1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A gift to you - The KAG Instruction Booklet

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by SirSalami, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowFire2010

ShadowFire2010 Haxor

Im so sorry neat i did not see the option next time I willl edit :)

edit: findude stop trying to cause trouble it was a reply to neat so please dont hate

2. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle KAG Guard Tester

Was that a little Easter egg I found?

I don't like my eggs tasting of Zombie.

"Blarhgh!"

Piano and IloveElectro like this.
  3. 1eleven

1eleven Shipwright

pretty awesome

4. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

I must say this is an absolutely excellent piece of work.

Are you planning to keep it updated as the KAG developement continues, if theres a point you no longer want to maintain it would you be ok handing the work on to someone else for them to keep this alive? Its a brilliant addition to KAGs community and I'd be shocked if the developers didn't make it a De-Facto official manual.

I will say though the text could use some work perhaps, I'm having a little trouble reading it in 1440x900.

5. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Wow, this is very well done. I salute you SirSalami!

6. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

I tip my hat to you good sir, and a job well done. :)

7. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

The current test build already includes this manual.

As always, my thoughts and corrections:
    • navigation on the top right: I would replace "Beginning" with "Front Page" and "End" with "Back Page".
    • page I: Remove the first "CONTROLS", it's redundant.
    • page III: Keep in mind that the menus will change heavily in the next build (check out the latest test build).
    • page IV:
      - Replace "bulding" with "building".
      - Make sure all of the knights and archer images are exactly on the black line. Might sound a bit picky but otherwise it looks like some of them are floating.
    • page V: Replace "Fortress" with "Tent".
    • page XIII:
      - Replace "three-fold" with "threefold".
      - Replace "hard-work" with "hard work".
    • page XXIII: Maybe better use the terminology Geti mentioned here. People should be aware that the "Premium"-version will be the full version of the game not just a minor addition with some extra goodies.
    • On pages V to VI and XIX to XXII you use another font to describe the small images. I'm not sure which font is better but try to use one font for every "explanation purpose" (for example compare the font on page XIV with the one on page XXII.) Makes it look more consistent.
    @SirSalami: Since everyone is going to have a local copy of the manual in future do you still plan to finish the hosted version with the editing possibility? That would make it much easier to correct small typos and such.

Acavado, Wonkyth and SirSalami like this.
  8. massivebacon

massivebacon Shopkeep Stealer

This is great! There should be some way to get this to new players without them having to see the forums to see it.

9. Mathewson

Mathewson Shopkeep Stealer

which programs where used for this? how do you want to integrated a submit post (translations) for flash?
    I'm very interested in this.

10. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

At this point, I know KAG pretty well. Yet, I keep going back to the manual. Reading it with the lovely menu music really brings a feeling of epicness.
    This is an excellent job and a great contribution to KAG : )

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Update time! The online manual has been updated to reflect the changes coming in build 161. The in-game manual will be updated with the game soon. Original post has been updated. Hooray, i'm ahead of the game for once! :)

Changelist:
    - Most of Illu's suggestions / corrections have been made (Thank you so much Illu, you should have a job as an editor!)
    - Updated "Main Menu" page to reflect new design.
    - Updated "Gametypes" page. "Singleplayer" changed to "Solo". Added "Sandbox". Reduced CTF description. Moved tent explanation here. Other minor changes.
    - Updated "Construction" page with new block menu.
    - Updated "Basic Blocks" page. Removed structures, added workshop block. Updated door sprite and cost. Other minor changes.
    - Structures pg.1 has been changed to "Workshops". Explains new workshop functionality in detail.
    - Structures pg.2 has been changed to "Siege Equipment". Explains what the siege workshop is, what it can make, and their costs. Catapult description reduced and placed here.
    - Added MM and Geti's in-game characters to the "Credits" page.

The hosted version is completely database driven and very easy to edit now (has been since last version actually). If you'd like to see how it works or make some edits, i'd be more than happy to show you how!

All of the graphics work was done exclusively in photoshop. The web-stuff isn't flash, but is all custom built using PHP, JavaScript, and MySQL. The content can easily be translated by you (or others that may be interested) EXCEPT for the captions under each image, as they are actually part of the image itself. I'm trying to figure out a way to render the captions dynamically but it's turning out to be kind-of tough. You, and the others who've already shown interest, will be the 1st to know when it's ready for translation! Thank you for the offer!

Strathos, you're too kind! It's statements like yours that make all the time i've spent on this, more than worth-while. My inspiration has always been some of the great matches we had together, way back in the beginning. Thank You!!!

BlueLuigi, Salted, Strathos and 2 others like this.
  12. Salted

Salted Bison Rider

@SirSalami, thank you for your work.

Just want to point out that amount of resources needed to convert workshops (build 264) is wrong

13. IloveElectro

IloveElectro Base Burner

Yeah I saw it too at the last page ! The zombie animation ! And nice new version Salami ;)

14. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Shopkeep Stealer

Only thing awkward about this is that you can't press the pages in the list to get to a certain chapter.
    Other than that nice job!

15. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I'm sorry if I am stupid/nooby, but I don't understand this diagram on XV. how is the bottom left structure not supported? Are you unable to build like that, or are you simply saying that it's not recommended?

Attached Files:

16. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Good eye ParaLogia!

The diagram was accurate in a very old build of this game. Now it's simply more of a suggestion. However, there are some blocks which still act like this, such as ladders.

I honestly miss the days when the diagram was true as there was no such thing as a sky-bridge without proper supports back then. :(

Perhaps i'll grudgingly update it soon. ;)

Sadly that can't be done without removing the ability to turn pages by clicking on them. Each page is essentially a big link and makes actual (normal) links embedded in the page not function. The only way to resolve this is to make arrows or something beside each page for turning, which i didn't like.

17. Khombhat

Khombhat Shopkeep Stealer

What an awesome Contribution!
    This should be packaged with the game itself and updated as needed.

18. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

Update coming for zombie mode?

19. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

SirSalami is well aware of the need for updates in light of the changes :p

Valkyrie and illu like this.
  20. Creille

Creille Base Burner

This is an amazing piece of work great work :D I reckon the manual if the game is ever available in store would be perfect :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.