1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dev Peek: Boat and Room Art and Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Rooms:

We've committed to a few large changes for the default setup for rooms.

Firstly, they're 8x4 tiles in size now.
    Secondly, they come in a few subtypes rather than there just being a whole discrete workshop for each task. This lets us ensure construction flow a little more strictly; we're debating whether tech will be needed for workshop upgrades or not at the moment.

Most of the subtypes will have some default functionality - for example, a carpentry room will always have a carpentry bench and be able to perform basic carpentry stuff, but will require an upgrade to build siege weapons, or boats. An agriculture room will always have a nursery, but may have a larder for storing food/spawns or may have its seed generation output doubled.

The subtypes are:
    • agriculture
    • barracks
    • library
    • carpentry
    • masonry
    • quarters
    Most of these are visible below:

RoomsPreview.png

Quarters are an exception to this - they'll come with a bed, and can be claimed by one player. From then on, they'll act as a spawn for that one unit - this means a team will have to construct infrastructure for its players to have a regular forward spawn point (you'll be able to spawn back at the home port after ~30s otherwise).

This applies for WAR mode only of course.

Note that because all of this is implemented in the scripting language, server owners can mod it back to the old 3x3 style of shops if they like. We want to structure the game a little more and focus on making one mode work very well rather than trying to make a lot of content work across the board.

Boats:

Here's the 5 basic boats we're planning on implementing (There may be one larger "Galleon" boat but we're having trouble figuring out how it'd actually get in game being so huge... So we'll see)
    I'm going to drop their (current) names, and you can speculate about their functionality ;)
    • Log Raft
    • Dinghy
    • Arrow Dingy
    • Covered Launch
    • Support Boat
    BoatsPeek.png

That's all for this week, hope you've enjoyed the peek :)
    Max/Geti

demon2000, Razzey, reyman and 53 others like this.
  2. FG

FG Fran Donator

i love the look of the new shops and upgrades. thanks for the peek. i like the sound of the galleon too!(hope it doesn't cause to much trouble.)

Froghead48 and Geti like this.
  3. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Awesome!
    Everything in this post is great; boats, awesome shops.........stop making me more and more impatient! xD

Froghead48 and Geti like this.
  4. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

This will be completly awesome!

If you add Galleons, how will the cannons work on the side? Or will it just be archer v archer wars on boats?

5. MatheusGbrl

MatheusGbrl Catapult Fodder

when get the new version ?will it take?

6. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

MEDIIIIC ! -
    boat.
    Really pumped for an update- first time in a while. Keep up the sensational work, devs!

7. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Log Raft- 'nuf said.
    Dinghy- Faster raft, so to speak.
    Arrow Dinghy- Arrow Turret on a Dinghy
    Cover Launch- Yay, screw arrows! "Armored" ship, protects from arrows.(rocks kinda too?)
    Support Boat- Medic station on a boat FTW!(supplies/changing class[at least to builder] maybe too?)
    Galleon?- Extremely large boat, with perhaps a cannon, holds a large number of people.
    New shops look boss, liking what im seeing.
    Quarters having new meaning is a great thing, all of the times I've seen people build "INN's", i thought they were a waste of space, which is true for the current builds, but now i shall revise my opinions when the build comes out!
    On a side note "- Ammo" oh my, oh my, what have we here? Ballista bullets, or somthing more?!

xChapx and DrZaloski like this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Awwww, i love the new shop ideas, and those new boat designs are fricking amazing, i love it, keep up da good work yo!

9. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Those boats make my life happy. :) I approve of this thread. :thumbs_up:
    Edit: I also hope the galleon comes through that would be mega awesome! Thanks for the peek and Keep workin hard guys! You seem to be doing a great job!

fiddy likes this.
  10. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Well with my knowledge of sailing
    Log raft - seems to be more of something that is used to escape or in desperate times to get to someplace with low resources
    Dingy - seems to be something you use to go onto land, as a galleon is not meant to go near land (Hopefully you'll implement water depth and how far down a ship is in water) as a galleon would get damaged and sink
    Arrow Dingy - Seems like something you use to raid a castle by the sea
    Covered Launch - Seems like it's for moving into a base with too a' many archers.
    Support craft - Repairing a craft in the midst of battle
    Galleon - Larger ship , good for moving large amounts of stuff, no seriously , why don't you implement a frigate and sloop?
    Sloops are fast, frigates are strong , galleons have a lot of cargo.
    Now someone is going to go from wikipedia and go like "OMGOGM UR RONG -copypaste- "
    This is just a simplified breakdown
    In the mechanics shop are we going to need to turn lumber into planks?
    Speaking of, we need planks.
    Yeah, I never found the point to those except for in zombie fortress when we raised zombie fighting armies.
    Ballista's don't use bullets, they use giant bolts.
    Ammo may refer to more proper cannonballs , flaming catapult ammo, fire arrows, shite like dat.

xChapx and dnmr like this.
  11. Pod

Pod Horde Gibber

If I BUILD the bed do I automatically claim it?

I can imagine slaving away to build a bed and some dick immediately jumps in it, 'assigning' that bed to him.

12. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Those arts, they are AMAZING! :D That agriculture workshop, you can make seeds. How about that if i can make a tree seed, can i plant it? it will be cool for Zombie fortress and sandbox servers. Could you please do it like that? Oh and are there any animal peeking too? ;)

13. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Based on the image, at first sight, it doesn't look very obvious that you can heal yourself in that room. Looking at the barracks with its eagle emblem, the agriculture room could have a red cross emblem on it or something similar.

dnmr likes this.
  14. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Holy crap, I totally didn't expect to see blog update, my weekly fix is done.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Reactorcore: a nursery is a place where you buy tiny plants, not a place where you get healed, iirc.

xChapx, Hella, Rayne and 1 other person like this.
  16. Looks sweet as fuck.

Large rooms <3.

Geti and inactive_account like this.
  17. FranticIch

FranticIch Let me be your tank... Donator

The 3rd boat looks like it has a MB- Mashine Bow xD
    </br>--- merged: Oct 23, 2012 12:05 PM ---</br>
    Is it possible to put catas etc. on any of those boats to transport them eversea?

18. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Oh, my bad, didn't know that.
    Its just when you hear it the first time, there is the word "nurse" in it, so I figured it meant like a lesser hospital or something.
    I figured the healing was done using herb mixtures and such in that context, since thats what they had in the old times.

19. Username5679

Username5679 Shark Slayer

How do you get boats into water? Do you carry them like you carry catapults, or push them?

Also:
    [​IMG]

20. fiddy

fiddy Bison Rider

Haha good work whit the boats, but i laugh a bit since the war mode now 'a days, is just high walls and bombjumpers..
    And no big water areas where boats can be really usefull, but some good maps that makes boats better will surely be made.

And the room changes, or the updated ones, look fantastic.
    And the whole kite-flying-whit-boat thing aint taken away right, that you showed in a video : l

Keep these good news coming, i bet we are all looking forward to the next update : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.