1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Overworld Circlejerk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamburglar, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Zombies are just around the corner and it's likely we can expect a taste of the Overworld and Adventures mode within the year. If you are unaware of what it is, reference this:

http://kagdev.tumblr.com/post/11648236484/adventures-overworlds-and-the-full-version

Use this thread to share what you expect out of this game mode, what you'd like to see in it, what you plan on doing when it's implemented, and what you love or hate about it.
    Discuss.

Froghead48 likes this.
  2. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

I dream with kingdoms and heroes with power for change the game progression. Cities, with peasants and markets, and sometimes sieges for the supremacy! Economic system, people pay to the Crown, for control the kingdom (improve the defenses, army...). Places for explore and get magic items for improve your character.

synthesispandabot and Adinxs like this.
  3. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

This guy is going places. English may not be your first language but it is worded perfectly and I'm having a hard time finding anything you left out.

On the subject of peasants, I will say that I hope there is a very distinguishable class system. I want being a peasant to -feel- like being a peasant, and being a heroic knight to feel like being a heroic knight. The rarity of the latter will give some real perspective and make it something to truly be valued.

4. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

I want there to be Player and Dev run Roleplay servers where we act out a month long campaign. Like "The revolution". Where the Red team peasantry is Rebelling against the blue team Monarchists. Whoever hold most of the map at the end of the month wins. You pick a side in the beginning and play that side til the campaign is over.

Or A campaign called "Holding the Horde" which is a PVE game against zombies. The players have to hold as much of the map as they can until they get reinforcements which will allow them to push out against the zombies and potentially reclaim some of the land.

5. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I actually already plan on hosting my own Roleplay server, and you can expect some of them to last longer than a month. But yeah, occasional player and server wipes will be necessary to keep things fresh and give us an opportunity to try out different roleplays, etc.

6. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

In that case, I'll love your server. I know we had it out on another thread, but I think we came off the wrong foot. I just didn't think RPing could go that far. I really want to try it out! No games to really do that right now, though.

7. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

As long as you really get into it you will enjoy it. It's like immersing yourself into a fantasy world and completely acting out your life in it. It can get fun, dramatic, intense, and action packed. I was skeptical towards it as well when I first started, but it's like...being part of a really good book or movie in the end, and I'm really glad I got into it

8. Miggles

Miggles Shark Slayer

I want there to be dynamic gear. You don't just have 200 different sets, you have an INFINITE amount. Every piece of equipment should be different. Having the same sword as someone is possible, but not as likely as it would be in an MMO. Stats, appearance, and value should be all different. (Perhaps sans appearance, creating an infinite amount of alternate sprites for every item in the game could get a tad tedious)

Crafting and forging is something that would really be neat, I think.
    Do you think we could possibly, maybe, have a very simple house entry system? IE, jump in front of a house door and go inside?
    I don't see how a village of houses which all have to be next to each other on the X axis works.

PainGiver likes this.
  9. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

I don't know, that's a very good point I haven't even thought about yet...I'm sure if you were to build a house somewhere randomly, it would maybe take up like a 1x1 square of the Overworld and when someone moves their sprite over it they are taken to the standard KAG map where your house would be and they can control their character standardly. But it's different when you think of the houses and shops as part of a city. Like every house would have it own personal map you could enter by entering a doorway?

But yeah that's a great question, but it also depends on whether or not we can even build personal houses. I hope so. I wouldn't be much a peasant without a farm and a wooden shack to my name lol

10. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

As the dark lord/chef I will have many homes directly in-front of my tower, they will protect me with life and property.

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I'm obviously gonig to kill people without discretion. Babies,monkeys, dogs, all of you are fair game.

Alternatively I will find ways to break the game and gain infinite power and become the dark lord. Who knows.

12. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Now, most of this is me bragging, but your message struck a chord, BlueLuigi. If you're not up for Epic Zuboki Storytime, just skip to the bold part at the bottom.

Back in the day, circa 2003-07, I was a member of a rather simple and not-userfriendly, but fun text-based MUD called Betholia. It had a sprawling tile-based overworld that took forever to explore, mostly since you were limited to 1 action every 3 seconds and most everyone just memorised coordinates and teleported to where they felt like hunting. However, the usual hunting grounds were just big enough that you could randomly run into another player, or just search for them if they posted in chat, which led to...

Relevent Link.

Well, this. That's the title screen of the game, and yes, that is the same Zuboki. It was a point of pride for me to go about hunting all sorts of newbies, lowbies, or just normal players with poor reflexes. Any time someone posted coordinates publicly, I was there. If they said they were hunting in the mountains, I did a sweep for them. If they were looking for stat gains, I sold them Red Powder (White Powder was a great healing item. Red powder killed the player instantly when used). I pumped my attack and chance to hit as high as they could go, and had a ridiculous dodge chance. I essentially built my character for ganking.

Now this was a game with a normal community and a more powerful group of "premium" players, and I never bought premium (although I did kill a few of them, and eventually someone bought me premium "just to see the world burn", they said), so I did have to run from the White Knights who seeked to end my reign (and run I did! I died maybe 4 times, compared to my ~200 kills).

