1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Competitive League: Reboot of a Reboot

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by ShamWow-SuperRag, Jul 20, 2015.

1. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Ok, so I talked to bunch of people on IRC including @ShamWow-SuperRag and we agreed that we would make the rules like this:
    • same build time(150secs)
    • same match time(25mins)
    • same maps
    • after the timer, if no one has capped yet, the round's win will be determined by which team has spent the most time past mid
    • no more 10min extension
    the way the feature works is like this:
    each player has a variable stored that keeps track of how long they were past mid
    at the end of the time it adds up every player's variable that is on one team and compares it to the other team

why did we chose to do this?
    we cant have indefinite match times. in the old rules, 1 round could potentially go on for hours. this is bad. for example: if a player in my clan had work at 6 and the clan war was at 4 there would be no way to be 100% sure that he will be able to be there for the entire clan war because it (like i said before) could go on for hours.

some clarifications:

the build time is part of the 25 mins

every match needs to have a winner, which is why we cant tie any rounds.

why does every round need a winner?
    there are only 2 rounds in 1 match. if 1 round has the possibility to tie, so can the other. thus, no rounds can tie

why only 2 rounds?
    so that if 2 clans are from different sides of the world, they can pick whatever server they want. for example: US vs AUS. round 1 = us server round 2= aus server. there is no need to try to find a server that has equal ping.

if you don't like these rules please post here and help us find a better solution
    if there is any kind of glitch in the mod, please let me know so that i can fix it asap
    if you have any other questions/comments please feel free

the mod will be attached to this post.
    thanks for reading.

edit: my us kcl server is already updated and I urgue the owner of the eu kcl server to update it as well. also, we need an aus kcl server host
    edit2: @Colargolator please update your server. also, @cameron1010 just put up an aus kcl server. thanks cam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Tern and _Cuffs_ like this.
  2. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

Why not just partially keep extensions. Is it possible to put a cap on extensions/overtimes or something? Maybe it would make more sense to have one or two overtimes and if a match has not concluded - then factor in the amount of time people spent past mid. If you factor in the time of two matches, and one or two overtimes per match (in a worst case scenario), at the most, clans spend at max, 90 minutes playing in a CW. Then if a match is not decided as mentioned before, the time past mid can be factored in calling a match. It just doesn't seem completely logical to decide a match on time past mid, particularly when a match is neck and neck and clans are spending a lot of time battling back in forth at mid. Having a match go on for hours and hours is one thing, having a match extended for 10-20 minutes more is another.

3. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

Thank you, @makmoud98! will add those to the rules, and I would like to put your gamemode file in the op but I have no idea how to do that. @Darknighte9, I see your point and recognize it as valid, but I won't add that to the current rules unless a lot of people "like" it (tapping the like button), or write a post saying they agree. I really like that your idea has a definite match limit, dark.

4. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

If its Bo2, and 1 side wins one round, and another wins the other round, it would be a draw, correct?

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  5. makmoud98

Ok, so i updated the mod, and i also want to clear some stuff up, but before i continue, here are the new features
    • 150 build time
    • 25min timer
    • after the 25min timer, if no one has capped yet, it will extends the match for 10 mins. if nothing has been capped yet(or there are an equal number of caps), then match will extends for another 10 mins.
    • after the second time extension if no one has won: then it will determine winner by ticks past mid
    • the mod will print to the chat the exact number of ticks red or blue won by
    • if you happen to cap all the flags before the end of the timer, it will tell you how many ticks it took to win the game
    • if you are at a lead in caps(for example you have 2 flags and they have 1) then by the end of the current time, the mod will also tell you how many ticks it took to win the game
    • if you are at a flag lead and the timer ends on the last extension, then it will tell you how many ticks it took to win the game
    • the ticks past mid renders on the bottom left-ish area (the same place where the tickets are in gather). so you always know if you are ahead of behind in ticks past mid
    BTW: in kag, 30ticks = 1second. i chose to count by ticks because it is the most exact measurement that we can use.

What determines a match win?
    you win both rounds: you win
    you lose both rounds: you lose
    you win one and lose one:
    ok here is where it gets a bit complicated.
    if you won by a flag cap lead, it always trumps the ticks past mid win.
    if you both won by ticks past mid: whichever team had the most ticks past mid, wins
    if you both won by flag leads: whoever won faster wins (whoever had the least ticks it took to win)
    if you happen to have by the same amount of ticks it took to win as the other team, then the ticks past mid will decide the match
    if you happen to have by the same amount of ticks past mid as the other team, then you need to redo the match. (note: the chance of this happening is very very very small. this is because every tick is 1/30th of second, so even if you really tried to get it just right you would fail, plus the chance of a coincidence is like seriously nearly impossible) this rule is here just in case because i want to make sure that i am covering every possible scenario that might occur.

