1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Gather : how to create a competitive scene

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpideY, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

The gather system was pretty popular in soldat for the competitive scene.

With irc, a bot and some servers, teams were just randomized and players just had to join the server to play a mini clan war.

I think we can try this system on kag.

How it works :

1. You have to join an irc channel //Edit by FBB: Current IRC channel is #kag.gather. Somone please tell me if that changes.
    2. You need to type !add to get in
    3. If the gather is filled, teams will be randomized
    4. The bot will send with a private message infos of server (ip + password)

MORE INFOS HERE

Some gather images :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AL3X_j_M, Guitarman, Kalikst and 15 others like this.
  2. Yes, for the love of God someone set this up.

I would be all over this shit, even seeing if the other moles would find a way to get a server up for it if it hits off.

I haven't looked into coding a bot at all but the logic isn't hard at all.

3. SpideY

We can imagine some quick ctf matchs with 8 players.

Something like that :

<SpideY> !add
    <KAGather>| Type : CTF(8) | Playing : 4on4 | Rayne - Jerloch - MM - Geti - Shad - Kouji - EJ - x
    <KAGather>| Type : CTF(8) | Playing : Rayne - Jerloch - MM - Geti - Shad - Kouji - EJ - SpideY
    <KAGather> The Gather is full and teams have been randomly generated :
    <KAGather> Blue Team : Jerloch - Geti - Kouji - SpideY
    <KAGather> Red Team : Rayne - MM - Shad - EJ

The bot will send a message with the ip of server + password. If its possible, it could be useful if a script allow to change the password between each match.

4. Maybe I'm going a little bit too far but I think it could even work as an in-game function. You press a button which sends a call to the bot on IRC, when the game is ready it sends you back the server address and within, let's say 10 seconds, you get automatically redirected to the game.

Nevertheless, I'm still a little bit skeptical because without some player-rating system we could get many uneven games and I think it shouldn't be a thing in something like this.

5. SpideY

We need someone who can create a kag gather script in a first time and i can assure you that with a team of moderators, gather is a good system. We can imagine, if its popular, a player rating system.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  6. diputs

diputs Shopkeep Stealer

I am not sure if there will be enough people who are active on the irc to create such games periodically.
    Here ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1188135/kagircbot/ircbot.pl ) is a rudimentary perl script for a gather bot. I am not sure how stable¹ it is, but it has some simple features. It can be tested at the moment in the #kag channel. Message "!stuffbot help" to get the list of commands. If there is enough interest it should be possible to implement more advanced features like the rating system.

¹: It looks like KAGdedi doesn't flush it's STDOUT often enough to make the direct monitoring possible. My script looks periodically in the latest log file. Let's hope it doesn't cause any problems.

SpideY, Ej and jerloch like this.
  7. I will do my best to get prototype of this bot ready next thing tomorrow.
    </br>--- merged: Nov 10, 2012 6:05 PM ---</br>
    IRC Bot prototype is ready, now working on software that would run these servers when needed with proper passwords. Right now it's needed because i can't "invoke" password change programmatically through Kag itself.

8. SpideY

It could be fucking nice dude.

9. Also Beo is willing to host 3 Gather servers at first, just to get things rolling.
    I also want to have an live updating ranking website, so the project will be quite huge and awesome at the same time.

illu and SpideY like this.
  10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I'll have to make sure to duo queue with a friend to raise my elo. :D :bird:

I3lue likes this.
  11. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

If anything, I would duo with a friend and lower my ranking so I can go steamrollering. :rollseyes:

Sounds like a pretty sweet idea though!

I3lue likes this.
  12. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I've been trying to get a thing like this working earlier, but I found it impossible without remote server access.

But we could get around that with the right seclevs we have right now. Just give everyone the right seclev access and hope there are no trolls around...

edit: I might just start a real basic bot with 2 servers that just keep the same password. And just hope no one will ruin my faith in humanity.

I3lue and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  13. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

It'd be nice if we could apply it to that KAG events site that is never used.

14. BlueLuigi

Someone just talk to the dude who does the SoldatGather bot to get the code from him so you don't have to rewrite it, makes things a lot easier.

We still don't even have a real 'competitive' by the numbers decision on KAG, it seems teams of 3-6 are preferred with a limit on builders and archers as both of those can easily create stalemates to lower enemy lives with a decent skillcap.

I suppose this is just something that we would need to get enough community members together to work on, but it's also something that seems quite difficult even in that respect to actually pull off which is part of why we never have, trying to get more than 3-4 of us together is just so hard, especially for an extended period of time.

But yeah anyway with a mix of AngelScript and an IRC bot (perhaps a PHP based one to easily run from a browser and mix with what people have done like Teemo with the remote loading of servers/etc), the only thing it would need is for them to mix decently into one application, which is not something I'm sure we'll be able to do off the bat with AngelScript.

15. Downburst

You can't use the soldat gatherbot as you don't have remote server access. The soldat gather bot changes passwords every time and has a substitute function + has server info etc. So it would be pretty weird if you host a bot that tries to access some soldat server that doesn't even exist.

Froghead48 likes this.
  16. BlueLuigi

I meant that the rest of it could be used, not the soldat server bits. You know, the IRC gathering part.

BlauweSmurf likes this.
  17. Downburst

Basic bot online at #kag.dating.​
    All premium players can restart maps by command.​

dnmr likes this.
  18. All right, I know that posting in this thread might make me look like a forum archeologist but... Is it already possible? I mean that remote server access? Or is it going to be available once scripting build is released? I've heard some things about so called tcp rcon but I'm not sure is it the right thing.

I'm asking and refreshing this thread because I'd really love to see KAG Gather going on. It worked extremely well when I was back then playing Soldat. And now, when Arthurian League is going on and we have finally established cool ruleset and maps we could make use of them outside the ArL, specifically on the gather and allow people to experience how is it like to play a match for ArL and thus maintain hype for it. Doesn't it sound neat? :rollseyes:

19. Downburst

1. someone should code a proper bot
    2. we need way more irc-active players.

20. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

Most people dont even see the irc, it needs more publicity and maybe a guide about how to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.