1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Hello, am I in the right place? (sprite request)

Discussion in 'Requests' started by PalladiumGirl, Aug 28, 2015.

1. PalladiumGirl

PalladiumGirl Catapult Fodder

First of all, I am terribly sorry in case im writing in the wrong forum/doing something that's not supposed to be done, because im not too smart to read things i guess::(:

eh
    i would like someone to draw a head sprite based on this poorly done terrible ugly picture for absolutely nothing because i believe in kind people.
    [​IMG]

2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Kind people exist, but kind people don't always have the ability to back up their kindness.

As an amateur pixel artist, I decided to take up the request myself, for practice. Almost 2 hours later, most of my efforts still look like a hot mess. What I have right now is an oversized gold blob with added details:

[​IMG]

I think I could reduce the size if I change the style of the helmet, because it's very difficult to fit the vertical slots in such a small amount of space.

Let me know what you think, @PalladiumGirl -- should I change the helmet, or is this fat helmet okay with you? Is the plume the right size? Is the color palette as you were hoping for?

Any criticism is as helpful for me as it is for you.

blackjoker77777, RadioActive and Tern like this.
  3. PalladiumGirl

Wow, Im suprised that actually really did respond, thanks a lot. I could say im quite satisfied with the sprite, looks sweet. Golden color looks nice, the plume is a bit messy tho.
    But, since you seek to improve and want criticism, here it is: if it's okay with you, try resizing the crown and plum a bit. Base helmet looks fine. Right now, plume doesnt look like it is attached to helmet at all. Thanks for the effort, kind person!::)::thumbs_up:

4. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

So, a smaller crown? I was pretty tired by the time I got to working on the plume, so I'll touch it up when I get the chance.

5. PalladiumGirl

Yes
    it kinda looks like the distance between eh those crown spikes is too big or something

6. ParaLogia

palladiumbig.png
    Uploading a new version between (school) classes, tell me what you think.

PalladiumGirl.png

7. PalladiumGirl

the middle one looks really snappy, i think ill go with that one
    nice work!:thumbs_up:

8. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Each head is 3 frames. That's just one. So by choosing the middle one you are choosing all of them. :)

9. PalladiumGirl

that doesnt look like proper head animation on default heads
    these be just 3 variants
    and i choose middle 1

10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

1 is when you're not doing anything, 2 is when you're attacking/digging, 3 is when youre stunned/dead.

11. PalladiumGirl

thats what i said
    those are different a bit helmets with different plumes
    they arent different animations of one helmet

12. ParaLogia

Um, they sorta were intended to be animations of the same helmet. I like to incorporate movement in the sprite, so the plume kinda swings back and forth as you jab or whatever. The helmet itself shouldn't change much, except in the last frame, because the dead/stunned sprite is usually like a half-overhead view.

But if you like the look of the second frame, then I can just replace the first frame with that one, so the won't be any movement between frames (except for the last one, which has to be a different size or else it'll look weird).

PalladiumGirl.png

13. PalladiumGirl

well yeah i didnt quite see the animation, i thought the "chin" of the helmet and plume just were different variants :D
    i tried to animate it myself tho maxmertenshed.PNG

14. ParaLogia

Well the sprite is now yours to use, in whatever way you see fit.

If you want to test out the heads in game, then replace your Heads.png with the file below. (The path is \KAG\Base\Entities\Characters\Sprites\Heads.png )

Heads.png

I replaced the default male knight head with the version that has movement between frames, and the default female knight head with the version without movement.