I know what i just said confused the fuck out of you, but it makes sense to me. i will try my best to elaborate if someone has a question
    as long as you play the 2 rounds and you have the ticks past mid and the ticks it took to win the game for each round. then just ask me or someone who understands it, and we will tell you if it is a win or loss.

btw the mod is now on the api and it has noscrambleteams included. in your mods.cfg just add the line:
    gamemode_config = makmoud98:gamemode_config

i am no longer going to upload the file here because i am constantly making bug fixes and stuff so i dont want to have to post every time i make a fix. if you are still lazy, you can always just join the us kcl server(my server) where i always keep it up to date.

another note: i know that using the amount of time a team has been past mid isnt the best idea to determine a winner, but there is no other way i can think of to have a bo2 and have a definite winner each round

if you have any questions, once again, please fire away.
    also, my server currently has a small build time and match time so that i can test various scenarios and make sure that everything is working good. if any of you have time, please go and do the same. look for bugs

update: ive concluded that ive fixed all bugs in the mod after spending my morning and afternoon testing. although, im sure ive missed one so keep your eyes peeled. the us kcl server is updated and is ready for a clan war.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Snake19, Obione5256, Tern and 3 others like this.
  6. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

Just as brainstorming, you could use a team's kills or deaths to determine the winner. Or coins revived (or spent) by a team. Or there could be a panel of judges (elected by popular vote?) that decide who was winning. (or we could just vote on it, of course). Or we could just make draws result in rematches (although that could become tiresome quickly). Keep in mind these are just brainstorm ideas, and I haven't fully thought them out. Shoot them down for their flaws! :rekt:

makmoud98 likes this.
  7. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

I have an idea, maybe after 1 overtime, it could go to tickets, maybe 10 tickets or something.

I think the 'past mid' idea is kinda unfair for teams who like to hold their base and then counter rush. Kills are boring because it promotes kill whoring, coins is the same. A panel could and will be biased and rematches will just be annoying.

GreyHCK, PUNK123, heX_ and 4 others like this.
  8. technoteddy303

technoteddy303 Haxor

Someones always not gonna be happy with a rule.

9. makmoud98

ik that not everyone will be happy with the ticks past mid thing, but if you guys just keep giving suggestions, maybe we can do a vote and majority will rule. i dont want to do kills or deaths or tickets or coins because it could turn into a camp fest. i feel like the ticks past mid idea is nice because i feel that your position on the map most closely determines if you are 'winning' or 'losing' during a game. once again, im open to suggestions as well.

Obione5256 and technoteddy303 like this.
  10. technoteddy303

technoteddy303 Haxor

It would all depend of Clans and their strategies....but i also like that idea more then kills determining

PUNK123 likes this.
  11. Please don't have kills determine the victor. There won't be a single knight, just two towers at opposite ends of the map, while both teams are only archers and firing at the dirt.

12. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

Sudden death if the time runs out?

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  13. makmoud98

depends on what kind of sudden death

14. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

No respawns? Or touching a flag caps it?

technoteddy303 likes this.
  15. ShamWow-SuperRag

I still like my idea of a duel to settle ties, very chivalric.

Obione5256 likes this.
  16. Darknighte9

I like the idea of having a couple over times and then implementing mak's idea of counting ticks past mid. Simple and effective. Or use Blue Tigers idea of tickets. Either way both these ideas have been liked a few times on this thread.

PUNK123 and technoteddy303 like this.
  17. ShamWow-SuperRag

Mak's idea (i like) and Tiger's idea (i like) cant be both implemented. We need to decide. Btw, I'd much rather finish the current tourney and then implement a new idea.

18. Darknighte9

Well the current tourney is moving kind of slow so there really isn't any harm in doing so.

19. "this idea to help with finishing passive games is bad because it promotes not being passive"

tickets on the other hand, sounds like a great thing to counteract camping!

20. makmoud98

dark, if you read my post, you would see that i already did implement the overtimes before the match determining winner by ticks past mid

technoteddy303 and Darknighte9 like this.