1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 806 - Tweaks, Fixes, Mad Ballistas - POLL

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Do you like this build?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2013.
  1. Yes!

66.7%
  2. No!

17.8%
  3. Kind of! (post response with reason)

15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is largely a fix build, so nothing too huge has been added - it mostly addressed feedback received and finishing up a few things we wanted to do for last build but couldn't.
    Major points:
    Red square
    The fabled red square of yore is back to give some much needed breathing time at the start of matches. We know this will dampen the spirit of a few rushers, but we think most will agree that the game ending in the first 30 seconds due to a stray knight capturing the first hall is pretty annoying.​
    Support is back
    Hooray!​
    Michal mentioned some changes to it so I'm not really sure what the skybridging situation will be, I'm sure it'll be better than wood tiles all the way across the sky though.​
    We're looking into a system based on the thickness of the building as well, but it didn't get finished for tonight.​
    Ballista changes
    Ballista bolts do less damage now. Their collision with terrain is kinda janky, that will be fixed soon.​
    Explosive bolts are more like a shaped charge than a mini keg.​
    We're thinking about making them stationary when firing, so they'd either be a packed mobile spawnpoint or an unpacked spawn and artillery unit​
    Spikes changes
    Spikes will only retract if they're built on stone blocks. They're also more expensive. This should make them more of an asset and less of something you want to FILL THE FIELDS with, as well as much more expensive to maintain away from the base.​
    Tech tree overhaul
    Two separate branches with a few choices for simpler voting and display and less unpredictable meta​
    Random weighting upon match start so the same items dont happen every single game - voting overrides this weighting so you still have control over what you research.​
    Minimap Tweaks
    Dead guys dont show up on the minimap.​
    Out of screen halls have some special behaviour so you can see if its under raid.​
    Out of screen unimportant entities dont stick to the edge of the minimap.​
    Ballistae and War boats have a little flag icon on minimap. We might make specific icons for all vehicles in the future, for now just knowing where spawns are is important.​
    Scripting API for the minimap stuff has got some more options now​
    War boat tweaks
    The inside of the warboat has a ladder now so you can get over the damn thing with 30 tries.​
    Pointing animations and taunts
    The pointing animations when performing emotes are back, with a slight twist​
    The builder has flex taunts instead of points, so you can flex while you flex (or 2525).​
    Archer has a pointing anim with a bit of camp flair. I think this will annoy some people, but I also think those people take themselves too seriously.​
    Knight point anims are largely unchanged so you can still spin your sword right round baby right round.​
    Misc Fixes and Tweaks
    The game should have fewer script crashes, and a few minor gameplay things have happened.​
    Something to note is a bomb in your pocket will now (rightly) kill you instead of helping you reach new heights. Be advised.​
    That's it for now, we'll be trying to get another patch out by the end of the week fixing any issues that crop up over the next few days, we're really looking to stabilise the game at the moment so that the beta can go properly public, so give your earnest feedback on what you think needs to happen, or if you think it's on track, tell us so!
    Max/Geti

2. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Geti forgot to mention the best feature of all, that is - water doesn't flow on backwalls and possible to remove water with backwalls.
    I know it sounds terrible but play with it and see how much control over water you get with this simple addition (plus it fixes flooded halls being practically useless).

3. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Hmm. Interesting time to analyse the update for a few days.

4. Royal_Jester

Royal_Jester Shopkeep Stealer

Someone has read my thoughts before creating this build :p

5. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Yus at last for me this is the best one. :3
    No more spammmy spikes.

Deuce88 likes this.
  6. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

iloveyousomuchyoudontevenknowhowmuchiloveyou

JacKD and Apronymous like this.
  7. TreeMeister

TreeMeister Catapult Fodder

Yay! I loved the pointing back in classic, and now we can all point and laugh at the guy who gets killed by a tree. I'm holding my judgement for the gameplay changes until I've tried out the build.

edit: the builder flexing is hilarious!

8. NKking

Ok time for 1,2,3,4... thingy.

New update is very good. I love the building time and how the research tree layout.

