1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Current issues and dealing with them - POLL

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Do you like the proposed changes below?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2013.
  1. Yes!

77.9%
  2. Kind of! (post respose with reason)

15.6%
  3. No!

6.5%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We figured it would be a good idea to make a larger post about the issues with the game at the moment.

Please do know that we're not ignoring the complaints that we see ingame and out, and we understand that there are some reasonably dire issues with the beta at the moment. Understand that we get a fairly intense amount of feedback for one/two people (depending on how you're counting) to deal with and that some things get missed or responded to fairly bluntly.

MM and I have been having quite a lot of fun ingame recently but this is fueled partly by us understanding everything that's going on, and partly because holding the updates for a weeks was exhausting and it's nice to be playing larger games again.

Unfortunately, what we spent a few weeks on has had a very mixed reception, with some people flat out denouncing research or migrants, lots of people getting fairly insane lag, and the majority of players having at least one point of complete confusion or misunderstanding (either with research, the win condition, or why they died from a bomb arrow). There's also a reasonably terrifying amount of spam of the new ammos due to an issue with automatic ammo on spawn, and there's a kinda stupid "migrant hotel" design pattern emerging.

We're going to be addressing these issues asap, and are planning our approach to it at the moment. We dont have anything final to share at the moment, but I'll outline one possible line below. If we have more ideas or clarify some things we'll also let you know.

Possible line of attack: Please note - not "final" plan or anything like that!

"Centralise and simplify".
    • Central "hall" building providing spawn, class change, and research.
    • Several halls around the map to claim if empty, fortify once yours, and capture if they've been taken by slimy red team. One hall on map automatically claimed per team.
    • Team loses if it has no halls.
    • No spawn in hall while it's being captured (-> less spawnrape)
    • Factories likely require gold to set up.
    • Migrants go to hall once captured, which has a cap of N (some number to balance) migrants -> can power some number of factories.
    • dorm -> quarters, as in classic
    We feel that this would neatly solve the majority of the issues:
    • Reduce dorm spam
    • Reduce factory spam
    • Provide a clear goal for those finding the current win condition very fuzzy.
    • Give map makers control over where teams start out and where they can build large bases
    • Provide a dynamic equilibrium situation with control of an area changing from one team to another quickly once a hall was captured.
    • Provide a respawn system more familiar to those from classic.
    • Reduce the number of buildings required to be built overall
    • Centralise a team's resources.
    • Can be done relatively quickly development wise - only requires a new building, a few pixels changed on maps, and tweaks to how buildings interact with the rules code.
    The main issue that is not explicitly addressed is stalemates, but we have some more content (hint: involves air) to add before we properly address stalemates.

Feel free to provide feedback or suggestions - ideally nothing too large/drastic, as this approach was chosen in part because it can be accomplished by say, next week, instead of yet another month down the line :)

Max/Geti

BlueLuigi, Asu, delankski and 7 others like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

(stub post)

Apronymous and MCrypa like this.
  3. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I see no reason as to vote a no. Oh now there's an actual post...

Digger101 likes this.
  4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Halls sound interesting. So there would be for sure a way for mapmakers to designate which ones the teams start with?

5. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

So with the halls, the gameplay would evolve into kind of a "control point" game? I actually prefer this over dorm spam. Also, like Geti said, it gives more control to the mapmakers over the flow of the game, which I think they will appreciate.

6. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

Similar to the capture the points?

7. Maybe this just sounds stupid and I know you and MM already said you don't want to have a tutorial but maybe having a good tutorial in the sandbox would help lessen the misunderstandings during a server match. Just a thought

8. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Why not make a competition?
    The one who makes the best tutorial map wins, with points given for usefulness instead of aestethics?
    I bet that if you give them something, the community is more than willing to help out.

oh, and can the solo trader bug be fixed soon, or do you even know what causes it?
    I liked the solo mode :(

9. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

I think some of the points are very good and would improve the situation but I am not a fan of the main mode being centred around halls and capturing them.

makmoud98 likes this.
  10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I hope to see the return of multiple modes, and this WAR setup seems more viable than the previous one.

delankski and VanHuek like this.
  11. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

But it seems a new mode entirely and I'm still a fan of CTF although I think the solution above seems the best.

12. xChapx

xChapx Ballista Bolt Thrower

I think that a late game option to build halls would be cool, or the option to build houses with a reduced amount of migrants capacity.

13. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Capturing control points on the map is a neat idea, also teams should be awarded resources in form of chest with goodies for capping the points and also some research upgrade points, overall I think scrolls should be there to buy technology and research upgrade points to speed up the research or to buy upgrades so it makes factories more precious, it would make more sense for long games, upgrades will modify properties of items players vote on, so apart from getting points it will be up to the team to spend them on by voting.
    I think this system will allow you to build up your bases early in game to prepare for late game, like in Age of Empires where your focus is on getting resources and basic military to scout the areas at first, so early engagement in battles would be possible just not as effective then you progress to further ages which unlock more tech and upgrades but instead you use these points.

This way players will feel the pressure to fight for control points and hold them so they can get upgrade points for research, but the ultimate goal would be to destroy another team, difference however one team will be far more handicapped due to lack of technology which will allow one team to attack with more efficiency but still enough so you can still defend yourself and recover with good teamwork.

Also regarding current changes, I'm not a fan of migrants because it's like a fourth resource in the game, we have wood, stone and gold and this game is called King Arthur's Gold - it's about gold! it's not King Arthur's Migrants, main focus should be around gold, ways to obtain it, trader should exchange materials and items for gold in case there is not enough of it on the map, also random ruins with chests of gold or bags of it, I simply think it should focus on gold instead of making some need of a workforce, it seems to only complicate things further.

