beta of the same game)

For clarity:
    Call me crazy, but I thought that the alpha-beta release cycle was about refining and testing the code that was already there. Sure, new stuff will be added, but if a TON of new stuff is added, or totally rewritten, usually it gets a new version number, i.e. Windows 3.1 vs Windows 95.

If the devs want to redefine common words and phrases to have new meaning, I can't stop them, but it is confusing, and I don't think you can fault anyone for being confused by it.

In other words, if, when I bought the game, I wanted to know what it meant to be "in alpha", and I looked up the commonly accepted definition of alpha beta release cycle, it would not describe for me the development process of KAG. So there would be no way to know when I was buying the "alpha" that it would be scrapped in favor of a "new alpha", because the developers are using their own definitions of alpha and beta that are not consistent with any I've ever seen.

I don't want to be mad at the developers, I think they've done a great job with the game(s), I just wish that they could be a little more conscientious of how their actions appear to those of us outside of the in-group of forum moderators and guards they've created that seem to enjoy treating the rest of us less like paying customers and more like simpletons because we don't intuitively understand their non-standard definitions of alpha and beta releases.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Vidar, Taiga, LetsplayCmansez and 3 others like this.
  7. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

Archers are spider man, Knights can jump mountains and builders are OP Moles... That isn't like classic at all :(

miniu likes this.
  8. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

The creators can't really make the game free-to-play, because it'd cost money to run the master server.

A solution would be to sell the game cheaply or have an advertised sale for an extended period of time.

9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

put up adds everywhere in the client problem solved

10. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

Do you know any other pc games with ads actually in-game?

11. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

I would just like the source, Period.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 2, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 2, 2014 ---
    The wonderful skybridge <3

12. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

you should probably read more of this conversation, geti stated there aint going to be a source handed out.

miniu likes this.
  13. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

no but it would solve the problem

14. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

Giving the source won't really help. If they wanna ditch Classic. I can host the classic master server.

15. Grendell100

Grendell100 Haxor

I wasn't much active last months. This thread grew so big in the meantime, I think I won't read all of the new messages, sorry.

I didn't want this to become a flame thread, but yea... it happened.

16. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

I'd yell at you for necro'ing, but your prof pic is a classic screenshot, so I can't.

Chumind and InsaneMTL like this.
  17. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

Dam!

18. Grendell100

Grendell100 Haxor

Explain to me whad does necro'ing mean ::):

And yea, my profile pic is kinda old. There was no KAG Beta back then. The screenshot is from pre-alpha I think. :thumbs_up:

19. Necroing is posting in an old thread that hasn't had any replies for quite some time. It's generally frowned upon in most forums, and is bannable in some (not here).