Now Bad things

1) Skybrides still exist.
    2) Sometimes spikes react on ally player ,but not hurt them.
    3) Player can't research drill with a scroll.
    4) walls which are blocking water is a REALY bad idea. (maybe only walls which are connected to the first spawn should protect spawn from water).
    [​IMG]

People will start doing this again.
    [​IMG]

5) Sprite bug. At the ammo supply factory 2 thins are being research at the same time (Not literally being researched but sprite shows that they do).
    [​IMG]

6) Red screen by the end of the match.
    [​IMG]

7) Ballista destroys bedrock. (NOTHING should be able to destroy bedrock).
    8) Return realistic Kegs.
    9) Bombs destroy stone and wood block next to them instantly.
    10) If migrant gets killed inside of a factory and his body stays in the factory undestroyed the new migrant cant take his place.
    I will add more, when I will find more.

9. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I swear we really need to beg for old kegs now, these explosions are just ridiculous.

greyfox, killatron46 and Apronymous like this.
  10. m0zzila

m0zzila Tree Planter

I totally agree with these points! Especially with the 4th.
    [Edit:] I literally hate this update.

11. NKking

I was doing that for the past 4 build releases.
    The main thing is that They are to op in term of digging tunnels. and they are absolutely useless against stone doors and stone in general.

Nothing happened.

12. eamono

eamono Arsonist

[​IMG]

Monsteri, LostPix and Apronymous like this.
  13. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Past 4 builds nobody even uses drill, primarily because mostly how inconvenient it is to research it in the first place, at least now you don't need factory to produce it, just the workbench with 100 stone as the cost, I don't get why not split it 50s and 50w.

14. NKking

Not drills. Kegs. And now you need to research them.

15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

You misunderstood, I simply added to your post.

I know that kegs are what people use now but drill seems simply so much better of an option and it was meant for digging, especially when you carry it now it fits 1x1 slot unlike keg that is 4x4, so you can protect yourself with the shield and take out the drill to destroy doors or walls, not to mention you can carry a lot of extra stuff with you.

16. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

Coincidence? I think not.

[​IMG]

You have some explaining to do.

17. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

it looks more like this picture to me.

[​IMG]

18. NKking

Ok stop spam. This thread is not for that.
    And yes drills should dig only rocks, gold and dirt .

19. paradoxicalenigma

paradoxicalenigma Arsonist

I'm loving the update thus far, being able to block water with back wall provides cool manipulation of the landscape. For example flood the side of the enemy team to reach their shore, but at the same time, get rid of the water on your side so that they cant easily swim across to your side.

Also, sky-bridges only kinda exist, but in a way that makes sense with support being needed. It is not possible to make a sky-bridge without any supports from one side of the map to the other. I love this concept. We are able to make longer bridges, and increase vertical combat but still maintain some restrictions. People are inclined to build more since they can make bigger and badder stuff now.
    The sky-bridges being built now make more sense than having a single 1x1 tile going across.

Spikes retracting only on stone is awesome.

Red wall from classic is also awesome. (Except at the end of the match it force pushes you across the map if your in it)

Thanks for the update, these little changes made a big impact on game play and in a positive way.

20. NKking

I want to show you a few pictures it is something like a timeline of a match which show almost every bad aspect of the update.

1) You can see how strong red team was in terms of building. Also you can see a skybridge which is max length. Sky bridge of that length is enough to get from one hall to another.( from ally base to the enemy base). All that was done during the building faze.
    [​IMG]

2) When red team started winning, one blue builder decides to spam spikes on the ground. Which shows that new update spike balancing system DONE NOTHING. ( God dammit devs return old spikes or make new spikes SO expensive so people will just forget about the thought of spamming them.)
    [​IMG]

3) That is a really important screen shot. It shows how big of a disbalance Between teams spikes can cerate. And Red team survived only because of good builders.

First this.
    [​IMG]

Then this.
    [​IMG]

And this.
    [​IMG]

Because red team could not get past this god damm spike field they started to make skybriges.
    [​IMG]

4) Now we can see how some bugs make it difficult to kill people.
    Just look how many arrows are in these doors. ( some of them already despawned)
    [​IMG]

Towers like That are annoying, because you cant burn them.
    [​IMG]

This match never ended. Server crashed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.