1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Don't filter modded servers by default

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Aphelion, Nov 10, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

[​IMG]

Should be:

[​IMG]

By default.

It's a small thing, but most newbies won't touch those settings. They wont see certain servers.

My server has two custom maps, and for that reason it is 'Modded'. Unlisted for most people.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 10, 2013, Original Post Date: Nov 10, 2013 ---
    I removed my custom maps and it was filled with players... almost instantly. :huh?:

[​IMG]

So, please, dont filter modded servers by default.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    nkChehov, hierbo, class101 and 6 others like this.
  2. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

It's mostly to avoid confusion from new players, but if that setting could disappear after a week, or don't rule out servers that only have a different mapcycle, it would be better.

Right now, I feel that server owners that actually take time to customize and improve their servers are being punished rather then rewarded.

Rayne, nkChehov, hierbo and 7 others like this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Servers should be color coded, IMO. Green for official, gold for gold servers (Actually I think they all are gold servers lol) and maybe blue for modded servers.

Also the OP is right, 99% of modded servers are empty. And it's also a vicious cycle. I get on looking for modded servers and I'm usually like "Oh huh none of the good ones have players, better go where the players are", which leads directly to the server never having players.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Auburn, hierbo, Malitha and 3 others like this.
  4. Ramblurr

Ramblurr Catapult Fodder

I totally agree. Either don't filter out modded servers, or don't count servers with custom maps as modded.

Today on my server I spent a long time downloading and loading various community maps and came up with a sweet rotation for my TTH server, but it was all in vain because once I flipped the server back it was flagged as modded and staid empty.

My vanilla server will hit the user slot cap in 5-10 minutes after boot. I left the modded server on for over an hour and not a single soul joined.

Can't help but feel that custom map makers and admins of "modded" servers are wasting their time :|

Klokinator likes this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Quite honestly, I see the same 20 or so maps across all the servers, and now thanks to this thread it's become apparent why. If I can't enjoy awesome custom new maps I'm gonna be getting bored man, let's make it a little easier on those who wanna spice things up, eh? Eh?

6. Xanoxis-Rawr

Xanoxis-Rawr Arsonist

Yes, Im gonna help with Strefa Gier server with new maps, but nobody will play if that is on. Please, turn it off.

7. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Spoke Geti on IRC, they are working on a solution.

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Also I remember reading the OP and saying to myself "Why does a custom map make the server 'modded'?" Modded servers should be servers with actual altered game mechanics, not vanilla mechanics and new maps. That's dumb.

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I also noticed that the setting for keeping modded servers unfiltered from the rest also doesn't save. You have to keep changing it every time you launch it on steam.

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

'm not having that issue. Mine has been set to show both since I first changed it. Of course, none of the modded servers have players so I don't join them which starts the vicious cycle anew...

11. class101

class101 KAG Lover Donator

Btw I'm with this issue, couldn't even touch a single variable in the test.kaggen.cfg map file

Especially when actually the only working random maps generator is test.kaggen.cfg, you cannot even change its map width without being flagged modded.

I may use generator_ctf_castles.cfg but they have to be renamed to generator_ctf_castles.kaggen.cfg to work properly, but adding any other custom map flags the servers modded

There is a lack of development I think on this modded flag and and also random cfg maps

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I almost feel like the gameplay has become more stale since steam release, not because of the newbs, but because of how many goddamn servers there are. Back when it was 5 servers, 2 of which were modded, you'd be seeing people on the modded server way more. Now that people can just "press ez button" and make a new vanilla server with little work, the gap of vanilla servers to modded servers (Especially modded ones that don't suck) has widened drastically.

13. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

The other day I wanted to go on a server meant for testing small but interesting game changes, it was empty...
    So I got on thinking that maybe if I wait long enough the game will get exciting, that happens on vanilla all the time.
    Nope, only 6 people joined and 5 of those left within a minute of joining...I was on this server for 2 hours experimenting with random fort designs while waiting for people...(I at least learned a lot)

So yeah, really need to do something to get modded servers active...I am getting super bored of even playing the vanilla maps! Let alone vanilla game! Heck, this is why I am discouraged to make maps a lot of the time...

Mods: Rainbows