1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Acavado Spikes

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Acavado, Nov 8, 2011.

1. palmito

palmito Shopkeep Stealer

Good traps ;)

2. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Hey hey, rewind a bit. These work now, again, even though regular ceiling spikes have become tools of alchemy.

Hitting a ceilings spike screws up the block under the spike, but it doesn't screw up a retracted team bridge. So while, as I've tested, dirt background turns to stone blocks, and stone background stone turn to slopes and gold, and outposts turn into corner pieces then fallen gravel, tree trunks turn into doors and team doors turn into enemy doors; team bridges don't turn into anything.

Nor does air. And air spikes under the ceiling ones break the ceiling ones, doing you no damage unless you immediately land...
    Really it's gotten pretty messed up but anyway Acavado Spikes work now. But you might want a backup plan if you don't want to be inconvenienced when someone puts somethere there to make the tile glitch, untouchable and unbuild-on-able until someone else dies from a spike. Just don't put weird shit instead of team bridges and you should be fine.

Rayne likes this.
  3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

They still work in given situations, I do completely agree with that, but telling someone not to "mess it up" is often the common problem with all structures anyway:

You: "Hay, stop! Don't put that stone there!"
    IT: "Huh? I'm helping noob."
    You: "Please stop, that is nerfing it!"
    IT: "No Your Dumb."
    IT: "*griefs base* Happy noob?"
    You: "-.-"

Chinizz likes this.
  4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Right that is common, usually they get rid of everything they dislike or don't comprehend, and replace it with generic things they like and can see merit to (eg door hallway); specifically in this case I think it's unlikely they'll make sure to keep the part of your trap that could instakill you when replacing it with their own things due to the automatic "SPIKES BAD" reflex. But indeed, this can't be built if there are any people on your team who have a tendency to take it apart.

Carver and Contrary like this.
  5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

When this comes up, it's good to be the admin.

6. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Hi, so maybe you guys have noticed that these things sometimes hit you randomly even with the team bridge? I found that this build (349) there are some things you'll have to add or else the trap won't be completely team safe.

One, on this structure you'll consistently take a heart of damage when you vault up without bracing against the side of the block, which happens every time when you notch climb.
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :spikes_bg::spikes_bg::blank::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :bridge::bridge::blank::bridge::bridge:
    :castle_wall::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::door:
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::door:
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:

It looks like an air-spike/auto-spike related effect since you can fix it by placing a second team bridge under the floating one.
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :bridge::bridge:
    :castle_wall::bridge:

Two, it seems an air spike forms when you jump in and the top door opens before the bottom door. This isn't as common since you have to do some pretty weird halting jump for it to happen.
    :door::spikes_bg:
    :door::bridge:
    :castle_wall:
    turns into
    :blank::spikes_bg:

Same deal, the effect disappears with a second team bridge.
    :door::spikes_bg:
    :door::bridge:

Three, magical slide corner air spike magic. This happens if you hit the right corner, by wall-sliding perhaps, go through the spike maybe and land on the block on the other side.
    :blank::castle_wall::migrant:
    :blank::bridge:

Just don't let anyone touch the side of the ceiling block, if it's a problem.
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::migrant:
    :blank::bridge:

and that's all I know of it. Ye be warned.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yea, found this out with muffin the other day. It's fucking weird.

Not that it matters, edging is back and not hard to learn, so yeah.

:)

8. MrChair

MrChair Shipwright

I prefer something like this:

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::spikes_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :door::bridge::bridge::bridge:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:

BlueLuigi likes this.
  9. Creille

Creille Base Burner

You are finally saying what ive been thinking FOR AGES!
    you go to build something for instance one way tunnel
    and there minds have a meltdown and start breaking it to make it easier to get down :/

10. enjoyaol

enjoyaol Shark Slayer

<rant>I love these traps, but am really _really_ fed up by builders on all servers just removing the spikes because 1 time out of 100, it hurts my team. I am really really fed up !!! </end of rant>

Noburu, BlueLuigi and MrChair like this.
  11. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

Man this had Inspired me to learn to become a trap master.

12. sharmus

sharmus Builder Stabber

could this be done with auto-spikes (ones that dont require you to jump on them)?

13. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Auto-spikes don't really work currently. They do one or two hearts at most, and only kill if a player is stupid enough to keep walking into them.

killatron46 likes this.