1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1085] How to annoy archers and bomb-jumpers

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by DooMAD, Apr 14, 2014.

1. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Cheap and easy to build. Make sure it's built high enough that knights can't jump and slash at it. Don't make it a solid row of platforms or build the supports with wood, otherwise a single fire arrow could ruin it.

noclimbforyou.png

2. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Disregarding archers spazzing through one block wide holes, that tower has *at least* one more platform than actually necessary. Maybe two, I'm not entirely sure about overhang lengths when archers have something above themselves to grab.

Unnecessary complaints aside, it looks pretty nice.
    Maybe replace the ledge by the doors with a single trap block a bit farther to the left and flush the doors and upper spike to the overhang (using the doors to *start* the over hang).
    Maybe even keep the old overhang and just have two?
    Though I'm not entirely sure how I feel about either of those tweaks, I'll have to get back to you on that after I try them out.

Edit:
    *5 blocks higher than the picture shows.

Edit2: *facepalms for not seeing it sooner*
    Stud a sideways wood rooted spike off of the wall a couple blocks below the very top of the tower (well above the overhang) so that a nicely angled bomb-jump won't allow for wall running.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

A well timed bomb can break it easily to

4. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

This is the kind of building type i banned in the grapple contest that no one took part in!
    I was right!

5. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

There isn't a single anti-grapple building that won't stop functioning properly if it meets a well timed bomb, or quite a few other things for that matter.
    Ten to one that either you can patch it up before the archer comes, archers have to wade through CQC to get to the hole, or you've already lost the tower.

Edit: In response to toffie's additional comment I'd like to point out that my initial response was built on the assumption that she meant the overhang can become worthless if you punch a small hole into it.
    Block collapse riggings aside I cannot think of a single structure that cannot be improved by adding more backwall.
    And no, one bomb cannot collapse the entire overhang, at best you can remove the unnecessary tip.

As far as spikes go 60 stone is not a hefty investment by any stretch of the imagination and of all of the places to put stone rooted spikes those are among the best (defensively anyways).
    The upper spike's use is slightly diminished by the overhang, but even it is still useful (especially if you put the overhang higher without raising the door).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

It can be fixed by adding more back walling or to make it less of a waste when destroyed get rid of some of the unnecessary traps.

7. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

The length is more to do with bomb-jumpers. The further they need to travel horizontally, the less height they're going to achieve. Depending on what resources you have available, you might be better off spending more stone and making the tower taller, or it might be better, resource-wise, to spend more wood making the platform longer.

I'll bare the other comments in mind, though, and experiment a bit more.

Yeah, I realise now they can bounce off the tower and be high enough to hit the platforms. Definitely needs to be higher up.

8. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

This is my worst nightmare, but the spaced out platforms mean that I can glitch-pull myself through them.

I hope that nobody actually builds this.. =<

Also, bonus points for the archer nook. :heart:

9. sangfroid

sangfroid What is your raison d'ĂȘtre? Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Just a suggestion to put downward-facing plats above each spaced section. Otherwise, like Trumbles mentioned, you can just pull through the space:

Whereas if you place the plats:

Sir_Walter, kodysch and zerd like this.
  10. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Just pointing out that I had already mentioned this.

I've tried building something similar in actual matches before, but it tended to die immediately and took to long to build (though the new spike mechanics are giving some ideas about one of my more notable failed designs).
    If you ever do encounter one of these, could you do me a favor an bypass it with a chicken instead of a special arrow?

11. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Oddly enough, I was going to try that when I had some spare time to experiment, but cheers for saving me the trouble ::D: . Good to know it solves the problem, whilst still staying resistant to fire arrows.

12. Illien

Illien Catapult Fodder

I have take the idea and add a hill and a trap under. Else, if they try to climb they finish in wooden spikes.

[​IMG]

My hill is like this :

:castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg: :castle_wall::castle_wall::tree:
    :castle_bg::castle_bg: :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::tree::tree:
    :castle_bg: :castle_wall: :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::tree::tree::tree:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::tree::tree::tree::tree:

If they put fire on wood hill, it's easy to rebuild and if the wood hill was destroy they fall in the trap.

Damage after a barril powder attack :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    DooMAD likes this.
  13. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

I dont much care for spike pits like that. a few random bombs that will just roll off the hills will set you back 300 stone.

14. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

The problem with towers with overhangs like this (while they work amazingly well against archers and bomb jumpers) is building them. Creating this overhang involves coming out from the tower, if you build it from above by using ladders, I can guarantee that every archer will target you, the only way to really do it is by jumping out during lulls in the battle, but I would spend that time creating smaller offensive towers.

Also an archer with a keg that has been lit by a knight can grapple the platforms and take them all out at once.

Great concept, but hard to implement.