1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 458

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Shadlington, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Build 458 is out and the main new feature being introduced is security levels, also known as seclevs.

The full details of what seclevs are and how you should use them are included on the wiki, here.

The gist of it is that server owners now have complete control over who can do what on their servers.
    No more pesky logging into rcon is required, either. You can easily setup a seclev for your admins that will immediately give them access to their admin powers when they join your server, as well as a seclev with even more powers just for yourself. You can even setup a VIP seclev for your trusted non-admin users to give them slightly more access than other users (for example, not allowing users to mark players as griefers until you trust them).

You can find example files showing you how to configure seclevs in KAG/Base/Security. They all have the extension .example - if you make copies of these files and remove the .example part you will be left with a decent start point for configuring your own seclevs.

We are officially phasing out guards (i.e. we are no longer recruiting them), so it is strongly encouraged that server owners build up a list of trusted admins that they assign access to with seclevs.
    However, guards still exist and you will be able to assign them exactly what admin powers you feel comfortable with them having, separately to your other admins (or, for example, take away a single guard's admin powers).

There have also been changes to the way in which blacklists/whitelists are stored.
    securitysetup.cfg has now been moved to KAG/Base/Security/securitysetup.cfg and inside this file you define the file paths to your whitelist/blacklist. If you copy the contents of your old securitysetup.cfg (in KAG/Base/Scripts) to KAG/Base/Security/blacklist.cfg (or whatever file you define in securitysetup.cfg) then your bans will be preserved. If you were using a whitelist, copy to whitelist.cfg instead. In both cases, you shouldn't need to worry about adjusting the formatting, that should all be sorted out the next time you start the server.

Additionally, the way you login to rcon has changed - there is now a specific command for it. If you want to login, use /rcon /login [password]. You can also logout now using /rcon /logout.

There has also been a change to the way we check if you have accepted the terms or not, so don't be surprised if you are required to accept them again.

There are also a few other fixes included.
    Changelog:

- Added security levels (see blog/wiki)
    - Moved location of securitysetup.cfg to Base/Security
    - Moved white/blacklists to their own files (paths defined in securitysetup.cfg)
    - Changed logging into rcon to use /rcon /login [password]
    - Added /rcon /logout to logout of rcon
    - Modified /reloadsecurity to reload seclevs in addition to black/whitelists
    - Added /printseclevs for printing seclevs
    - fixed respawn timer behind chat window (#152)
    - potentially fixed memory leak with water

Antman, Riletyface, FG and 9 others like this.
  2. We all gonna love it. Specially Security levels and Rcon.

3. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

[​IMG]
    I do not take any credit whatsoever for this image. Not sure who made it.

4. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

I hope I get to keep my guard hat!

GloriousToast, Contrary and Ghozt like this.
  5. Raron

Raron KAG Guard Tester

My power...fadding...

NOOOO!!!!

How am i supposed to be powercorrupted now :I

6. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

This is a great step towards designing the game around a large player base. Now anyone can easily make their own list of "Trusted Players".

Does this mean that you are also going to phase out global moderation of players who are not cheating or hacking? By this, I mean not giving out account master bans for griefing or moral issues (like racism)?

7. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

great question

We have considered the idea of a crowdsourced player rating system. The details are fuzzy, but basically people will be given tokens to use to upvote or downvote other players (not based on how they play, but if someone is griefing/being abusive versus being a very friendly online player). downvotes to a certain level may flag an account for review or temporary suspension (or maybe just global muting)

Also say that someone has been upvoted a lot - they may be able to take some of their positive points and "spend" them to vote other people up/down more frequently than they receive tokens from the system.

Or something like everyone can upvote others at no cost (but no more than once every week or something), and you can downvote someone once per week but it costs you one of your upvotes (so that people don't just spam people they dislike with negative votes, there's a 'cost' associated with it).

I'm also considering something like a crowdsourced server rating system. Something like being able to sort the server browser list by "rating", where rating is determined by how many people have a certain server favorited. I'd love to know peoples' thoughts on these ideas, but please do not post here. Rather, go start a thread in the community dev forum (but check if someone else created one first). <--- //Now remember children: pay heed to the nice man or I will have to be particularly un-nice... ~fbb

These are very rough ideas, so community feedback and supplementary ideas are welcome

8. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

There is only one admin_color?
    If I want to put two kinds of admins, they will have the same color otherwise one of them will be uncolored?

9. Shadlington

Its not meant as a way of distinguishing different seclevs, its meant as a way of saying 'this guy is an admin'.
    So yes, one colour, for all kinds of admins.

If we added more colours then its usage would be inconsistent - I want people to be able to go on a server and still understand that red = admin.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester

Makes sense.
    You still plan to add a star or something that shows that a player is a VIP?
    swag_star

EDIT: Also, does admin_color overcome other colors?
    If I set devs and guards with admin_color, they will all be red/orange O.o?

11. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Holy Cow its here thanks Shad!!!!
    You can also have a person set to say a VIP and make them not red.

soulrealm likes this.
  12. Shadlington

Yeah I still wanna add a star, gotta see if I (and Geti) can make it look nice first.
    Also, admin_color overrides premium colour, but not guard or kag staff.

13. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

3 words: THANK YOU SHAD!

14. I really think you guys should fix the rcon crash problem before making more security updates. :>:(:

15. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

rcon crashing isn't my problem, it's that we STILL don't have a way to log out of rcon, at least not if we're automatically logged in.

Rambo likes this.
  16. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Well, this will certainly be godsend to our beloved server owners. It'll also help everyone else out, the token plan seems interesting, but I have to admit I'm skeptical. What could stop players from abusing the tokens? Unfairly down-voting people for being stupid or bad or if they disagree with their building style. Example: Player A builds a rave tower, Player B dislikes rave towers. Player B down-votes Player A. I can also see two griefers massing their up votes making it hard to down vote one of them. I know there's a "cost", and the current idea is very fuzzy, but it still won't stop the occasional asshole from unfairly voting someone down, or giving a fellow asshole many points over a month or two. It would be rare, but it would certainly happen. Don't get me wrong though, all of this is going in just the right direction for fair server ownership.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

? Yes you do, /rcon /logout - assuming you dont fall into an admin seclev you wont be stuck in rcon anymore unless there's a bug in the code.

Unless the majority of players upvote assholes then the cost literally will stop assholes upvoting other assholes over a month. Limiting a user to voting on another user once per day means that someone ragequitting can only cause one token of harm to everyone they've decided they hate unless they sit around being vengeful - which would constitute voting abuse and more than likely result in a permban.

DrZaloski and Riletyface like this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Excellent work, Shad!

Seclevs & crowdsourcing--*sniff*--my little KAG is growing up... I'm so proud! :QQ:

Also, I foresee giving owners tools to easily manage their servers having the wonderful side effect of owners actually being aware that guards exist and hopefully nipping many a lengthy explanation in the bud. :B):

19. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I can't wait to test this out. It will be some much fun

20. vladislavbyk

vladislavbyk Catapult Fodder

I'm have a kick\ban immunity, but server can kick me. Why?

Code:
    name = Super Admin
    users = vladislavbyk;
    roles = rcon;
    commands = ALL;
    features = admin_color; always_change_team; ban_immunity; editor; join_full; kick_immunity; map_vote; mark_any_team; mark_player; name_mouseover; pingkick_immunity; silent_rcon; skip_votewait; spectator; view_collapses; view_console; view_rcon;