I was always finding new ways to kill. The developer patched several of my favorites after I found them, including
    • Teleporting someone to a 1-tile pvp-enabled dungeon cell from a "safe" nonPVP zone
    • Hell, creating "safe" zones in the first place! (The dev thought we'd all be a bit more cooperative.)
    • Locking a < level10 player in an attic with an Ice Dragon (after they enabled a "safe 1st ten levels" rule)
    • Selling someone poison, and picking up all of his stuff after he drank it and died (Newbie items became "soulbound" to prevent this)
    • Oh so many more. Through social engineering, relentlessness, and general craftiness, there were few players I hadn't gotten a kill on.
    I was actually friends with a lot of the higher-ups, who found my antics amusing, and I had a few copycats, who wanted to be like me. I even had a few newbies swear on revenge, which inspired them to play the game even more. In essence, me being a completely murderous ass actually helped the game.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you can pull it off, go for it, Blue. I can't, for I'm far nicer than I was in high school, but that doesn't stop me from feeling great, great pride in my days as an evil badass. In this game, however, if the overworld has any kind of permanancy, I'd much rather be recognized as Zuboki, the Magniloquent Mason of [HA].

13. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

Yeah, I could honestly see a small group of about 5 peasants being trouble for even Luigi if they've got their shit together. Numbers is where strength in this game is going to lie. It will be about who you know, not how much time you clock in on the game grinding endlessly by yourself.

So when you're alone and you see bandits nearby that have noticed you on the overworld map, you best believe you're going to haul ass lol (Not sure how the speed factors will be, but theoretically, on foot, 1 person should be able to outrun a small band of soldiers)

kevron11 and Birdman159 like this.
  14. Today I learned Zuboki is a dick yet a badass at the same time. Like REALLY a badasss. And if you ever do decide to switch to being a dirty little ganker again- I will find you, and I will kill you. With loads of mercenaries at my side. LOADS I SAY! But if you don't, good luck to you, traveler. :D

Anyway since everyone wants to be a fucking darklord- I was hoping to become sort of a baron of some sort. I would provide the safety from raiders and such within the walls of the MOLE city, which is protected by the MOLE warriors. archers, builders, generals, and occasionally mercenaries (Probably IRL friends of mine haha). It would cost a small price to live in my city, and you would have to join a militia in case of a large attack, but it would be well worth it. We would most likely be a relatively neutral nation, but we would occasionally rise up when needed/paid.

I like the idea of an RP server as well.

kevron11, BlueLuigi and masonmistel like this.
  15. Miggles

Miggles Shark Slayer

I actually think being a bandit would be awesome. Imagine hiding in a dark, creepy cave, coming up behind them, and SLICING their guts out of them.
    Now I really want a bandit class. Like the TF2 spy.

kevron11 likes this.
  16. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

All the MOLEs can be the politicians and city leaders in MOLE city. :p

I will reside quite a lot in MOLE city. I will be VERY careful about little gankers.

17. Now that everyone says they want to be gankers/dark overlords, I am quite scared of what is to come.

And it would be awesome for all of those Game of Thrones fans out there to make a city or too based on the cities of Westeros. I fucking love Game of Thrones.

kevron11 likes this.
  18. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I shall accept your challenge, and will see you dead.
    I will also wait til luigi has become the dark overlord, then I shall make my move and betray him, taking all the power for myself.

19. Jamburglar

Jamburglar Horde Gibber

They will try it once. Then realize they just can't with a permanent death system. Most of these people claiming to be badasses will end up a mere soldier in an army because they will come to find that that will be the most logical thing to do...otherwise they are just going to lose character after character after character and rage quit.

You fall in line, and work your way up to the top. You aren't just magically going to become an Overlord and it will not happen to everyone.

Also, random killing for no reason at all will be absolutely prohibited on my server. You must roleplay your attacking, and you must have an in character reason. Anyone "ganking" without a valid reason will be met with a kick and if it persists, a ban.

Now that's not to say if you and your group of bandits want to rob a peasant and he refuses to pay you aren't entitled to kill him, by all means go for it. But I will probably place a rule where if he does pay up, you must let him live.

The idea is to make it fun for everyone.

Birdman159 likes this.
  20. TheBlindSteve

TheBlindSteve Shipwright

I would like to see Kag's overworld take a much different turn then what is posted here so I will elaborate. I think that Kag should add more the the singleplayer aspect, what if you don't have internet at the moment after all? So I think the adventure/overworld mode should have a single player version and a multiplayer version one allowing different stuff then the other. In singleplayer I expect you to be a king or you want to rise as a king and you command armies to mine/harvest/gather gold/lumber/food and use it to advance yourself, kinda like an RTS. The mulltiplayer version while take away from that rpg part. Instead of having huge bases be built at a pace I expect that you start off instantly at war with a player elected king. That king will then Directgov workers to build and gather while he tells the warriors to defend them. They're will be monster and villages both of which you could conquer. But the main threat would be the other kingdom seeking to take over all your land. Of course it wouldn't be fun without some diplomacy right? So you could negotiate details as to a "truce" for some time or if you see that it is rather pointless you could invoke a challenge or battle on the king himself. Whoever wins this duel takes control of the other's land and wins of course. But instead of doing the honorable thing you could just flat out end the war with a peace treaty. But that's the cowards way.

kevron11 and Recs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.