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Wouldn't this be more suited to CTF or Greed mode?

xChapx likes this.
  15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

it doesn't really matter, it's all about gold, war effort needs money/gold to thrive on.

Trees - I don't really like the idea how trees drop sapling seeds, I'm sure something like this would be fine in single player mode but nursery was fine, but perhaps another way to buy seeds from trader if they are depleted, because trees tend to disappear right now when nobody is careful.

Trader - I think trader's tent should be movable, walk up to it, pack it, move the trader into the castle or whatever.

Blocks/Building - It's very easy to destroy something then it's to build, support system is a bit wonky it tends to not let you place blocks even when everything seems to be perfectly right, famous ladder glitch that collapses your walls, variation of block sizes and reinforced blocks what happened to that? Right now it's like building tower or walls out of cardboard then wind blows and it goes down.

Upgrading wood blocks to stone takes the same amount of resources as just placing stone ones, it does not halve the cost, 10 stone each single time, for comparison I took the liberty to build this massive tower then it was easily destroyed and building it took me good 20-30 mins, no wonder everyone prefers to build at the edge of hills with little to no effort.

When removing block you hover mouse over block to remove but instead it starts to remove different one.
    When placing block you hover mouse over empty block space but instead it places block somewhere else.

Ladders - they are still annoying to walk on, revert to old 1x1 ladder if possible, when block is placed over the ladder you have to remove the ladder first in order to remove the block.

Drill - Mining takes a lot of time and getting drill is not affordable for mining because it overheats really quick, I understand it was made this way because it was overpowered, I can't even kill a knight or archer with it in combat unless he just stands there doing nothing, using the drill in siege situation is rarely optional, one slash destroys the drill and you can't keep it in inventory, the only moment when drill is still op is when you stand in water, it will not overheat.

KEGS - KEGs should only be able to destroy wood while being massively destructive to it and setting wood on fire as a side effect they should not be as effective against stone buildings, they might damage blocks a bit but not totally remove them, same as dirt. As of update 781 kegs are very powerful and it makes it even as better tunnelling tool than drill, since when do explosions cut everything in half, bomberman explosions are a no, bomberman had explosions like this because the game was top down and mechanic required that to work.

Catapults - I think the primary fire that fires pebbles should be good against ships and infantry because of the spread, again it should be useless against stone and wood structures unless you load in the boulder, nobody is even using boulders for anything in every game I've played, to fix this issue catapult should come with preloaded boulder and smaller catapult rocks in it's inventory which let's you switch ammo just as archer or knight can switch items, variety of ammo that requires separate research to allow catapult to take part in siege combat, also a marker drawing trajectory in front of catapult because most people will get angry when wasting shots.

Ballista - Since the very beginning of beta it's very overpowered, even though you can fire bolts at some wall and climb them, I don't see people doing that, now current ballista bolt with bomb attached to it - what were you guys thinking? It's incredibly destructive, it's also easy to grief with it, previous default ballista was good except the amount of penetration it had, bolts are really massive and need to be smaller, it's like being hit with a train cart.

Mines - there is no way to defuse them except for running at them as a knight with shield in front, defusing them should let you use that mine right after so you can arm it and then hide it, since nursery was removed as of now you can hide them very temporarily in bushes, but you can't replant them back if you want to hide mines there again.

I'll add if something more comes up to my head, all these small things affect the balance but glitches are far worse and having bad performance with random second long freezes from time to time makes it harder to criticize anything regarding combat.

16. driecoolguy36

driecoolguy36 Shopkeep Stealer

I really dont like the central spawnpoint idea. Sure it reduces lag, but it's boring. I agree with most of the points lost makes in his second point, but i like the migrants and the fac system. After some thinking, i think this beta is broken just because people don't understand how to play it yet. This brought many new people to the beta who have no idea what they are doing, so naturally it's going to be frustrating for the beta veterans. Just give it some time before doing anything too radical. I think maybe removing some animations from the facs and the dorms should help A LOT with the lag, but otherwise, let's just see how this plays out.

And the multiple migrant capacity dorm idea was genius. I think you guys should DEFINITELY add that. Fixes lag and dumb looking bases. idea by mozilla in thread 781.

Also, please no more bomb arrows. PLEASE.

17. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I will wait till next build and then I will say my opinion.
    So far beta is a mess. devs need to stop shoving in tones of not tested not refined mechanics and objects in to the game get something to a well refined balanced and enjoyable for players state and only then add another mechanic or object.

People were just getting used to the beta before this update and next day BOOM all changes.
    Add stuff slowly so people take their time to experiment with it and find the best way to use it.
    It will help both for new players and for people who are trying to find bugs.
    I t is easier to know where to find bugs than just search in this pile of stuff.

That's my opinion.

magnum357 and LostPix like this.
  18. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

That can to be a new gamemode

19. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i think we could go a "age of empires" way about this.
    somewhat similar to how the games can we played om
    ie upgradeable townhalls (up to 5, additional hearts and migrants stored), dorms (up to 10, additional migrants store).
    being able to build townhalls only on a settlement.l

20. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

The game is already on the edge of turning in to a minecraft.
    Don't get me wrong I am trying to say that is stuff like that(I ment upgrading town halls and stuff)(I like single not level base upgrading system town hall)
    Will turn people into slaws who will need to DIG and dig and dig for the recourses to outstand the enemies technological progress.
    It will make start of the match even longer.
    and when people get pissed of non stop digging they will just do what? RUSH and rush is bad.
    Why they will rush?
    To kill all enemies before they will technologically outstand them.
    As simple as that.